David Duckham RIP

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

David Duckham RIP

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Played the game in the correct manner, with imagination and verve. My dad maintains he’s the best back to wear the Rose. The only Englishman to play in the 73 Barbarians side. That the 70s Welsh side felt he was good enough to play for them, and thus, was nicknamed “Dai” is pretty much the greatest endorsement a player could receive.

Just a shame so few English players followed his lead, with maybe only Jason Robinson coming close. Will be much missed but never forgotten.
dasnutnock3

Re: David Duckham RIP

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Polaroid
Has liked: 620 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

This has upset more than any of the recent RIP threads as DD was a real connection between me and my late Dad.
My old man, back in the day represented Redruth and Cornwall as an 8 and occasionally a 6. I followed in his footsteps at a junior level, Maidstone Schools and Kent.
His captain at Redruth was a wee chap called Richard Sharp. Check that fella out, David might have been an observer?

There is a huge difference in what these amatuer guys of the past did and the modern players.
They did it for the love of the game, the brotherhood, the togetherness.

God, I wish we could go back to those times, they were magic.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I was always crap at football. Duckham inspired me to play rugby. At a time when the Welsh bossed everything he (and Andy Ripley) were the stand out England stars.
Thanks for the memories, RIP.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Sad news, he was my Dad's favourite player and one of my first rugby heroes.
I was lucky enough to meet him when the BUSA sevens was played at my club and presented the trophies and he was an absolute gent.
He was also a guest, as did John Taylor and Gavin Hastings, on a zoom call at our "virtual bar" during the first lockdown.

RIP Mr Duckham and thanks for the memories.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:59 pm I was always crap at football. Duckham inspired me to play rugby. At a time when the Welsh bossed everything he (and Andy Ripley) were the stand out England stars.
Thanks for the memories, RIP.
I'm no fan of union, league being my game, but I remember David Duckham well from the old days of the 5 nations . Always seemed to be the stand out player for England, or certainly the one who looked most likely to do something special when he got his hands on the ball.

RIP fella.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Loved his running style.

Kind of one of the first Rugby Union players who made an impact with me.

Seemed to play with a tremendous freedom of expression.

RIP