NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by WCpete »

Nick's in trouble.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that's brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:

were she a bit older she could have said "Dad, I'm doing this sign language for the benefit of the hearing impaired !!!!"
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:55 pm Happy Anniversary!
Literally one of the best days of my life. Was there in person. Long story, but my friend got tickets from Frank Gifford. There was no week off that year, so didn't get invited until the Tuesday before. Drank way too much Makers Mark for breakfast in the ABC hospitality tent and was too polluted to have a clear memory of it all. New Kids on the Block halftime is something I'll never get over..was the first time they made the break a pop music spectacle and it was decidedly cringey. Parked next to 3 very obese gentlemen in a beat up Oldsmobile who had made the drive down to Tampa from Buffalo, which is over 1200 miles. Very good-natured, they saved a couple of cases of beer for their victory celebration. When we got back there after the game, they were slowly pouring them out on the ground one can at a time. No way they could have known how much worse it would get. Not as big an upset as later Giants super bowl wins, Buffalo was a heavy favorite going in and at the time this was one of the bigger SB upsets. The emotional roller-coaster as the game unfolded was gut-wrenching. The safety was deflating but when OJ Anderson was throwing forearms into defenders at the end of his runs, I thought we had a shot. When Mark Ingram broke a bunch of tackles to convert a third and long, was sure we'd win. Their last drive down the field seemed like certain doom...until it wasn't. From our perspective, Norwood's kick looked like it missed by a mile. It was only later that night seeing the highlights on TV did I realize how close it really was.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

:scarfer:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Can't believe that was 16 years ago.

That 3rd and 11 Manning to Smith with 45 seconds left is the underrated play of that game. That effort from Smith saved the drive.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

SB predictions?

I cant see past an Eagles win tbh. Their defence is immense.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Chiefs.
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

I don't know too much about the NFL teams so I choose by which food associated with the teams I would prefer.

In this case it's Kansas barbecue vs Philly cheese-steak.

The BBQ is dry rubbed (who doesn't love a dry rub?) then slow cooked with a tangy tomato barbecue sauce.

A Philly cheese-steak is thin sliced meat cooked with onion, maybe mushroom or peppers & then cheese melted on it & served in a long soft roll. Back in 1998 I got sacked from cruise ships so spent a summer near Charleston, South Carolina, making these.

While typing this I just found out the place closed down a couple of months ago after 30+ years. The owner died last year & his son, who I knew as a kid, is a raving trumper who doesn't want the nuts & bolts of actually running a business.

So with that in mind I will pick the Phillys to win. Cheese-steak for everyone :smiler:

https://www.live5news.com/2022/10/24/su ... -32-years/
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Philly cheese-steaks are the most overrated heart burn inducing life shortening toilet clogging food available in the US. They are unquestionably the reason Philadelphians are so grumpy and agitated all of the time.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Is Mahomes fully recovered from his injury? I’m no expert but it appeared to be the type of injury that could flare up quite easily … particularly if a 300lb defender lands on it.

As much as I want The Chiefs to win, I think the Eagles will be too strong. At least Kelce will get a winners ring.
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:53 pm Philly cheese-steaks are the most overrated heart burn inducing life shortening toilet clogging food available in the US. They are unquestionably the reason Philadelphians are so grumpy and agitated all of the time.
Sums me up to a tee :grin:

I once did read it was the most unhealthy of all fast foods/sandwiches.

There's a Kansas City Barbecue place here in San Diego. It's where they filmed the singing scenes in the original Top Gun. I was cycling past it 2 years ago when Kansas won the divisional title & loads of drunken Missouri & Kansas people spilt out onto the street. They ALL looked alike, men & women. Very squarely built with ruddy faces & the same haircuts.

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

pablo jaye wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:02 pm Is Mahomes fully recovered from his injury? I’m no expert but it appeared to be the type of injury that could flare up quite easily … particularly if a 300lb defender lands on it.

As much as I want The Chiefs to win, I think the Eagles will be too strong. At least Kelce will get a winners ring.
I haven't been paying attention, tbh. He's had a couple of weeks to heal though. Eagles probably should win this game. I think they're probably the better team on paper. I sort of feel like they got away with one against the 49ers. If SF had had a QB I'm not sure Philly would have won that game. Anyhow, I don't give a rat's ass about the Chiefs, but I hate Philadelphia. I'm not going to care if the Chiefs win, but I'm going to love it if the Eagles lose.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cheesesteak on a soft roll is decidedly inauthentic. That's the kind of slop you get at Subway. The bread is key, and it ain't supposed to be some sloppy mush.

A proper cheesesteak is amazing, but going roast pork is as much of a Philly thing. Sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is the way to go. Suck it up. Embrace the indigestion.

On topic: Eff the Eagles
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

:swear: Headbanger

FFS. As if I didn't feel old enough already.

Thankfully, I just saw a video that said Jaromir Jagr is still playing professional hockey in Europe, and is still scoring goals. He was a sworn enemy back in the day, but he's representing the old farts of the world now.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Supporting the Chiefs, love Mahomes as a talent. Really fear Philly, they look complete unit.

Worried the run will be too powerful for even Spag to sort out.

Reid is going to be in creative genius mode to come out on top.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

What a start!
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

2 offsides calls against the Chiefs on Eagles 4th downs have cost them dearly. Bad mistakes. And now Mahomes has been hobbled. Game’s on the line here.