The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by davids cross »

Smuts...

I had a branch retinal vein occlusion in my left eye in Oct 2021.......basically it's stroke in the eye. I've never told anyone on here.

And it was due to high blood pressure, Never ignore these things.....I'm not much overweight but had got myself into a very anxious circle when it occurred.

My blood pressure had always been a bit high, but I was not on any bp tablets at the time.......I was on statins because my sister has had a double heart by - pass operation. And our family has some bad cholesterol running through it. The statins have been amazing.....no bad effects and much lower cholesterol.

I've had to have 6 injections directly into my eye ball.......and I have got some vision back in my eye......but it's about 50-60 % of what it was......and it's quite scary tbh.......I haven't been the same since. It's affected me quite badly emotionally. To wake up with a blindness in your eye is hugely scary. But I'm glad that some miracle injections have helped to clear the blood and water that had formed in my eye....it's an improvement and I'm grateful for that.... :heart:

But keeping my BP under strict control may well have prevented it ever happening.... :newthumb:

So get it checked....it's so worth it....I'm 59 by the way.

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/ ... on-brvo-2/
Last edited by davids cross on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Doc, DL, and everyone, going through it right now,
it's so hard to express your best wishes without it sounding like some trite platitude. I do know that however dark things are, whether it's on here, with some professional or with someone close to you or even a total stranger, it's better, if possible to talk about it. In some strange way, just expressing your fear/desperation/anxiety/etc, while not 'fixing' anything, does help a little.
I hope you can all find, at least some, peace of mind.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Hi DC,
Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear you are okay. Went to the Doctors this morning and wants me to do 7 day monitoring taking AM and PM readings. Said yes it is high but not urgently so which was a relief. Also some blood tests booked to check a few bits over.

Best wishes to all of you on here. DL I don't know you personally but I'm always willing to have a chat if you need to vent.

All the best.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

Good smuts...

Yep, that's the tests I had done down the years too.

And they said my BP was sort of borderline high and stuff, bit like you are describing.........and they decided against BP tablets....and I would try to be more active and watch my diet.

In retrospect ( my eye doc) said this was a mistake...and he could tell my eye damage had been happening for quite a while and I should really have been prescribed BP tablets by them long ago.

So......just be sure when you talk to your doctor about the results that you are very very comfortable with what they say.

BP tablets have helped so much.

Good luck.
Last edited by davids cross on Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Evening all. Just to say that I’m in Newcastle for work at the moment and got chatting to a Geordie hammer.

He doesn’t post on here but as we got chatting said he follows this website regularly and that this was his favourite thing on here to read.

This was after multiple alcoholic beverages but just by posting you could be doing someone else a big favour. :newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 pm Well, here I am again.
Things ain't looking to sparkling health wise.
Head's a bit ****ed.
I ain't gonna elaborate, but those that matter, know.
Props to Mr Monkeybubbles for giving me a metaphorical ear last night.
Love to all.
So very sorry to hear things ain't great, DL. I'd noticed you hadn't been around here lately.
Good to hear people on here have been a support to you.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm
Fair enough, there are some vile ***** on here too, and when the time comes to shuffle from this mortal coil, I will out them.

Make sure there is some popcorn in the cupboard, won't you.
Can I have tickets in the front row DL?

Shout to everyone struggling. I don’t always post in here as I don’t really know what to say a lot of the time, and some of you guys are so darn eloquent anyway it seems daft to even try.

Anyway, work has been bloody mental since Xmas. Feel like I need a holiday again already. Stressed, tired, had dodgy guts for a week (wondering if it’s stress related) and lacking the motivation to do any exercise. When that happens I know I’ve deffo got ‘the blues’. January is such a ***** month as well isn’t it? Cold and dark. That doesn’t help.

Anyway, Going to try and get up at 7 tomorrow and get out and run. I know I’ll feel miles better for it. Always do. Wish me luck!
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1881 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 pm Well, here I am again.

Head's a bit ****ed.

I ain't gonna elaborate, but those that matter, know.

Props to Mr Monkeybubbles for giving me a metaphorical ear last night.

Love to all.
Sorry to hear this Nick, as Samba says good to know that you're getting support from your close friends.

Doc, best wishes to you too, I went through a divorce 15 years ago and have good mate going through one now.
No children involved in either of them but I understand some of what you're going through.
It's tough but you'll get through it :newthumb:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Getting too involved on City forums actually began to affect my support of the club. The Mark Hughes era in particular.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

DL, sorry to hear about your health and head. You're beloved around here for good reason, and I'm sure I speak for 99% of the forum when I say we're rooting for you.

