Xtinction Rebellion

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Re: Xtinction Rebellion

Post by delbert »

Good question, a fact based campaign perhaps, one avoiding politics and zealots like George Monbiot and the Swedish Doom Goblin.

What I meant by the government weaponising the issue is when they use the environment as a convenient stick to raise revenue with, things like car road funds being based on emissions.......
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63623307

We don’t really stand much chance of keeping up with the requirement for clean energy based on this piece of information. It casts a doubt over sufficient energy demand full stop. The graph showing population increase since WW2 is staggering. Surely one global environmental policy needs to be based on birth control.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Friend or Foé wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:49 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63623307

We don’t really stand much chance of keeping up with the requirement for clean energy based on this piece of information. It casts a doubt over sufficient energy demand full stop. The graph showing population increase since WW2 is staggering. Surely one global environmental policy needs to be based on birth control.
It would be a good idea but there will always be a group that stands against it
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

taust68 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:17 pm It would be a good idea but there will always be a group that stands against it
Elon Musk being one of them apparently

https://fortune.com/2021/12/07/elon-mus ... irth-rate/

I previously posted (what I thought was) an interesting take on population v consumption. Its not the silver bullet you'd think.

Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:33 pm Elon Musk being one of them apparently

https://fortune.com/2021/12/07/elon-mus ... irth-rate/

I previously posted (what I thought was) an interesting take on population v consumption. Its not the silver bullet you'd think.

It may not be the silver bullet, but the alternative relies upon the entire ever increasing world population to all be more responsible and careful in their energy use to allow us to tiptoe through a problem, whereas if the population was controlled in line with technical development and global infrastructure supply, the effect of responsible use becomes far greater. Why push the boundaries when living within its means will create more comfort. It’s not just individual use that needs to be controlled i.e. household use, but if like Musk everyone decides to have 6 children, then things like food processing factories, water treatment plants, farms l, warehouses etc.. all have to use more energy take up more spaces to provide for everybody. Yes energy use per capita goes down but if the population is increasing then you end up standing still.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I can’t be bothered to Google it but I think Musk has more than six kids. Maybe nine?
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:17 pm I can’t be bothered to Google it but I think Musk has more than six kids. Maybe nine?
He has 8, poor sod.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

He’s not poor! Nobody but Elon Musk can be blamed for having eight children. He knew what he was doing.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:10 pm He’s not poor! Nobody but Elon Musk can be blamed for having eight children. He knew what he was doing.
nah, he thought his sperm would be like his rocket ships, .... come back to daddy. :crylol:
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Friend or Foé wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:44 pm It may not be the silver bullet, but the alternative relies upon the entire ever increasing world population to all be more responsible and careful in their energy use to allow us to tiptoe through a problem, whereas if the population was controlled in line with technical development and global infrastructure supply, the effect of responsible use becomes far greater. Why push the boundaries when living within its means will create more comfort. It’s not just individual use that needs to be controlled i.e. household use, but if like Musk everyone decides to have 6 children, then things like food processing factories, water treatment plants, farms l, warehouses etc.. all have to use more energy take up more spaces to provide for everybody. Yes energy use per capita goes down but if the population is increasing then you end up standing still.
Not how I read it at all. A small proportion of the global population (mostly in the richest countries) produce the bulk of the worlds consumption. If you reduce consumption it has a bigger impact than reducing copulation. I reckon its probably easier to police as well...
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Why not try and work towards both?
Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:10 am Why not try and work towards both?
Exactly. Why work on a theory that could quite easily spiral out of control as developing nations become more affluent and therefore use increasingly more energy per capita.
Friend or Foé

Post by Friend or Foé »

Musk probably see’s an opportunity to sell or patent an electronic gadget to the world that we will all need to buy from in order to help curb our consumption. Population increase is good for business.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

XR’s New Year message has indicated a pivot in their tactics. Looks like they will press on with a more traditional style of direct action such as picketing party conferences etc. I expect this will not influence the tactics of Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain etc, who seem to be more relevant. I’d find it interesting though that the original protest group has in effect seen the reputation impact of the civic disobedience approach, and is looking to move away from it.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Het-Field wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 am XR’s New Year message has indicated a pivot in their tactics. Looks like they will press on with a more traditional style of direct action such as picketing party conferences etc. I expect this will not influence the tactics of Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain etc, who seem to be more relevant. I’d find it interesting though that the original protest group has in effect seen the reputation impact of the civic disobedience approach, and is looking to move away from it.
Yes I read that. I never really got how causing disruption to the general pubic will both aid your cause and get a government to act. It seemed a pointless approach that would never ever work.

To me, if you want to effect chance you need to target the worst offenders and hurt them in the pocket. I've always thought if the public whould target certain companies over non tax payment or pollution they could get results if they were better organised.

So if XR feel Shell is the worst part of the problem, block their forecourts and offices rather than public highways....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If they disrupt the Conservative conference, let's say by chaining themselves to the venue's entrance, I wonder if the police will still bring them tea and sandwiches?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

New plans to widen police powers for disruptive protests
Police could be allowed to shut down protests before they cause serious disruption, under new government plans.

Downing Street said the proposals would help officers clamp down on "a disruptive minority" who use tactics like blocking roads and slow marching.

It said the changes seek to give police greater flexibility and clarity over when they can intervene.

But human rights group Liberty said the proposals amounted to an attack on the right to protest.

The plans will be set out in an amendment to the Public Order Bill, due to be introduced on Monday.

more...
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Tonight’s direct action at the snooker in Sheffield will undoubtedly be the turning point of Just Stop Oil and the climate movement. People are going to take heed of what they say and join them in similar disruptions, which will cause the Tory Party to change its ways and pivot towards a greener future.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^Exactly. I've already become vegan, recycled my car into drums and stilts for when I join the demos and now knit my own yoghurt, all because of orange powder on a snooker table.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

“All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing.“

Maybe they should sit indoors on their phones, play on their Nintendo or just binge watch box sets? Or do nothing more than talk about the problems of the world like 99% of the rest of population.

They are getting out and fighting for something the believe in.

More power too them.