RIP journo Grant Wahl

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

RIP journo Grant Wahl

Post by WCpete »

I don’t know if he had any exposure in the UK, but Grant was a well established “soccer” journalist in the US. He loved the game and spent most of his time trying to elevate its standing here. He died during the 2nd qtr final game this evening at 49 years old. RIP Grant.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/09/11420548 ... -world-cup
WCpete

Re: RIP journo Grant Wahl

Post by WCpete »

Right before he passed away from the hour is box

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Grant’s brother. I hope this is grief speaking and not a reference to something he knows.

Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by Shabu »

Apparently he had bronchitis all week & was given antibiotics.

Wahl was covering his eighth World Cup. He wrote Monday on his website that he had visited a medical clinic in Qatar.

"My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you,'' Wahl wrote. "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.

"I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I'm already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno.''

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/35 ... s-49-qatar
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:52 amGrant’s brother. I hope this is grief speaking and not a reference to something he knows.
Probably is the grief, connected to recent 'rainbow issues'.
If someone has (especially unknown) heart disease, there can be a link between a severe chest infection causing something like a heart attack, apparently.

RIP Grant
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Grant died from the rupture of a slowly growing, undetected ascending aortic aneurysm with hemopericardium. The chest pressure he experienced shortly before his death may have represented the initial symptoms. No amount of CPR or shocks would have saved him. His death was unrelated to COVID. His death was unrelated to vaccination status. There was nothing nefarious about his death.
https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/a-note ... ne-gounder