⚽ Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 West Ham Utd (14/1/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Re: ⚽ Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:57 pm Regardless of exactly who should have stayed back, there clearly weren't enough. Is it part of the captain's job to spot and rectify things like that?
or Shirley the manager or one of the other 6 or so staff watching what's going on....

:swear:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:02 pm …I spat my drink out in laughter…
That was you? I’ll send the dry cleaner’s bill.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:57 pm Regardless of exactly who should have stayed back, there clearly weren't enough. Is it part of the captain's job to spot and rectify things like that?
No, it isn't
The team would have worked on corner routines in training

Paquetta is the player who should be deeper (if anyone) but we are desperate for points so not surprising we overload the box in search of a goal
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:06 pm That was you? I’ll send the dry cleaner’s bill.
It's okay I've got some white wine...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm bit simplistic but when I was coaching, admittedly within the youth ranks, I ALWAYS had two players on the edge of the "D" in case a ball popped out so that we could win a loose ball.

then at least TWO players on the halfway line in case the other team broke out. and one more halfway between the box and the 2 players on the halfway line for the counter.

as I say, only youth soccer and we rarely won a header in the box, but there were times when we won the "cleared" ball, the player halfway was a safety valve that we could play to were there not a good chance to put another ball into the box and/or play back to one of the two on or around the halfway line.

I mentioned somewhere else maybe early in the match thread that I was concerned about the number of chances we gave to the opposition from our own corners. directly or indirectly.

wish I'd have done the lottery this past weekend.
Cresswell and Coufal deep, fornals and Paquetta closer to edge of the box

Rice, Ogbonna, Aguard and Soucek attacking the ball,

Antonio by the keeper

That is perfectly sensible.

Not sure why Paq was in the box mind

But it really was hugely unfortunate that the ball broke to the Wolves player like that on the floor from a set piece. You can't legislate for every unlikely scenario
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm It's okay I've got some white wine...
Entertaining GCRO, I see.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:01 pm Meanwhile, the bloke with a few hundred million in his pocket who willingly sacrifices the club to avoid tax sits there. Boils my ****ing piss.
Indeed.

He's going to sell Declan, recovering more money in the process than he has ever put into the club himself.

Next time you are in British Tuscany, give me a call, I'll take you to where the Sunday Roast is absolutely inedible.

I misread the review, I thought it said incredible, but them's the breaks.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Sienafield being, I suspect, the capital of this Essex Tuscany you're on about?

Just down the via from Margherittering?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:16 pm
He's going to sell Declan, recovering more money in the process than he has ever put into the club himself.
Reminds me of Tony Gale's joke at the event I mentioned. He said he'd just had a phone call from Karren Brady offering to pay for a hotel room for Mr and Mrs Rice if they could please knock another one out.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:11 pm Cresswell and Coufal deep, fornals and Paquetta closer to edge of the box

Rice, Ogbonna, Aguard and Soucek attacking the ball,

Antonio by the keeper

That is perfectly sensible.

Not sure why Paq was in the box mind

But it really was hugely unfortunate that the ball broke to the Wolves player like that on the floor from a set piece. You can't legislate for every unlikely scenario
not the first time it's happened this season though. or the second. but don't ask me which games. I DO remember it happening though at least two or three times.

bit like the throw in goals. thought we would have fixed in after the first game, but no, it happened a couple of days later. even Moyes mentioned in his presser.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

I think some of this discussion over-complicates things. Yes we could have maybe left different people back or people in different positions, or got back quicker. However, as many have said, it was ultimately a 2 v 4. All teams concede the odd unlikely goal, a deflection, on the break, or otherwise. There have been a number of chances we shouldn’t have conceded this season, but this is only one problem.

The ultimate truth is that we cannot win every game 1-0, and teams that finish in the top half often find a way to win or at least tie despite having a few odd goals go against them (or even conceding goals that they shouldn’t). We can blame whoever we want for conceding off that corner, but even if we had changed things up, we could have conceded another odd goal. It’s not as if we’re the Bielsa Leeds team saying we will concede but will try to outscore the opposition (which will require 3-5 goals)…in our case we just need to be able to score 1 or 2 to get a result, and no matter what we do defensively we’re always going to need to do so to have a respectable finish
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 pm Yes we did
The fact they scored doesn't mean we didn't have enough players back
It wasn't like Salah a couple of years ago when we were overloaded

When the Wolves player had the ball there was onlky Jiminez and Podence ahead of him. We had Coufal, Cresswell and Soucek, plus Bowen coming from the side. The numbers were in our favour but we Cresswell and Coufal wre all over the shop

Would we have defended the break better if we had more players back? of course, but then we probably shouldn't send CBs forward either so we make sure we don't concede
whether it is 2 v 4 of 4 v2 , the real diffrence ( apart from a lucky deflection ) us intent & action . Wolves were intent, throug the game , of finding the first man "in the hole" and bypassing our defensive block (!), at speed. Tranistion time up the field was under what 5 secoinds? Every time we get the ball we take that long to shuttle sideways and wait for cresweell to hand crank the moror up and get to halway.

That's game plan / tactics and personnel choices- all down to one man...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1850 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:02 pm Sorry I spat my drink out in laughter at the following sentence 'one of the finest eateries in Essex' :lol:
The Toby Carvery in Basildon is a superb dining spot.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:26 pm Sienafield being, I suspect, the capital of this Essex Tuscany you're on about?

Sellafield more like :crossed:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

w4hammer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:53 am whether it is 2 v 4 of 4 v2 , the real diffrence ( apart from a lucky deflection ) us intent & action . Wolves were intent, throug the game , of finding the first man "in the hole" and bypassing our defensive block (!), at speed. Tranistion time up the field was under what 5 secoinds? Every time we get the ball we take that long to shuttle sideways and wait for cresweell to hand crank the moror up and get to halway.

That's game plan / tactics and personnel choices- all down to one man...
Any oppo coach seeing us leave Cresswell and Coufal as the sole defenders with 50 yards of grass behind them would want that set up attacked as quickly as possible, we just make ourselves so vulnerable time after time. Wolves got a couple of breaks their way from defending that corner to scoring but the move is always on. We had one quick defender on the pitch on Saturday, Aguerd, you can’t get away with that over 90 minutes in todays PL.
master
Has liked: 3215 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by master »

Them just leaving one player up causes us ridiculous problems.

We'd never do the same no matter the score.or minutes remaining