The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:57 pm Sammy, I didn't mean to infer that the overwhelming number of loans/grants/etc were anything other entirely kosher, and as someone whom at times has relied on tax credits, I have no misconceptions as to the workings of HMRC..
It doesn't seem that ridiculous, however, when you're bunging around a hundred grand here or there, to make a note of the name and NI number of the person you're chucking it to.
I don't think in lots of cases it's knowing who had money it's 1) proving it was a fraudulent claim or contract and 2) with the billions in small claims deciding if it's worth the cost trying.

In the case I mentioned the council contacted them to give them most of the money so they know who had it. What they didn't do was any checking of if the money was needed. I suspect this was for a similar reason to 2) above. The time and cost of validating what people were claiming would have been almost impossible. Once you got on a list they just sent money to everyone on the list when a new tranche of funding arrived.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Writes off £20-odd billion of our cash with not so much as a shrug, yet fights tooth & nail to stop hungry children eating meal at school who's cost is measured in hundreds of millions.

It's those kind of warped Tory priorities that I will never understand.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by smuts »

Samba wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:06 pm I very much remember that, MB.
One guy who phoned in on the radio who the Govt wouldn't even get back to.
It seemed so strange at the time..
I can't remember their name but there was one Well established British company that makes PPE and had been doing so since the late 1800's. Said they never got contacted or a response to any enquiry.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

smuts wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 pm I can't remember their name but there was one Well established British company that makes PPE and had been doing so since the late 1800's. Said they never got contacted or a response to any enquiry.
Durex? :chin:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

f*** knows what this one's supposed to have done but yet another Tory MP becomes, at least temporarily, an ex-Tory MP...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... int-to-met
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4378 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

One-all - a Labour equaliser : https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/l ... r-AA151t9R

I can't honestly ever remember a parliament where so many of them , irrespective of party, have been suspended.

With this latest 2, I think the Suspended "Independent" Party now outnumber the Lib Dems.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

smuts wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 pm I can't remember their name but there was one Well established British company that makes PPE and had been doing so since the late 1800's. Said they never got contacted or a response to any enquiry.
Are you thinking of Arco?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:24 pm Michael Gove has granted planning permission for a new coal mine in Cumbria. It will be used in the production of steel.

That'll go down well.
Years of talking about net zero, green targets, etc etc etc and now ****ing, this, subsidies for North Sea oil and gas - it's all just hot air, isn't it?
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

This coal is of a grade specific for steel making and until that industry finds a more cost efficient way of producting energy it needs then this is the way , i believe that we currently import the coal for this , so it reduces the carbon footprint of transport and provides local jobs .
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 482 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:36 am - it's all just hot air, isn't it?
:crylol: very good..
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Coal in Cumbria, Nuclear in Suffolk, Fusion Energy in Nottinghamshire, substantial LNG import deal with the Yanks, oil/gas in the North Sea, onshore wind farms (subject to local consent), the North Sea gas storage facilities brought back into use off the Yorkshire coast.

Looks like a sensible diversification and longer term energy security plan.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2703 likes

Post by sendô »

Stable door fixed after the horse has bolted. Props to all.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

What's the difference between a food-pantry and a food-bank?

Penny Mourdant announcing the opening these 'food-pantrys' in her constituency today.

12 years of her party in charge and her constituents can no longer afford to feed their families...thats how bleak it is, it's not something to celebrate Penny how ever well intentioned opening these are, it's something we should be horrified at.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:31 am Coal in Cumbria, Nuclear in Suffolk, Fusion Energy in Nottinghamshire, substantial LNG import deal with the Yanks, oil/gas in the North Sea, onshore wind farms (subject to local consent), the North Sea gas storage facilities brought back into use off the Yorkshire coast.

Looks like a sensible diversification and longer term energy security plan.
Not if we don't own any of it.
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 am What's the difference between a food-pantry and a food-bank?

Penny Mourdant announcing the opening these 'food-pantrys' in her constituency today.

12 years of her party in charge and her constituents can no longer afford to feed their families...thats how bleak it is, it's not something to celebrate Penny how ever well intentioned opening these are, it's something we should be horrified at.
Food pantry. Oh how very posh. Is all the food from Waitrose and laid out on a marble island unit?

Reminds me of the old favourite.
What's the difference between fanny craddock and a cross country run?
A cross country run is a pant in the country
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 am What's the difference between a food-pantry and a food-bank?

Reminds me of the Vox Pop of the guy that was planning to vote blue in Hartlepool 2019 "When labour were in charge we had 0 food banks in Hartlepool, now with the Tories we have 9"
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ty-pantry/

Seems we now have a gap between people that can afford shop prices and qualification for a food bank.

I know of someone who volunteers at something like this down in Surrey. Same stuff you'd get at a food bank but you pay £2 and can fill a shopping bag with whatever you want (within reason).
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:36 am Years of talking about net zero, green targets, etc etc etc and now ****ing, this, subsidies for North Sea oil and gas - it's all just hot air, isn't it?
If only we could harness all that hot air to drive some turbines then all our problems would be solved.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 am 12 years of her party in charge and her constituents can no longer afford to feed their families
God alone knows what all those people claiming 'crisis loans' up to 2010 were doing then as they traipsed into the social.

They didn't even get the food for free - the money was taken back out of their benefits for up to 78 weeks after.

"ok, you want a tin of beans this week, we're cutting your benefits next week to pay for it" was Labour policy. For 13 years.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

20% of us (not me obvs) have a "favourable" view of the Conservative party ...

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/majority-br ... tive-party