Where are you from?

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Post Reply
User avatar
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Posts: 21797
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:13 pm
Has liked: 3630 likes
Total likes: 1596 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by MB »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:35 pm Fair enough. If there are literally books written I take my previous comment back.

But just to be clear, it's OK to ask a white person where they're from, but not a black person? So we should treat them differently on account of their colour?
It is ok to ask anyone where they are from. What isn’t alright is once they’ve answered to challenge them on it (repeatedly) whatever the colour of their skin, what they are wearing, your age and mental capacity.

The colour of their skin just decides whether you are plain rude or plain rude with the possibility of a sprinkle of casual racism.

As Hammer1966 has pointed out, the “no, where are you really from…” is a trigger question everyone in this day and age should be aware of.
User avatar
Plashet Grove Pete
Posts: 3451
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Well I for one will err on the side of caution in future. Don't want to risk causing offence.
User avatar
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Posts: 21797
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:13 pm
Has liked: 3630 likes
Total likes: 1596 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by MB »

Friend or Foé wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:55 pm Yet again that was the point. We all have only the details we are dealt through the same sources. What we don’t have is the intent from the old toff. But that hasn’t stopped anyone deciding that it was totally racially motivated. That therefore is also fiction.
Well no it isn’t as one of the parties involved I.e. someone first hand has put that version out. Now there will always be bias in first hand accounts, but given the other party didn’t challenge it and has apologised I think we are allowed to take it at face value. So that is fact. Fact you can challenge the context of. Fact that you can challenge the motive behind sharing but still fact vs your made up b*llocks.
User avatar
Hammer1966
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 11:40 pm
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Hammer1966 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:35 pm Fair enough. If there are literally books written I take my previous comment back.

But just to be clear, it's OK to ask a white person where they're from, but not a black person? So we should treat them differently on account of their colour?
At the risk of repeating myself and coming across as condescending (I'm trying not to so apologies if you feel like I am)...

She was asked where she was from. She answered. She was then asked where she was really from because the person asking the question didn't accept her answer because of the colour of her skin. It's not the first question that's the issue here. People of colour have consistently highlighted this kind of questioning as a problem for them for years. This isn't new. She wasn't the first privileged, upper class white person to push the 'really from' line at a black person and she won't be the last. Which is why it's a problem. Because a lot of black people see it as a challenge to their identity. If you're not 'really' from here then you don't belong. It's a loaded question that can trigger the reaction it got in this instance.
User avatar
chelmsfordhammer91
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford
Has liked: 325 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

If she'd just asked "sorry, I meant what is your family heritage", then there wouldn't have been an issue.

The issue is the use of the word "really", in the context of the whole situation along woth current social narrative.
User avatar
dasnutnock3
Posts: 3302
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 pm
Has liked: 1053 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The best part about all this righteousness and indignation is that those expressing it now will almost certainly find themselves on the receiving end of the same in a few years time.
User avatar
chelmsfordhammer91
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford
Has liked: 325 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:55 pm The best part about all this righteousness and indignation is that those expressing it now will almost certainly find themselves on the receiving end of the same in a few years time.
Especially nowadays where it appears to carry weight at being offended on behalf of someone else, despite not receiving any personal offence.
User avatar
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Posts: 21797
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:13 pm
Has liked: 3630 likes
Total likes: 1596 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by MB »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:55 pm The best part about all this righteousness and indignation is that those expressing it now will almost certainly find themselves on the receiving end of the same in a few years time.
I’ve been on the receiving end of a false accusation of racism at work. Didn’t change my views or approach at all. Just made me realise the person involved was a complete c***.

I’ve also seen plenty of actual racism in my time and like to think I know the difference.

I’m also yet to meet anyone who plays the woke, PC gone crazy card who isn’t a complete ****hole.
User avatar
sendô
Posts: 40733
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.
Has liked: 1281 likes
Total likes: 1282 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by sendô »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:47 pm People of colour
We’ve imported a lot of cringe Americanisms in this country down the years, but this has to be one of the absolute worst. Are the rest of us “colourless”? Is grouping everyone into white vs non white helpful?

There is rarely if ever a discussion on race anywhere these days that does not make cringe, because it always ends up with some variation of “you cant do that because your skin colour is wrong”.
User avatar
old fart
Posts: 5803
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:31 am
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 122 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by old fart »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:25 pm I’ve been on the receiving end of a false accusation of racism at work. Didn’t change my views or approach at all. Just made me realise the person involved was a complete c***.

