The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by Tezza65 »

smuts wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am Zahawi has been tin tacked.
All we need to do now is sack the rest of them. :winker:
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Tbf at least this investigation managed to show Zahawi to be bigger **** than ppl might have originally thought. He should be having the whip removed too!

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

At what point does Sunak decide he doesn't need all this sh*t and call a General Election?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Today hopefully. 🙂 But in reality, not a chance. They’d be anihilated if there was an election in the next couple of months.

Assuming, and it is an assumption, that they don’t implode then he or his successor or his successor’s successor for that matter (who can be sure with this mob?) will sit it out until at least the autumn of next year in the hope that a) something will turn up and b) that people forget the seemingly endless Tory ****-show.
Plashet Grove Pete

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:18 pm Today hopefully. 🙂 But in reality, not a chance. They’d be anihilated if there was an election in the next couple of months.

Assuming, and it is an assumption, that they don’t implode then he or his successor or his successor’s successor for that matter (who can be sure with this mob?) will sit it out until at least the autumn of next year in the hope that a) something will turn up and b) that people forget the seemingly endless Tory ****-show.
Yeah, you're right, but if I were him I'd be thinking ".... my wife's filthy rich, I've got my place in history, let's screw these tosspots who want to stab me in the back and put them all on the dole. I can't be arsed any more ...."
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

They'll limp on hoping either Labour implodes (always a possiblity) or the economy suddenly sorts itself out and they can start throwing out the giveaways.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:45 pm Yeah, you're right, but if I were him I'd be thinking ".... my wife's filthy rich, I've got my place in history, let's screw these tosspots who want to stab me in the back and put them all on the dole. I can't be arsed any more ...."
I get the sense he is actually there out of duty. Doesn't strike me as a freeloader like Boris out to make himself and his mates rich.

As you say he was wealthy enough before you even factor in his wife to not need the hassle. The reason this sacking took so long is because he wanted to make sure a fair process was run. I don't agree, but I respect what that days about his character.

I just think it is an impossible job. While he may limp on with a view to things being better come election time, I'm fairly sure Starmer will want him to as well. You only get a limited window to blame the other lot and there is plenty more pain to come this year.

Whoever wins the next election has no guarantees of another term after. The country is a basket case.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The natural next step for this shower is for someone to do time. Sooner the better.

They're embarrassing our great country.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

MB wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:04 pm While he may limp on with a view to things being better come election time, I'm fairly sure Starmer will want him to as well.
Absolutely he will. Starmer knows the game, and will play it like a fiddle as all he has to do is demand a general election at PM'Qs every week, knowing that it won't happen until 2024, and keep his policies for government under wraps.

Best thing for Labour is the current Conservative government...and you can bet your bottom dollar they won't be upsetting that rancid apple cart just yet
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

simon hammer wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 pm Absolutely he will. Starmer knows the game, and will play it like a fiddle as all he has to do is demand a general election at PM'Qs every week, knowing that it won't happen until 2024, and keep his policies for government under wraps.

Best thing for Labour is the current Conservative government...and you can bet your bottom dollar they won't be upsetting that rancid apple cart just yet
Surely from a Labour point of view, the risk is that the economy makes a (even) semi-decent recovery, inflation drops off and prices start coming down.

The electorate have a very short memory, if things seem ok today, who cares what happened yesterday?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:07 am Surely from a Labour point of view, the risk is that the economy makes a (even) semi-decent recovery, inflation drops off and prices start coming down.

The electorate have a very short memory, if things seem ok today, who cares what happened yesterday?
There is nothing you can do about that.
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

Surely even the remaining tory supporters must be getting pissed off with this stuff.

They continue to stick up and make excuses etc when things start to come out - eg Michelle Mone, Zahawi, the numerous sexual abuse scandals and then as time goes on and the level of corruption/dishonest that gets exposed and they are left holding the baby
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Genuinely astonished Zaharwi has not been nicked.

You or I would have been.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

One poll, very unlikely, long way to go etc, but the interesting thing was seeing some modelling on how that would translate to Westminster seats and it was quite shocking.

Labour: 500+
Tory: 20-25ish
LD: 20ish
SNP: 49

SNP would be the official opposition for winning 6% of the votes. Good old FPTP eh?

If that doesn't highlight the fundamental undemocratic flaw in out crap voting system I don't what will.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:34 pm
One poll, very unlikely, long way to go etc, but the interesting thing was seeing some modelling on how that would translate to Westminster seats and it was quite shocking.

Labour: 500+
Tory: 20-25ish
LD: 20ish
SNP: 49

SNP would be the official opposition for winning 6% of the votes. Good old FPTP eh?

If that doesn't highlight the fundamental undemocratic flaw in out crap voting system I don't what will.
And the dates of that poll don't include the Zahawi sacking...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

If Labour got 500+ seats out of 650 there would be no effective opposition. That wouldn't be good for our democracy either.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Exactly Sendo, FPTP is very bad for our democracy

51% of votes should equate as closely as is possible to 51% of the seats, 26% of the votes should get you 160 odd seats, not 20.

I guess the Tories might find out that if you live by FPTP you die by FPTP.
Last edited by Junco Partner on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plashet Grove Pete

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:10 pm Exactly Sendo, FPTP is very bad for our democracy

51% of votes should equate as closely as is possible to 51% of the seats, 26% of the votes shouldn't get you 160 odd seats, not 20.

I guess the Tories might find out that if you live by FPTP you die by FPTP.
The argument against PR is no party would ever get a workable majority. Mind you, given how things have been run for the last few decades some sort of coalition might be the best we can hope for.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:28 pm The argument against PR is no party would ever get a workable majority.
Under our current systems we have coalitions, they just happen within parties behind closed doors now, rather than in public between separate parties.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm Under our current systems we have coalitions, they just happen within parties behind closed doors now, rather than in public between separate parties.
Yep....see ERG, Covid Recovery Group, and however many more that exist in Tory party. I assume some must also exist in Labour?