The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Re: The Police

Post by sendô »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:39 am Somebody's going to ask the question at some point, so it might as well be me.

Tyre Nicholas seemed like a nice chap. I wonder if he'd still be alive if he wasn't American?
Most likely, which is the crux of the problem here. Not skin colour.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

https://news.sky.com/story/serving-dors ... s-12799124
A serving officer with Dorset Police has been charged with eight sexual offences, including two charges of rape.

Constable Ravi Canhye, 46, will appear at Poole Magistrates' Court on Friday following the charges.

The rape charges relate to two women and allegedly took place while the officer was off duty in early 2022, Dorset Police said.

The force added that Canhye was suspended at the time the allegations were made.

A Dorset Police spokesman said on Monday: "A serving Dorset Police officer is to appear in court charged with rape.

"Police Constable Ravi Canhye, aged 46, was charged with offences on Tuesday 24 January 2023 and will appear at Poole Magistrates' Court on Friday 3 February 2023 charged with eight sexual offences including two charges of rape.

"The charges relate to offences against two women committed while Ravi Canhye was off-duty during early 2022.

MORE ON METROPOLITAN POLICE
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Met Police in trouble again ...

sendô

Post by sendô »

^ Not to excuse this, but you've got to laugh at the brass ****ing balls of Qatari backed Al Jazeera reporting on this like they're all morally outraged. :lol:
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:07 pm ^ Not to excuse this, but you've got to laugh at the brass ****ing balls of Qatari backed Al Jazeera reporting on this like they're all morally outraged. :lol:
I've watched it twice to check but can't hear anything that sounds like moral outrage. It's a straight up news report. No opinion offered just facts.
sendô

Post by sendô »

It's a standard dead cat practise.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

Post by Shabu »

I didn't see any 'morale outrage', just a report.

Talk about bending facts for your own agenda. Pot, kettle & black springs to mind.

And talking of black, what the f*ck was the copper trying to do/prove?
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Shabu wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:26 pm I didn't see any 'morale outrage', just a report.

Talk about bending facts for your own agenda. Pot, kettle & black springs to mind.

And talking of black, what the f*ck was the copper trying to do/prove?
He was all over the place, racially abusing him one minute then saying don't hide behind your skin colour, be proud of it the next. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible that the PC concerned was black and badly copying the Chris Rock routine?

Anyway:

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1603 likes

Post by alf git »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm Met Police in trouble again ...

He's probably a chief constable by now.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Shabu wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:26 pm Talk about bending facts for your own agenda. Pot, kettle & black springs to mind.
Yes, that's the point - Al Jazeera have got some front reporting on this.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Deeply concerning, especially considering cases relying on written testimony from police officers could potentially be put in jeopardy because a copper can't even master the basics of reading and writing.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/met-acceptin ... crime-rep/
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:35 am Deeply concerning, especially considering cases relying on written testimony from police officers could potentially be put in jeopardy because a copper can't even master the basics of reading and writing.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/met-acceptin ... crime-rep/
I'd perfer a copper than can't read or write to one that can rape and kill... (tongue firmly in cheek)...

That report mentions that the feedback so far is anecdotal. Would be good to get some hard facts behind it. And the easy solution is to test people's reading and writing skills and reject them. I'd be surprised if that's not currently how they assess applications.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Met drugs commander took LSD, cannabis and magic mushroome
A Met Police commander who wrote the force's current drug strategy is facing a misconduct hearing accused of taking magic mushrooms, LSD and cannabis.

Cdr Julian Bennett is accused of three allegations of discreditable conduct.

He is alleged to have taken the drugs while on holiday in France between February 2019 and July 2020.

His lawyer told the hearing it was biased and urged the panel to recuse themselves, citing concerns about the disclosure of evidence.

The Met's Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stuart Cundy also attended the hearing, and remained silent except to confirm he was present as a "police friend" - a term used to describe a supportive police representative for someone facing misconduct proceedings.

The first allegation against Cdr Bennett says he used controlled drugs while off duty between February 2019 and July 2020.

The second alleges he refused to comply with a lawful order to provide a sample for a drugs test on 21 July 2020.

The third, also relating to 21 July 2020, accuses Cdr Bennett of lying about why he could not provide a sample.

more...
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

^
Given that roughly 10% of the population admit to taking illegal drugs (its probably much higher in reality) then there are likely to be many more Police Officers who indulge.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

There are loads. I worked at the same nick as a PC who ended up on the front page of either The Sun or the News of the World as he was a dealer. He didn’t last long.

But this guy ^^^ wrote the Met’s drug policy? 😆 Ten years ago I’d have thought “you couldn’t make it up”. Now I think hey ho, another day in Met land. As for the senior officer turning up to support this bloke - clearly he hasn’t got the sense or judgement he was born with. Most at that rank are triumphs of ambition over ability.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Sounds charming ... he'll more than likely get bashed in prison ...

https://news.sky.com/story/west-midland ... 39b2153558
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Met Police ask 250 officers with misconduct records to return
The Met has admitted it wrote to more than 250 retired police officers with misconduct records inviting them to re-apply for their former jobs.

It has also been revealed that they wrote to a further 99 officers who retired while under investigation.

The findings were originally revealed by a Freedom of Information request from The Times.

The force has apologised, saying writing to the officers without due checks was an error.

The nature and severity of the misconduct of the officers is not known, or whether any were found to have committed gross misconduct.

The findings follow recent scandals involving serving Met officers who have been convicted of violent crimes.

The letters were sent as part of the Met's "enhanced return scheme", which awards officers full pay, alongside their pension.

The Met confirmed to the BBC 848 letters were sent in the year to last June to "recent" retirees. A further 2,364 who had retired up to five years ago were issued in October 2022.

more...
Yep.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

One in ten who have joined recently shouldn’t have passed vetting. As ridiculous as Line of Duty was, there are real life Ryan Pilkingtons …

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e-watchdog
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

A couple of mates from work were getting grief in a pub from another couple of blokes just before Christmas. They thought everything had been calmed down but the blokes followed them when they left, at the station my mates split to go their own way and that's when the blokes started on one of them. Luckily my other mate heard the commotion and came back, it was only when things went wrong for the attackers that one of them started waving his Met warrant card around, the British Transport Police were quickly on the scene and split everything up.
To say the BTP were less than impressed with the Met plod would be an understatement, names were taken from all concerned and they were sent on their way, we're now awaiting further news once the BTP have looked at the CCTV.......
Last edited by delbert on Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.