Yes, I've been there, spent 6 weeks suspended from work, until I got a hearing, the accuser was indeed a complete c***, who admitted to me on the day he left, a couple of years laterthat he did it in a fit of pique
Friend or Foé
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:14 pm
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Friend or Foé »

MB wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:45 pm Well no it isn’t as one of the parties involved I.e. someone first hand has put that version out. Now there will always be bias in first hand accounts, but given the other party didn’t challenge it and has apologised I think we are allowed to take it at face value. So that is fact. Fact you can challenge the context of. Fact that you can challenge the motive behind sharing but still fact vs your made up b*llocks.
Royal protocol won’t allow for tit-fir-tat spats, so you won’t get a challenge. So it’s pretty easy to make an accusation against them or their reps and I’m pretty certain that could be factored in when an accusation is made, so I wouldn’t judge the confidence of your justification if basing it upon that. It seems that there are plenty here that find what has gone on as along the same lines as I’ve suggested. i.e. the old toff has approached the situation incorrectly and miss “african name” has made a bit of a meal of it.
You’re never going to eliminate genuine cultural differences creating misunderstandings , whether you or I perceive it to be racism or not.
User avatar
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Posts: 8828
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:40 am
Location: Cheshire
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 228 likes
Contact:

Re: Where are you from?

Post by btajim - mcfc »

In London, I’d often get “where are you from?” and my first response was “originally?” As far as I was concerned, London was home. As diverse as London is, most who drank in the E6 pubs had lived in Newham their entire lives.
User avatar
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Posts: 21797
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:13 pm
Has liked: 3630 likes
Total likes: 1596 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by MB »

Friend or Foé wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:35 pm Royal protocol won’t allow for tit-fir-tat spats,
I’m sure it doesn’t allow for water boarding guests either…
User avatar
Plashet Grove Pete
Posts: 3451
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

From the Beeb ...

"In the statement on Wednesday, the Palace said they had "reached out to Ngozi Fulani on this matter" - but the next day, Ms Fulani told the BBC no direct contact had been made.

The BBC now understands dialogue is taking place with Ms Fulani's team - but at this stage no further details are being shared".

Go Team Fulani!
User avatar
Samba
Posts: 20608
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: David Sullivan's least favourite fluffer.
Has liked: 2195 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Samba »

sendô wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:44 pm We’ve imported a lot of cringe Americanisms in this country down the years, but this has to be one of the absolute worst. Are the rest of us “colourless”? Is grouping everyone into white vs non white helpful?
I'm sure you're completely see-through, just like me, sendo..
It could seem like, white isn't a colour in terms of the saying. Not that white people are actually white. Even albinos' skin isn't white, white, as far as I know.
Even totally 'white' people with some known, black ancestry, are referred to as a 'person of colour'.
If we all came from Africa originally, shirley we're all 'people of colour'.
User avatar
Shabu
Posts: 7407
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Has liked: 2298 likes
Total likes: 991 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Shabu »

Samba wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:40 pm I'm sure you're completely see-through, just like me, sendo..
It could seem like, white isn't a colour in terms of the saying. Not that white people are actually white. Even albinos' skin isn't white, white, as far as I know.
Even totally 'white' people with some known, black ancestry, are referred to as a 'person of colour'.
If we all came from Africa originally, shirley we're all 'people of colour'.
I think, but not sure, it comes from when white Americans would refer to everyone else as a person of colour, thinking it was better than the other terms they had for Blacks, Mexicans, Chinese etc etc
User avatar
Shabu
Posts: 7407
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Has liked: 2298 likes
Total likes: 991 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Shabu »

How many people had heard of this lady's charity before this news broke and how many have heard of it now?

From a marketing standpoint it's f*cking genius.
User avatar
delbert
Posts: 25428
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:27 pm
Location: Barking, home of the slowly meandering Prius
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 310 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:44 pm We’ve imported a lot of cringe Americanisms in this country down the years, but this has to be one of the absolute worst. Are the rest of us “colourless”? Is grouping everyone into white vs non white helpful?

There is rarely if ever a discussion on race anywhere these days that does not make cringe, because it always ends up with some variation of “you cant do that because your skin colour is wrong”.
It looks like the equally ridiculous "BAME" is thankfully on the way out:

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/cou ... -inclusion

If they really want inclusiveness then instead of inventing stupid terms that label and create division, just call everyone people.........
User avatar
Hammer1966
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 11:40 pm
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by Hammer1966 »

delbert wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:00 am It looks like the equally ridiculous "BAME" is thankfully on the way out:

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/cou ... -inclusion

If they really want inclusiveness then instead of inventing stupid terms that label and create division, just call everyone people.........
https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/et ... d-language

'They' didn't invent racial labels. White supremacists did.
User avatar
DaveWHU1964
Posts: 14311
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 am
Has liked: 714 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Re: Where are you from?

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Friend or Foé wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:46 am Or one you don’t agree with.

Others have liked it.
Having read your point of view on most things I’d be more shocked if you’d agreed with it.
Yep, me too in fairness.
Post Reply