Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by MB »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:05 am Why is it at that level? The article indicates the UNHCR aren't processing people having put their own checks in place. If nobody is getting as far as our scheme is that down to the scheme?
There are thousands of Afghans who worked for us and just need a nod. That nod isn't being given yet it is to thousands and thousands of Ukrainians. It is really difficult not to say that is about optics.

The UNHCR thing is different. That is people applying for refugee status which is really difficult.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

6,000 visas for people that helped us. 6,000 for people evacuated.

The scheme being picked up on in the article requires UN screening before names are passed on. Or at least that's what the lawyer of the guy mentioned seems to be blaming.

It also requires 3rd country application so people have got to get out of Afghanistan.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Four died yesterday, when their dinghy capsized
In freezing seas, mid channel
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:45 am Four died yesterday, when their dinghy capsized
In freezing seas, mid channel
crazy to think poeple are out in the sea in fishing boats, let alone dinghies. :shock:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:55 am crazy to think poeple are out in the sea in fishing boats, let alone dinghies. :shock:
.. and to think they each paid 5k to cross thd channel that way too. Seems a bit of a rip off to me
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

It's unbelievable human misery and the UK government are complicit in it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Don't they ever say to the people traffickers, don't you think this vessel looks a bit dodgy and unsafe to carry so many many people? Cos, that's what I would say
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 am It's unbelievable human misery and the UK government are complicit in it.
How many do you want to let in each year Hammer?
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:28 am How many do you want to let in each year Hammer?
How many do you want to die?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:32 am How many do you want to die?
None. So I guess let them all in, no questions asked. If millions want to come, good on 'em.

What fantasy world do you live in?
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:35 am None. So I guess let them all in, no questions asked. If millions want to come, good on 'em.

What fantasy world do you live in?
Is certainly not one where I just make up conversations in my head to make myself feel better.

Me giving you a number doesn't make the government less complicit in the deaths. The government can't even give you a number. And even if they could it's not going to stop people coming here. What you or I want or say is irrelevant to the needs of these people. So the people in charge, the people who took back control of the border, need to sort it out. They are the ones with the resources, the data, the diplomatic relationships. It's on them. Every single death. And not just the UK, the rest of Europe are as bad. It won't get better by putting more police patrols on the French coast. Or threatening to send people to Rwanda. Or keeping them locked up in processing centres for months and years on end. They've been doing the same **** for years and years and it continues to get worse.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:00 am .. and to think they each paid 5k to cross thd channel that way too. Seems a bit of a rip off to me
Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 am Don't they ever say to the people traffickers, don't you think this vessel looks a bit dodgy and unsafe to carry so many many people? Cos, that's what I would say
Do you think you're funny and/or witty?

Families are often selling everything they have for one person to escape whatever hell they are in, attempting to find a better life. I don't pretend to encourage widespread migration but would like for the rich world to put aside petty differences and help those in need, as opposed to lining their own pockets and seeking more power than they need.

However, and very rarely might I add, remarks such as yours genuinely boil my piss.

Have some empathy for the pain and suffering these people are going through before they leave their family home, during their marches across wasteland with very little and then having a pretty high percentage of dying in freezing cold waters - out of sheer desperation.

Sometimes, Puff, it's better if you prevent yourself from posting. You're well known for constant drivel and delusion and it seems you've revelled in it for years - but let's not take the piss out of suffering and death, eh.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:00 am .. and to think they each paid 5k to cross thd channel that way too. Seems a bit of a rip off to me
Not cool Puff :hush:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

In a parallel universe this happens:

The USA invades the UK and commits unimaginable atrocities. I hear that there is a chance I can get my kids out of the country but it will cost me everything I've got and then some. I sell the lot, I work four terrible jobs, my wife prostitutes herself and I eat one meal every three days, slowly starving myself to death.

We just have enough to send one kid. Not both. Just one.

We decide to send our 8 year old daughter because she is more capable than our 5 year old. We hear that a friend of the family is attempting to escape and we beg him to take her, he agrees.

Our daughters job is to get to the safe haven of Syria and then try to convince the authorities to accept her in the country and also allow her younger brother to join her. My wife and I know that we'll never see her again. She has a good chance of dying, but better to take the risk than her dying here with us. In God we trust.

That scenario might seem far fetched. But when you think about it, it isn't, is it?

It also happened in the late 1930's in Europe and it happened this year as my outlaws took in families from Eastern Ukraine. It's happening right now and innocent, desperate people are dying on the streets, in the fields and in the oceans whilst very few who can make a difference, actually do.

Sorry for ranting, it is unlike me and not appropriate for this forum. I'll take some time to cool off with a fast run in the snow :newthumb:
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Emotive stuff that would hit home more if the hell they choose to escape from wasn't France........
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Why isn't the same asked about Ukrainians that crossed any of Poland, Germany, France or any of the other safe European countries first?
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:43 pm Why isn't the same asked about Ukrainians that crossed any of Poland, Germany, France or any of the other safe European countries first?
What was the question?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:43 pm Why isn't the same asked about Ukrainians that crossed any of Poland, Germany, France or any of the other safe European countries first?
You could equally ask why these people on dinghy's don't apply for a uk visa in any of the locations you listed.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:42 pm You could equally ask why these people on dinghy's don't apply for a uk visa in any of the locations you listed.
If you'd kindly explain the mechanics of how they do that, I'm sure they'd be grateful
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:42 pm You could equally ask why these people on dinghy's don't apply for a uk visa in any of the locations you listed.
Because they can apply for asylum in any country they want to.