Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Eastcote wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:11 pm Got a Aldi Chilean Estevez Shiraz not bad watching the Morrroco v France game going down nicely
not being a big time wine knowledger ( :crylol: ) and being here of course, we get more Chilean and Argentinian wines than others.

both get great reviews even in the US wine guides. can pretty much get very decent (imvho that is) wines from either for around 12-15 bucks. obviously others go up in price range ( and lower but I'm not chancing THAT) but as I say, I'm not au fait with the difference between a 50 dollar bottle or a 15 dollar bottle.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 pm not being a big time wine knowledger ( :crylol: ) and being here of course, we get more Chilean and Argentinian wines than others.

both get great reviews even in the US wine guides. can pretty much get very decent (imvho that is) wines from either for around 12-15 bucks. obviously others go up in price range ( and lower but I'm not chancing THAT) but as I say, I'm not au fait with the difference between a 50 dollar bottle or a 15 dollar bottle.
This was £6.95 sterling not sure what the ex rate is at the moment but it's ok!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't think it's far off 1 to 1 (1.24) so that's a good price. not sure what we have label wise, but the Argentina stuff from the Mendoza region is very very good....

just found this

Located in the eastern foothills of the Andes, in the shadow of Aconcagua, vineyards are planted at some of the highest altitudes in the world, with the average site located 600–1,100 metres (2,000–3,600 ft) above sea level.

Mendoza is considered the heart of the winemaking industry in Argentina with the vast majority of large wineries located in the provincial capital of Mendoza.

By 1910 around 80 percent of the area of Argentine vineyards were planted with French stock, mainly Malbec.[4]
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

Apparently six servings per bottle!!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Last night - 4 pints of cider aged in Whisky barrells. Lovely stuff, wouldn't want more than 4 though :)
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Had a very nice bottle of Famiglia Pasqua Amarone della Valpolicella 2017 with a meal this week. Very nice indeed.

In other news, a pint of Old Peculiar in my local now costs £5. Eek!
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Hammering the Walter malbec at the moment and the Borsao rioja.
Beautiful stuff.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Beavertowns Bones Lager last night, a decent drop.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Patiently waits for GCRO
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Level Head from Greene King-

S-H

Post by S-H »

Few pints of Korev last night.

Lovely.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 pm Some great ones out there. Batemans are your local brewery. They do some great ales.
Well worth a visit to the Wainfleet (rewind 50 years in time) headquarters, where you can camp or hook up on site & taste their wares at your own pace
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Bought a couple of 660ml bottles of Stella Unfiltered to enjoy during the footy later. I hope they've left the recipe alone as haven't had it since I was massively surprised by how good it was last summer.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 414 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Love how this thread and the Sobriety thread are right next to each other in the Snug :) (well they were until I posted)

Couple of pints of Madri in the local the other day. Decent enough.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:28 am treated myself to a nice 7 year old Flor de Cana last weekend.

about 17 dollars. bit too nice really. binged Bosch and noticed that I had finished the last half bottle !!!!

:crylol:

going to give myself a couple of weeks breather and try it with my last Cuban cigar...

would pare probably better with a Nicaraguan cigar but .............
Finally got to try this, thanks for the recommendation Cuenca.

:newthumb:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:09 pm Finally got to try this, thanks for the recommendation Cuenca.

:newthumb:
glad you enjoyed it mate.......it's a "go to" for me...

and at that price, it's hard not to.....

only found it when I was reading an article about cigars, and it would appear that (maybe just for the article) the growers enjoy this Nicaraguan rum with their Nicaraguan cigars. something about the land/earth relating to both the cigar and rum. living here I didn't think I'd see it but kept an eye out and found it. it's normally 19 dollars which is still a good deal, but lots of time the supermarket will have it on sale for about 15 dollars or thereabout.

of course pretty much all central and south American countries have an abundance of sugar cane so they can knock this stuff out pretty cheaply. we have a local one and the 5 year old is about 9 dollars and the 7 about 11. but funnily enough I prefer the 5, but with Flor de Cana the 7 is way better than than the 4.

and it's supposedly certified carbon neutral

https://www.flordecana.com/

aged in bourbon barrels and they do (I haven't seen it here at all, not even in the liquor stores) 12,25 and 30 year old too.

on a US website I found 50 bucks for the 18 year old,

and it being certified carbon neutral the more I drink the more I help the world !!!!!!!!

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Manny decades ago, when living in Scotland for a short while, I was a big fan of Mcewans Export. I saw some in the shop yesterday and bought 4 as a nostalgia trip.

I drunk them last night.

Very unsatisfying and not as I remembered - the phrase bang average was made for it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:39 pm Manny decades ago, when living in Scotland for a short while, I was a big fan of Mcewans Export. I saw some in the shop yesterday and bought 4 as a nostalgia trip.

I drunk them last night.

Very unsatisfying and not as I remembered - the phrase bang average was made for it.
wow mate that brings back memories..

before every home game, we'd do the WM Club so my mate who usually worked at Ford's Dagenham on Saturday morning could grab a bite to eat.

we usually had a McEwans Export and a cocktail of some ilk as well.

we were pretty well bladdered before we got in the ground especially at the prices we paid in there.

never did have a large bladder myself so it was about 4 or 6 trips to the bog. we were in the East Terrace at that time......pretty sure the people around used to say, "make way, here he comes..again....." by the time I got there and back it was time to go again !!!!!!

shame to hear its gone down, but then again maybe our memories of those days weren't spot on and it wasn't really that good to begin with......
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:39 pm Manny decades ago, when living in Scotland for a short while, I was a big fan of Mcewans Export. I saw some in the shop yesterday and bought 4 as a nostalgia trip.

I drunk them last night.

When I was 16 or 17 in the mid 90s and just started drinking and trying all the different lagers, I can remember having a can or two of McEwans.

Never rated it even then and it’s priced accordingly now - it’s one of those forgotten brands like Skol, Hoffmeister or Carling.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Anyone tried Hawkstone?