If Newcastle get Champs League...

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Re: If Newcastle get Champs League...

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm Don't think enough has been made of this. But I think it'll be near disastrous for the Premier League as a whole, and especially for 'chasers'
It will for the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea whose entire existence is based around this very lucrative competition. It is almost certain that one or even all three will miss out, which will not be disastrous as far as I'm concerned.....it'll be ****ing hilarious.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

What with the building blocks starting to show signs of recovery at Manchester United and the Newcastle coming to the party with serious amounts of wedge, where does that leave spurs these days. Also I’m not sure how Chelsea new owner will splash cash in comparison to Abramovich once did. Are spurs now realistically consigned to picking up the pieces of the top six if one has a poor season.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Friend or Foé wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 am What with the building blocks starting to show signs of recovery at Manchester United and the Newcastle coming to the party with serious amounts of wedge, where does that leave spurs these days. Also I’m not sure how Chelsea new owner will splash cash in comparison to Abramovich once did. Are spurs now realistically consigned to picking up the pieces of the top six if one has a poor season.
You just have to look at this season which shows no amount of money is a guarantee. Man City have the world’s best striker, one of the best managers and enormous wealth yet they’re still however many points behind Arsenal.

The likes of Brighton and Brentford also had the nerve to destroy Liverpool. Newcastle may well have millions but nothing is guaranteed in this sport, and why we love it so much.

Imo, there will always be a chance for others to sneak in just because it’s not feasible for all of the top 6 to have good seasons year after year. Someone will always drop off allowing another to take their place.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Friend or Foé wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 amAlso I’m not sure how Chelsea new owner will splash cash in comparison to Abramovich once did.
£150M this window

£250M last summer.

It's like a merry go round.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Man City took off after they managed to get european football, this will obviously become a two horsed race for the forseeable.
sword
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by sword »

Don't see it as a bad thing; the Sky 6 becomes Sky 7 with Newcastle, then Sky 8 with us, then Sky 9 with Fulham, Sky10 with Wrexham :grin: and so on. Plenty of money in the world, and the PL has cachet for the unbelievably rich.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

horrible to think that the saudi team will get CL.
top 4 in may
arsenal
city
newcastle
man utd

then spurs chelsea brentford brighton

we will be down in 14th but safe

without serious money and improvements in facilities we have little chance of european football for many seasons. so we had better win the ECL this season!
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

Casting aside the back ground of ownership you can't blame Newcastle for selling out. I do believe in years to come there will be about 30 teams own by billionaires all fighting for Premiership status. wouldn't surprise me that one day there will be two premierships of 15 teams with two teams promotion. This will of course suit the bigger teams.
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by DenziMart »

D C wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:17 pm Some season ticket holding Geordies in the family are already getting annoyed with the casuals apparently they’re getting unbearable already
Going to watch West Ham at Old Trafford you see streams of buses with "Surrey Reds, Swansea Reds, Norwich Reds" etc. on them. Not sure the Surrey Mags, Swansea Mags, Norwich Mags will be quite as welcomed up in Newcastle!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The passionate football fan in me hates it that clubs like us will never finish higher than 6th on a consistent basis and probably lower, that football has died really at the top level but it's almost good in a way as it creates more of a mix with the big six/seven
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm I think the Premier League as a whole has been a disaster for 'chasers' like us
There
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

it does make you wonder why no super rich have come in for us. huge fanbase, london based, iconic history etc. buy west ham for 500m and turn it into a top 4 side. I guess we have missed the gravy train now.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:04 am it does make you wonder why no super rich have come in for us. huge fanbase, london based, iconic history etc. buy west ham for 500m and turn it into a top 4 side. I guess we have missed the gravy train now.
Because the club doesn’t own it’s biggest asset, the stadium.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Then it's fair play to them. Sure, they've spent money but they've spent it well.

In spite of our spend in the summer, I don't think we were really challenging for the top 4. Much more a case of running to stand still. Unfortunately, it's not gone well with tactical uncertainty and unlucky injuries leading to a crisis of confidence and bad performances and results in the league.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Heysel76 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:07 pm $$$$$$$$$$$ = success, well whoda thunk it?
Unless it's Sullivan doing the buying...
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

Riches aside, they’ve bought well, and have a very good manager.

Botman, Pope and Bruno G have massively improved them.

I personally think they won’t get Chanps League but may finish top 6. Watched them a few times now and they create lots of chances but still have some average players who don’t convert like Wilson and Joelinton. Longstaff is not much cop either imho.
Last edited by steps on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Swiss Pauli wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:25 am Then it's fair play to them. Sure, they've spent money but they've spent it well.

In spite of our spend in the summer, I don't think we were really challenging for the top 4. Much more a case of running to stand still. Unfortunately, it's not gone well with tactical uncertainty and unlucky injuries leading to a crisis of confidence and bad performances and results in the league.
Think it's been easier for them to sell the dream too.
It's clear the course they are headed on, ours is more hope.

Also think probably like man city its easier for them to get deals done with other clubs.
Their cash flow means they didn't need to stagger payments over 4-5 years. "Cash Buyers" must be far more appealing ' --£40m now or £50m over 5 years. It's a big headstart.

Will see how the new FFP effects it as it linked to revenue.
Guess will just do what Chelsea did.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

DenziMart wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:52 am Going to watch West Ham at Old Trafford you see streams of buses with "Surrey Reds, Swansea Reds, Norwich Reds" etc. on them. Not sure the Surrey Mags, Swansea Mags, Norwich Mags will be quite as welcomed up in Newcastle!
An “East Anglian Magpies” supporters group formed last season (just after the takeover, believe it or not) and they run trips to home and away games.

I know one of them, runs a local grass roots team, fair to say they are enjoying it at the moment from what I gather.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Jesus Christ. For years people have been moaning about the Sky 'big' 6 and how the monopoly was bad and would never be broken. ( Just a few years before that it was the 'big' 4 that could never be challenged).
Well now it looks as though that monopoly is going to be well and truly broken and people are still moaning!
Putting aside the dubious Saudi element to it all, I am more than happy for the Geordies.
As someone else said in another year or two it could be a big 8 or big 9.
Times change, things change. Nothing stays the same.
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

My opinion, they're not going away, so the more billionaire investment quite frankly the better as in a backwards way it is starting to level the playing field.

What I will say, what with FFP and increased income for teams, a lot of sides are able to offer large transfer fees, large contracts etc. So I actually think the pull from some of these clubs is less than it was ten years ago to City and Chelsea.

Would rather Newcastle win the league than any of the others.