What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Pete647580 »

Back on iPlayer. Seen it a couple of times already but still makes me laugh.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:06 am Watched the first two parter of this series and haven’t bothered with the rest.
To be honest we could have bailed a couple of years ago, it’s been on a downward trajectory for a while.
picked this one out of the three on Silent Witness

loved the actual show from inception. like all shows they have had their ups and downs, but like yourself I SHOULD have bailed a couple of series ago.

I did read on here the new series had started and once I would have searched out the shows, but because I had no real impetus from the last 2 series, the last one in particular was dreadful, I had completely forgotten about the new series.

not bothered that I did forget and haven't really missed watching this latest which sounds like I made the correct choice.

shame really
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Watching Yellow Jackets at the moment (Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis).

A definite Lord of the Fly's vibe going on (don't want to say too much. Spoilers and all that). Enjoying it so far.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by Denzil »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:18 pm Watching Yellow Jackets at the moment (Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis).

A definite Lord of the Fly's vibe going on (don't want to say too much. Spoilers and all that). Enjoying it so far.
Cracking series. Can't wait for S2
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

1883 and 1923

Having binged our way through every available episode of 5 seasons of Taylor Sheridan’s Yellowstone Mrs CRS and I turned our focus towards the two prequels. I believe there is only 1 season of 1883 with no plans for a second and it does rather end with no loose ends so that makes sense. Really enjoyed it if a little slow to start but once it got going was great to watch. Sam Elliott is good value as always and there’s a blink and you’ll miss it cameo from Tom Hanks. It’s an old fashioned tale of settlers heading East and the perils that await them with some stunning cinematography along the way.
We are currently waiting for 1923 to restart after mid season break and I’m not so sure with this one. Again it looks stunning but Harrison Ford is such a mumbler it’s hard to decipher him at times and what with Jerome Flynn and Dame Helen Mirren chucking in some dodgy accents it almost warrants subtitles. Plenty of time to recover but jury out for me.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

OFT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 am Having finally given up on Silent Witness after the first 4 of the current 10 we watched the last 2 this week, and whereas it was still poor it was at least more 'lab' and less 'shoot 'em up' and so slightly more acceptable than the atrocious 'first 4'

Agree though, it's done as a series and ought to be dropped.
Yup we've watched all of this series and I thought this weeks 2 episodes were by far the best of a poor bunch.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Started Wakanda Forever, did the first hour and it doesn't feel like a MCU film, somber, lack of action, story is a bit off (but it is the MCU.) No idea if it descends into CGI madness in the second half but decent thus far.

EDIT : Struggled to finish it to be honest. I cannot get invested in any of the characters, the story seemed weak.. why did it happen? the reasons were weaker than kids at school fighting, as for the lead, no she just doesn't carry it for me.

It was for want of a better word 'boring'
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2573 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've been watching Westworld for the first time and so far, I'm very much enjoying it. Not quite finished season 1 yet. For those that have seen it - does it maintain its quality across seasons? Or is it another one of those that deteriorate after a good start?
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Definitely column B for us BH. Lost interest but ploughed through with Series 2, didn't bother with the rest.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:21 am I've been watching Westworld for the first time and so far, I'm very much enjoying it. Not quite finished season 1 yet. For those that have seen it - does it maintain its quality across seasons? Or is it another one of those that deteriorate after a good start?
I'd probably leave it at season 1 if I were you, I thought it was brilliant, but sadly it's downhill from there.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Absolutely

Series 1 was fantastic but I bailed on second series relatively early, fell off a cliff sadly, the show not me 😁
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

Started watching Everything everywhere all at once. I loved it for the first 20 minutes or so but then when the metaverse thing kicked off and given I was quite tired I stopped it after about another 20 minutes for another day when I had more energy and better concentration levels. Hoping its not another Tenet, which I enjoyed without having a clue what was going on.

I'm not sure what to make of it so far and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes tend to be either 1 star or 5 star so clearly a marmite movie. The two leads are great so far though, I've always like Michelle Yeoh in everything I've seen her in, and its great to see 'Short Round' from the Indy films back on screen again
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1083 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 pm was there a

VERA

season 11 episodes 5 and 6 ?

not showing anywhere on the "usual suspects."

Season 12 is up but not those last 2 episodes which shows as being televised on Wiki

:eh:
Following what episode/series is next is harder than working out whodunnit. I think 5 and 6 of series 11 are Vital Signs and The way the wind blows.

They were new to ITV this January but have been 'available online' since last year when we watched them - presumably they aired overseas. We didn't realise this so it was a bit confusing when we sat down to watch the 'new' episodes only to realise we had seen them.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

episode 1 series 12 was the same one as listed on Wiki

DCI Vera Stanhope (Brenda Blethyn) is called to a remote lighthouse where a body has been discovered lashed to a sailboat.

so I'm still missing the last 2 of season 11..
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2573 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Whitters wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:17 pm Started watching Everything everywhere all at once. I loved it for the first 20 minutes or so but then when the metaverse thing kicked off and given I was quite tired I stopped it after about another 20 minutes for another day when I had more energy and better concentration levels. Hoping its not another Tenet, which I enjoyed without having a clue what was going on.

I'm not sure what to make of it so far and audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes tend to be either 1 star or 5 star so clearly a marmite movie. The two leads are great so far though, I've always like Michelle Yeoh in everything I've seen her in, and its great to see 'Short Round' from the Indy films back on screen again
It was a very bizarre film. Even after it finished I was unsure whether it was a work of genius or completely and utterly awful. It had my attention for the duration though which is more than be said for many films I watch these days.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Endured another dismal episode of Silent Witness. The deadest thing about it is the script and the acting.

It's so woke and feeble these days it's almost funny. The orthodox jew character is such a terrible actor for a start.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm Endured another dismal episode of Silent Witness. The deadest thing about it is the script and the acting.

It's so woke and feeble these days it's almost funny. The orthodox jew character is such a terrible actor for a start.
I don't have any problems whatsoever with the actors involved to represent ALL walks of life.

but a couple of seasons back it seemed like they had to tick EVERY box at least twice in every episode so it seemed as though they leaned too far to appease everyone they could. all of the time.

as I said above, I haven't even bothered with this new series and I only struggled through the last 2 seasons really out of "loyalty" as I have watched every episode of every season since inception.

foolish me......
'stone hammer
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 534 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:23 pm I was unsure whether it was a work of genius or completely and utterly awful.
A bit of both, I thought. A great idea, far too silly at times but it was nice to be entertained and see something slightly more original than the previous 50 marvel films.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm Endured another dismal episode of Silent Witness. The deadest thing about it is the script and the acting.

I'm self harming too and have stuck with it, and will see it through to the end before bidding it farewell. 3 episodes to go...

There is way too little of what the series is meant to be about, way too many irrelevant side stories.

The writing is poor, the acting by the bulk of the characters and pretty much all of the supporting cast is abysmal, the scripts, scenarios and coincidences are laughable

It's been on a downward trajectory for years, it's reached rock bottom this series.

If this was a new program, first series, there never would have been a second series
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Watched the final double episode of Frasier on Channel 4 this morning

Seen it many many times before, but still brilliant TV

Probably the best ending to any comic series I can think of, almost faultless. You can even forgive the presence of Antony La Paglia, Robbie Coltrane and Richard E Grant as the most mis-matched Mancunians to ever have appeared on screen