Will Still (WHU Related)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Will Still (WHU Related)

Post by Mullhull »

Has anyone heard this guy before?

Belgian born to British parents. Currently going on some crazy run with Reims in Ligue 1 they are paying a £22k fine per game he manages as he doesn't have his UEFA Pro license (in France weirdly).https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... atest-news

Only 30 years old. Went into coaching because he loved Championship Manager 🤣

Check out what he says here... Potential manager in the future? Who knows.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: Will Still (WHU Related)

Post by Wilko1304 »

Been reading about him for a few months now, he pops up in different sport pages every so often. Believe he's a West Ham fan, and he plays quite a progressive style and a system that would really suit us. And his knowledge of the French league would appear to sit well with our scouting (or where agents point us).

Would love us to have a go, but I would be shocked if they took the risk. Real shame, be nice to be fun.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If he was double his age and had managed about 3 Premier League clubs in the past, Sullivan would be all over him when Moyes’ time as our manager comes to the end.

As he isn’t, I doubt he’ll even be on his list. Let alone be a favourite.
Misko
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

I rate him a lot. Probably one of the very best coaches in France with Haise and Tudor. I secretly hope he would be the next OL manager. What he does with Reims is amazing, he turned average players into ferocious beasts. They used to be a very conservative side, sitting deep and counter attacking. They now are pressing with high intensity, the ball moves forward very quickly and they play with great confidence, they aren't afraid to take risks and it works.

Last weekend, they showed on TV a motivational speech he gave to his players during a training session, and he definitely has authority and charisma, even at such a young age.

The video below is in French but there is enough English (he speaks French, English and Flrmish) in it to be worth a look for those interested:

Last edited by Misko on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

What he is doing and how he is achieving it is ****ing impressive.

Thank you for sharing that clip Misko - looks to be a very happy training ground.

It'll be great to see how he progresses over a season or 2. I doubt anyone will take a punt on him quite yet (and I'm not sure they can until he gets his badges?) but if he keeps going the way he is there will be a long queue looking to take that punt.

A proper modern day coach by the looks of things. You can't help but get excited by his potential and backstory. He also has the presence of a real leader... not everyone has that.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

The funny thing is, were this a young player in France, Sullivan would love to be the one to buy him and try claim himself a talent spotter.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Making his own rules this young fella. We should definitely be looking at him but he’ll no doubt end up at Brentford or such like.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i reckon he will end up managing a progressive Championship club next season
For his sake, hopefully not Watford!
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

The results are good, but the self-declared shithousery is a bit Arteta-ish:

'I think we irritated them to a boiling point,' Still remembers. Their blueprint? 'Press them, foul them, go and grab them by the scuff of the neck, basically,' he explains.

'Don't let them play out, don't give Mbappe the space he wants... as soon as there's a little foul, just run at the referee and make it as loud as possible. Just annoy them as much as we could.'

I know a lot of people want us to be "better" at this stuff. I'd rather we didn't.
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:19 am i reckon he will end up managing a progressive Championship club next season
For his sake, hopefully not Watford!
Interestingly the founder of Championship Manager (and Football Manager) Miles Jacobson is on the board at Watford… so they will be well aware of him!
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Really good video showing how he has his team play.

Obviously it’s very early in his career but there is so much to like about him. Logic says wait and let him have another job somewhere and see how he gets on but if things don’t improve with Moyes, maybe we should just take the risk in the summer. He’d jump at the chance by the sound of it!
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

We could potentially be a Championship club next season..

:eyes:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am We could potentially be a Championship club next season..

:eyes:
If we did get relegated then 100% I’d be bringing him in.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Would never happen under these owners - but love the idea of bringing him in.

Be interesting to see how he copes with a bit of a rough patch….and a more ego driven squad.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Would be complete and utter madness for any Premier League club to bring someone in with such little experience & without qualification badges.

One to keep an eye on for sure, but not for another 5-10 years minimum.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

I've been following him since he got the job. Watched the PSG vs Reims game on Sunday and was raving about him on the other games thread. Finished 1-1 with Reims scoring with the very last kick of the match. Impressive young bloke. They play a good style and are afraid of nobody. Still early days but he's got something about him.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Yeah, s'all good when results are going your way. Obviously his bravery and talent is earning those results at the moment so he deserves the plaudits, but it's experience as well as bravery that gets you out of a hole when things aren't going so well. And invariably things go wrong.

He needs 3/4 years of experience at a minimum before he'd be a viable candidate.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'll add to that by saying that I want a manager like him at our club.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just picked up from that video....

"...and as everybody knows, it's a lot harder to build through the channels than it is to build through the centre of the pitch"

I could ridicule Moyes here but.... I'm not so sure that statement is actually true.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Great story this, hopefully he can keep it up and build on it.

Who knows where it will end, good luck to the guy