What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Oldun »

We just got Apple+ and have watched Bad Sisters and 2 series of Slow Horses,absolutely brilliant programmes.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

A bunch of Eddie Aikau ‘23 Big Wave Invitational YouTube videos. It’s the most prestigious big wave surf event and it rarely takes place because the surf has to sustain at a certain size for an entire day, and that rarely happens. It happened this year in a very big way, pun intended. If you like surfing even just a little bit, watching highlights of this event is worth your time. Stunning.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

The 2nd series of Jack Ryan, more good stuff. Onto the 3rd series.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

SKY ARTS.

Jeff Beck, Live at the Holywood Bowl(2017)

Jeff at his usual best with lots of guest appearances , including Buddy Guy, Beth Hart, Rosie Bones and Billy Gibbons

(hoping the BBC(I think its theirs) show his live at Ronne Scotts soon)
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Last of Us ep 1. Won’t be looking at my nan the same after that.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Chase - 1966 No, not the Bradley Walsh quiz show- a star packed fillm staring Marlon Brando, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Angie Dickenson and Robert Duvall.

I'm not a fan of films set in the deep south but this film is a much overlooked gem. Basically Bubba (Robert Redford) escapes jail and inadvetrantly ends up back in his home town. Things have changed since he's been away. His GF is having an affair with the son of a millionaire, people are worried he's come back to settle long overdue scores andthe whole town is worried.

The Sheffif (Marlon Brando) belives Bubba to be an innocent man, much to the ire of the locals. Brando employs unorthadox tactics to get Bubba to come in and they are suppered at every turn. Racisim is endemic amongst it's locals and a black guy gets badly hurt because he knows where Bubba is hiding.

All in all it's good performances all round. Brando shines as the lead, Dickinson is as cool, sultry sexy, yet hard and determined. The plot is decent, yet the end scenes at the use car lot push the suspension of disbelief too far. And there is no real happy ending. I really liked it.

The Left Hand of God 1955 Humphrey Bogart, LJ Cobb. Bogart is a priest that comes to a local Chinese community in a Chinese village to encourage their conversion to Christianity - except he's not! A slow burning, emotional onion layered film with Bogart showing a versitility no usually shown in his films. That said, he's still one of the hardest acting, meanest looking priests I've ever seen on film. If you like Bogart you'll love this.

Nazi Megastuctures: America's War - D Day A fact filled coverage of D Day, mostly from the viewpoint of the USA and Germany. Great input and analysis from Holland, Pollard et al. A lot of serendipty about it: A break in the Weather, Rommell being back in Germany, no one having the balls to wake Hitler up after he took a sleeping pill - all helped greatly.

The Nurenburg Trials - the Recordings. Unbekwownst to the partcipants, the Nurenburg trials were toatlly recorded on approx 4,0000 records. They are kept in a secret location for safekeeing as some people want them destroyed as they are proof of the Nazi's atrocities. The words come from the Nazi'z own lips. It was clear to see how 9 of the Nazi's were sentanced to death and why Donitz, Speer and Hess got imprisonment. It was also very clear to see why Hess got life - his final conclusion was a chilling reminder of the real Nazi mindset. Not commonly known is that 3 of the accused were found not guilty. An amazing doccumentary - well worth a watch for WW2 buffs. Narrated by a very old sounding Richard Dreyfuss too.
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Which platform did you watch the Nuremberg trials on WHU I?
Thanks in advance.
alski
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by alski »

Coops wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:24 pm My famous nephew told me that being the victim in Death in Paradise is a much sort after role among jobbing actors.
The actor usually has all their filming during the first week, but they have to keep them out there, until filming the rest of the episode has ended, just in case they need to reshoot or film something else.
So they get flown to a paradise island, do a weeks work and then get a free holiday for the rest of the week, on full pay, all food included.
Is he a Hammer, your nephew?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Over the last couple of nights I've watched AlphaMales - a Spanish comedy about 'toxic masculinity' and modern life. It's pretty good.

I've also watched Narvik which is the latest in a bunch of decent WW2 movies. I've recently caught The Forgotten Battle and the excellent Bombardment which is definitely the pick of the three.

All on Netflix.
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Was watching Sunday Brunch this morning and one of the guests was a guy called Phil Rosenthal who had starred in a sitcom I've never watched called 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. To cut a long story short I found the guy so personable when interviewed that I decided to check out his food travelogue on Netflix called 'Somebody Feed Phil' and found it entertaining with a very engaging presenter. Worth a watch if you are a foodie :newthumb:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Thought yesterday's HV was brilliant...much better than a week ago.

I fancy that Ryan is going to go along with t'plan, but, once his dad has revealed his whereabouts, will tell his gran.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

alski wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:07 pm Is he a Hammer, your nephew?
It was either Sky Doc's, Sky History or the PBS America mate- can't remember what siade. Sorry. It was part of National Holocaust Day.

The prog is over 1:30 horus long but is utterly riviting.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

was there a

VERA

season 11 episodes 5 and 6 ?

not showing anywhere on the "usual suspects."

Season 12 is up but not those last 2 episodes which shows as being televised on Wiki

:eh:
Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 pm was there a

VERA

season 11 episodes 5 and 6 ?

not showing anywhere on the "usual suspects."

Season 12 is up but not those last 2 episodes which shows as being televised on Wiki

:eh:

I just read the synopsis for season 11 episode 5 on IMDB and it is the episode that was only just shown a few weeks ago on ITV so I'm guessing it got pushed back and tagged onto the beginning of Season 12.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Not last night but Saturday, missus bought two tickets to Whitney Houston bio-pic. Maybe due to having a very low expectation but I thought it was fantastic. A troubled life and ultimately a waste of life but my word what a talent.
r99c
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

John Barnes dropping a load of truth bombs.

Highly recommended.

Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

We are halfway through this latest series of Silent Witness, and what an absolute pile of ***** it is. Again.

Surely this has to be it for the program, it's had a great run but in truth it has been in decline for years.

It's now so weakly written, with so many below average actors and cheesy side stories that it has totally consumed itself.

Lay it to rest BBC, don't bother with the post mortem
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Watched the first two parter of this series and haven’t bothered with the rest.
To be honest we could have bailed a couple of years ago, it’s been on a downward trajectory for a while.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Having finally given up on Silent Witness after the first 4 of the current 10 we watched the last 2 this week, and whereas it was still poor it was at least more 'lab' and less 'shoot 'em up' and so slightly more acceptable than the atrocious 'first 4'

Agree though, it's done as a series and ought to be dropped.

as an aside I do wonder if The BBC , increasingly 'starved' of licence fees are 'pursuing' some of these shows as they are marketable across the world?
I'm not suggesting that's what they should be doing but they produce some wonderful TV and perhaps the 'crap' is a way to help fund it?
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

chalks wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:50 pm Just finished Echo 3 on Apple TV. What a fantastic show. Anyone else seen it?
Seen it seen it seen it

Seen it seen it

Seen it.