Doc - I never thought I needed therapy until I actually did it. Never doubted a thing in my life until I got too depressed to actually do anything but doubt. I know I'm not that old at 35, but everything up to about 32 had been certainties including marriage. Therapy might well have saved me this year, as at times the divorce got...not messy, but there were a few fractious conversations with the ex that meant the hour of airing things to someone who was relatively impartial except for wanting to help me was vital. And they didn't sugar coating telling me what I'd done wrong as well, which put things into perspective.
btajim - mcfc wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:28 am Getting too involved on City forums actually began to affect my support of the club. The Mark Hughes era in particular.
I have this on here from time to time. I'm trying to avoid the Moyes thread and anything manager/board related as best as possible.

I appreciate that generally people come on here to air the bad, but since having a sort out of sleep and making sure I get regular fresh air I've had the most positive week in my head for a long, long time.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

davids cross wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:14 pm Good smuts...

Yep, that's the tests I had done down the years too.

And they said my BP was sort of borderline high and stuff, bit like you are describing.........and they decided against BP tablets....and I would try to be more active and watch my diet.

In retrospect ( my eye doc) said this was a mistake...and he could tell my eye damage had been happening for quite a while and I should really have been prescribed BP tablets by them long ago.

So......just be sure when you talk to your doctor about the results that you are very very comfortable with what they say.

BP tablets have helped so much.

Good luck.

DC sorry to hear what happened to you, must have been terrifying losing your vision like that.

reading your post made me think,

I went to the docs last July with very high blood pressure, breathlessness, and severe stress etc... ( 2 stone overweight and stressed from work and another issue ). The company doctor told me I would be dead soon if I didn't stop trying to do 200 % at work and advised me to do 90 % and go to my own GP regarding the high BP.

I went to him but was seen by this stand in doc a Spaniard called Blanco, who has seen me about three times in last 3 years. He has never ever prescribed anything for me no matter what I go to him for. I don't go to docs much maybe once a year sometimes two years but this guy seems against meds completely.

Anyway he told me in July my BP was very high and when I asked him for tablets he said no, lose some weight and exercise more and see your boss about the overloaded job. I saw the boss and highlighted the issues and she has helped a bit but it is up to me really to sort it which I kind of have.

I started exercising walking an hour a day and a few days in gym doing light weights etc... and doing slimming world recipes( was in it years ago ).

By December I lost one and a half stone, and felt really fit for 63, blood pressure is at acceptable level again, with room for a little improvement

Then a few weeks ago while on a mat warming up I noticed this large swelling in my stomach between belly button and sternum.

I went to the doc, he diagnosed an epigastric hernia, a quite large one.

It requires surgery, so I am on a waiting list , there will be a bit of a wait for that.

Weird thing is I didn't feel sick before going to see the doc, but since then each day I have mild pain / discomfort in my upper stomach area and feel bloated and that feeling you have after you have just had a huge Christmas dinner etc..

After reading your experience if I knew that could happen I would have insisted on the meds.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 pm
Sorry to read this, mate. Wishing you the very best.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Life has been tough the last 6 months or so. My wife cheated on me, and I found out about it.

I don't believe I'll ever forgive her. We have been through couples counselling, where we both said and did the right things. However, I'm sticking around for my kids. If in the meantime, I forgive her, and we grow as a couple, then excellent.

The only thing that gets me through the days is a couple of drinks every day. It really does numb my pain and stops me from thinking about things for long enough that I get some sleep.

DL. Sorry to hear you're experiencing more health problems. At least West Ham continues to give us something to smile about.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Ron, that is ****.

You really are a good bloke, and an even better Dad, your kids are lucky to have you.

Hang in there mate, I hope things get better for you.

x
Last edited by S-H on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

f*** me, Ron/DL and others, wish all the very best moving forward :newthumb:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Yeah, good luck to DL/Ron/Doc. This thread is in your corner.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

Mega Ron wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am Life has been tough the last 6 months or so.
Ah mate, you’ve been in my thoughts for a while now after your musings a few months ago.

I respect that you haven’t asked for advice, so what I’ll say is that drink wasn’t the answer for me when I got kicked in the b*llocks. I thought it was, but it ended up going very wrong and quickly.

You’re a good egg MR, solid to the core. Much love.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

EvilC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:20 pm Yeah, good luck to DL/Ron/Doc. This thread is in your corner.
I second that :heart:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 am I have this on here from time to time. I'm trying to avoid the Moyes thread and anything manager/board related as best as possible.
The problem was that Hughes was ex-United and a significant number would never accept him. Wins were almost ghosted by them whilst draws / defeats would see twelve hours of arguments, threats, name calling… I’d imagine it’s happened at many clubs.

Absolutely pathetic. He was a boyhood Chelsea fan and is from Wrexham.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Got absolutely clattered at football on Saturday. Blood pouring out my nose, dizzy etc. All week since have felt miserable, the minimal focus I had has gone entirely, diet gone to ****.

Dunno what to do with myself. Maybe got a lingering concussion? My face is purple.