Football within relationships

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

ageing hammer
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Re: Football within relationships

Post by ageing hammer »

My wife never objects to me watching West Ham for 90 mins.

I never object to her watching 50 soaps a night...................................
mushy
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 461 likes

Post by mushy »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm

On the surface she seemed to be my ideal woman: supported WHU, liked a drink, was completely fifth in the bedroom, wealthy, had a very good high publically profile facing job and was quite independent.

I've narrowed it down to either Edwina Currie or Angela Rippon.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

mushy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 am I've narrowed it down to either Edwina Currie or Angela Rippon.
And she was punching
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:45 am Been with my current missus for ten years. She knows I'm into football and was when we met. She never once moans about it or gives me a hard time for watching it on the box. By the same token, I NEVER take a bad result out on her, that's just a c***ish thing to do and in the grand scheme of things, she nearly died from stage three breast cancer so I know where West Ham and my missus lie in terms of context.
I had a cancerous part of my bowel cut away earlier this year so I know football falls in to insignificance.

Nevertheless, we’ve talked about it and are fine again. I’m hardly a lad’s lad. She’s better than me with her hands and more amiable than me with others.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 295 likes

Post by Rio »

My missus knew my football devotion before I met her. She, more than me is adamant I should keep going, because I’m wavering now. Without West Ham, you wouldn’t be the person I met etc. is her line.

It’s true. This club has shaped my life so much and been a true constant for so long, without it I wouldn’t know who else I am.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 413 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

My wife hates football, but is never bothered if I go to a match. She may complain about watching it on TV from time to time but usually she’s the first to change the channel over for me if she knows it’s on.

I’m glad she doesn’t like it tbh. Gives me a bit of ‘me time’ or time with just me and the step son.
Bobbysgirl
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Bobbysgirl »

Well there's the usual carping on when Strictly occasionally clashes with the Saturday night football, but there it is, can't be helped.

I'm just not a Strictly fan.
Samba
Has liked: 2208 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Samba »

Bobbysgirl wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:47 pm Well there's the usual carping on when Strictly occasionally clashes with the Saturday night football, but there it is, can't be helped.

I'm just not a Strictly fan.
:crylol:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Rio wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:25 pmIt’s true. This club has shaped my life so much and been a true constant for so long, without it I'd be a Spurs fan & how bad would that be then?
Misko
Has liked: 143 likes
Total likes: 652 likes

Post by Misko »

I had never really thought of it before reading the thread, but football actually had an influence on a significant part of my love life. When I was younger and travelling a lot for away games of OL, it happened not only once, but twice, to meet a girl during these trips whom I would later be in a rather serious relationship (> 1 year) with.

And, actually, football also played a part in winning the heart of the one who has now been my wife for ten years. When I first met her, it was in Belgrade, and she mentionedthat her brother was playing professional football in the local first division. And as I was able to mention clubs other clubs than the obvious Red Star and Partizan when trying to guess which club he plaed for, she was actually amazed I would know them and amused at how clumsy I was pronouncing the names. She later mentioned this as the moment she really started thinking I might be special. So the amount of information I had been saving in my brain through my compulsive reading of France Football and the weird interest I have for the minor European leagues proved themselves not as useless as I thought they were.
sword
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by sword »

"I've narrowed it down to either Edwina Currie or Angela Rippon."

Briefly met Angela early 80s, seemed to be a lovely person, can't imagine her being a MOT.

Sooo... :chin:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 379 likes

Post by PF. »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:31 am After we lost the 2006 cup final my other half turned around and said 'it's only a game of football' :swear:
sendô wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:17 pm I flat refused to go round and see Mrs Sendo after the 2006 cup final. I was in the foulest of foul moods.
I've been following this bloody club up and down the country since the late 80's and I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of a cup final in 2006.

I think you have you both (and others on this forum I have previously noted) have your dates wrong and you're talking about the 2004 play-off loss to Palace.

My missus isn't at all from a football background and when she gave a bit of a moan-up 10 or so years ago, I just said to her that she doesn't have to understand, she just needs to respect it. That was fair enough for her.

That being said, as I no longer go away and hardly watch anything on the box, she doesn't mind. She isn't the happiest of souls when I have the test matches on all day though!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 413 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

PF. wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:15 pm I've been following this bloody club up and down the country since the late 80's and I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of a cup final in 2006.

I think you have you both (and others on this forum I have previously noted) have your dates wrong and you're talking about the 2004 play-off loss to Palace.
Eh? :lol:
PF.

Post by PF. »

There was once a story about a scouser playing a great game and us losing on penalties, I think some bloke played it out on Football Manager or FIFA, posted it about it on here, and a few took it as gospel.

Since then, it's turned into legend and myth and a few plonkers actually believe the story.

Didn't happen. Trust me.
brownout
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by brownout »

When we got married I said I'd only go to West Ham home games and cut out the away matches.
That last exactly two weeks.
West Ham were playing at West Brom on the Saturday we were driving back from our honeymoon in the Lake District.
She came to the match with me.
Roby
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Roby »

PF. wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:29 pm There was once a story about a scouser playing a great game and us losing on penalties, I think some bloke played it out on Football Manager or FIFA, posted it about it on here, and a few took it as gospel.

Since then, it's turned into legend and myth and a few plonkers actually believe the story.

Didn't happen. Trust me.
I’d forgotten about it as well until I saw Lionel Scaloni on the touchline as Argentina boss...

And if your wife or partner likes football as well then that’s a great shared interest. My wife’s a Liverpool fan so we’ve already been to watch 3 games at Anfield together in the last few years although the hammers lost them all.
Samba

Post by Samba »

PF. wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:29 pm There was once a story about a scouser playing a great game and us losing on penalties, I think some bloke played it out on Football Manager or FIFA, posted it about it on here, and a few took it as gospel.

Didn't happen. Trust me.
Oh, was that when we'd actually won the FA Cup but the bloke on Football Manager or FIFA, managed to f*ck it right up?
Thank god that never happened in real life, I'd have never got over it.
PF.

Post by PF. »

That's the one.

If that was in real-life, I'd still be harbouring disappointment, unresolved anger issues and a very rational dislike of Lionel Scaloni.

Luckily, its just myth and legend so nothing to see here.
Leppers
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Leppers »

My missus is a season ticket holder with her dad at spurs. We have a 3 year old with no interest in football and agreed to let him decide who he wants to support when he’s older. Doesn’t stop her dressing him in spurs clothes when I’m away and can’t prevent it though :swear:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 1350 likes
Total likes: 371 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Misko wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:47 am So the amount of information I had been saving in my brain through my compulsive reading of France Football and the weird interest I have for the minor European leagues proved themselves not as useless as I thought they were.
Great story … after 32 years of being with the lovely Missus Jaye, I am still hoping that the years of reading Shoot magazine will one day impress her. My last attempt was met with a frosty reception …. taking a 5 minute detour on holiday, as we were driving through Stenhousemuir and so went to their ground at Ochilview.