WC of WH Players: QF1 - MARK NOBLE V PHIL PARKES

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WC of WH Players: QF1

Poll ended at Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:20 am

MARK NOBLE
64%
PHIL PARKES
36%

Total votes: 99

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Re: WC of WH Players: QF1 - MARK NOBLE V PHIL PARKES

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:57 pm The winner of this competition won't be the most gifted player we ever had, the winner will be the player who ran further, won more tackles, headers and duels than anyone else.
Billy Bonds :arry:
uptonspark
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by uptonspark »

Voted for Parkesy. Quite simply, in my opinion, our best ever keeper. And a decent bloke to boot.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:57 pm The winner of this competition won't be the most gifted player we ever had, the winner will be the player who ran further, won more tackles, headers and duels than anyone else.
I think that rules Parkes out then.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 am the best goalie we have ever had gets the vote over a midfielder who isnt in our top 5 of midfielders- well thats how i see it anyway
It's not about best though. It's about favourites... and it's perfectly natural that a persons favourite would be someone they've actually seen play. Personally I don't think it makes sense for a persons favourite to be a player they've never seen and know only by reputation. I'd be surprised if anyone under 40 voted for Parkes unless they were brought up watching VHS tapes of old classic West Ham matches.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:01 pm It's not about best though. It's about favourites... and it's perfectly natural that a persons favourite would be someone they've actually seen play. Personally I don't think it makes sense for a persons favourite to be a player they've never seen and know only by reputation. I'd be surprised if anyone under 40 voted for Parkes unless they were brought up watching VHS tapes of old classic West Ham matches.
I think it's worth noting that a few of the people bringing up modern bias' grandfathers would be pointing out the exclusion of Vic Watson and Jimmy Ruffell.

People complain about the impression that football was invented in 1992, but an outsider reading this forum might get the impression we were founded some time around 1964...
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:08 pm People complain about the impression that football was invented in 1992, but an outsider reading this forum might get the impression we were founded some time around 1964...
You're right. I just thought there had to be a cut-off point as only a tiny percentage of forum members have seen those players. So, I said the 60s was the starting point from the outset. Strictly speaking, it's the World Cup of the modern West Ham United era.

People can vote on whatever basis they want really. I tried to make it clear that it wasn't necessarily about choosing the best player but also to leave it as open to interpretation as possible. :newthumb:
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

To pick your favourite player from whats left is going to be incredibly difficult.
Mark Noble gets this one for me.

I think Phil Parkes is our greatest ever goalkeeper, and there's so many valid reasons why he should get my vote on this one. FA cup winner, played in our 85/86 team and when we signed him he came as the world's most expensive keeper. He should be streets ahead of Noble just on achievements alone.

But, it has to be Nobes this time.
This guy is our modern day equivalent of a Moore or Bonds when it comes to his stature at the club. His story as a player has now ended, and its a great shame that he was never able to hold a trophy aloft.
But unfortunately for Noble he's been our rock in a period of the clubs history that hasn't been very fruitful.

However Mark is the absolute embodiment of what a West ham player should be.
He gave everything for the club, and its a great testament to him that players past and present talk so highly of him as a great Professional.
I think there's a lot more to come down the line in the love affair that Noble has with the club and fans.

Sorry Phil, but Mark gets my vote
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I had to vote for Nobes. A one club man who stuck with us through some very lean years
PopRobsonHeader
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by PopRobsonHeader »

Looks like my selection of Phil Parkes will miss out but I have to say this particular head to head plus all the others has been one of most enjoyable topics on the site to read through in a long time

Well done to Korea Hammer for coming up with the idea
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Phil Parkes but then I'm old and remember almost killing myself and my driving instructor when the news of his signing came over the radio...
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Good to see the biggest turnout so far on this one :thup:
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1379 likes
Total likes: 999 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

20 minutes to get your votes in.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

I was about ten when we signed Phil for what was then a world record price for a goal keeper. At the time I remember thinking wow we have big aspirations and are going places. At that time more teams were in with a chance of winning things. The FA Cup win was amazing but that apart we was just another also ran. Some things never change :cried:
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:03 pm Phil was never part of a winning team at Anfield...

Bizarre that West Ham have won the FA Cup three times in the past 60 years yet in that same period, the club have only won once at Liverpool!
I think there were quite a few clubs like that including spurs.I do remember a stat back in the day saying Spurs hadn't won there since the titanic went down in 2012,until they broke it.I think it was 73 years.

Let's be honest,like United under Fergie,the officials always gave them the decisions when they were at the peak of their success.