Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by The Straw »

West Ham Matt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm If Sullivan sells Rice, he will pocket the lot and do one.
How's he gonna do that then?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Absolutely zero guarantee he'd get the foothold in the game had we not seen something in him and gave him the Footballing education we did. He quite easily could have got disheartened and fallen by the way side like so many at that age do. We saved him from going down that route and actually gave him the platform and coaching to be 1 of the worlds best at what he does.

So yeah, he definitely owes us a hell of a lot of respect and I think that's more than evident by the way he holds the Club in high esteem and to date has done things the right way. It would be disingenuous to say that's not the case.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

West Ham Matt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm If Sullivan sells Rice, he will pocket the lot and do one.
Rice is an asset of West Ham United, not David Sullivan. Sullivan is a major shareholder but that does not enable him to pocket the cash and sod off. That would be theft.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:32 pm Absolutely zero guarantee he'd get the foothold in the game had we not seen something in him and gave him the Footballing education we did.
I'm sure there are many people at the club he would owe thanks to, I'm sure coaches and club staff go above and beyond for our players. There's no guarantee that he wouldn't have gone on to do the same elsewhere either.
We saved him from going down that route and actually gave him the platform and coaching to be 1 of the worlds best at what he does.
That feels disingenuous, because it implies that Rice did little to 'save himself from that route' as you say. No, Rice showed enough talent, mental fortitude, or both to show someone at West Ham that he was worth taking a punt on.

Interesting quote from https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/declan-rice
Dan Kemp, who played alongside Rice in Chelsea's academy, was quoted by Talksport as saying: "It was really upsetting, but also the massive thing was how much of a shock it was.

"None of us saw it coming. Even at that age, he was such a good player. It was such a massive shock to see him go because I never thought for one minute he'd be released.
"To this day, I couldn't really think of a reason why they would release him. I suppose they had their individual reasons, which we'll probably never, ever know.
Albie Beck said above that Rice had several options, not just West Ham. We didn't save him, we capitalised on Chelsea's mistake.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 am It’s interesting that Arsenal pursued Caicedo so heavily but didn’t appear to test us on Rice. Would suggest he’s given indications he’s not moving now, or that we’re not likely to play ball.
yeah, i wondered about that - there were rumours of interest and you'd think they would be prepared to pay a bit of a premium on top of the 70m to get an English player (and that we would say yes at £80-90m at least if we werent hovvering on the edge of relegation).
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

SteveHarris'bass wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:39 pm Rice has no more loyalty to West Ham United than he had to the Republic of Ireland.

He'll be gone in the summer, we just have to hope the money the club get for him is spent wisely. :hammb:
no reason he should have felt loyalty to Ireland - he isnt Irish. Flag of connvenience.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:49 pm Not next move he won't

He is like harry kane in the sense he is a real home bod. Loves his family, mates, where he grew up etc. He had a baby four months ago. As i understand it, he would rather not even move out of London if he can help it
Correct. Mummy’s boy and basically does what his parents advise (not a dig by the way). Not fussed where he goes personally but at least with Chelsea it means the fee gets topped up with Boehly Tax.
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Amd if another Club did decide to take a punt on a released Academy player at the age of 14 and gave him the pathway to do what he's doing, then they too could have claimed of saving him. They didn't though and we did, which is why he owes us for believing in what we saw in him from a young age. There's also no guarantee he would have made it with us and work had to be done to refine his natural talent which we successfully done from the bottom of the Club to the top of the Senior Team. I'm just grateful West Ham did save him from possibly going down a different route, as so many others before and after him would have. Not every talented kid makes it, no matter how many might or might not get a look at that player and thankfully for both him and us, we recognised his ability, even though Chelsea ****ed him off and 1 who are supposed to be a Club close to his heart. He owes us everything for that belief when they clearly didn't.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:01 pm If Arsenal want Rice, we should demand £80m plus Thomas Partey.

:smiler:
If West Ham signed Partey then he would get the jail. Probably.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:51 pm No, I believe we took him on after running the rule over him and deciding there's enough raw talent to make him in to a quality player for both our sake and ultimately his. Not because we pitied him.
we also nearly released him too but for one youth coach saying he would make it to the very top
ParkersHere
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by ParkersHere »

It's modern day football, dog eat dog nobody owns anyone anything.
Rice has been superb for us and will make the club more money than anybody would have dreamed of.
When he goes in the summer I just hope the money is spent wisely. I hope he continues to improve and one day leads England to victory in a tournament
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm Amd if another Club did decide to take a punt on a released Academy player at the age of 14 and gave him the pathway to do what he's doing, then they too could have claimed of saving him. They didn't though and we did, which is why he owes us for believing in what we saw in him from a young age. There's also no guarantee he would have made it with us and work had to be done to refine his natural talent which we successfully done from the bottom of the Club to the top of the Senior Team. I'm just grateful West Ham did save him from possibly going down a different route, as so many others before and after him would have. Not every talented kid makes it, no matter how many might or might not get a look at that player and thankfully for both him and us, we recognised his ability, even though Chelsea ****ed him off and 1 who are supposed to be a Club close to his heart. He owes us everything for that belief when they clearly didn't.
tbf he owes us nothing
he has provided 7 seasons of stellar performances, 100% commitment, a huge amount of positive PR and his sale will stick £80m in the clubs coffers (how that money is then used is not the fault of the player)

that seems enough payback to me!
Colours never run

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:09 pm tbf he owes us nothing
he has provided 7 seasons of stellar performances, 100% commitment, a huge amount of positive PR and his sale will stick £80m in the clubs coffers (how that money is then used is not the fault of the player)

that seems enough payback to me!
That's kind of what I'm getting at and I'm more than happy with that. :thup:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

He also had a trial lined up with Fulham I believe, we didn't save him, we just capitalised on the opportunity.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Declan…making a lads day..

DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:56 pm Declan…making a lads day
Whatever happens, he's done us proud...
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

:clap:

Superb tonight.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:56 pm Declan…making a lads day..

Please tell me he wasn't named after the Kray thug.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Absolutely superb tonight.

And he took a corner that unusually for West Ham didn't hit the first defender!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Going to be a sad day when this guy is no longer a Hammer.

Special player.