The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:19 am Maybe the reason why more people in general have patience with this load of strikes. We've all seen that when it is required, the money simply does seem to be there, so no more of that we can’t afford it please.

I thought you can already log into HMRC and see where your money has been spent?
Isn't the vaste chunk on "welfare" which people shout at benefits not realising that pension is the biggest one.

We know the money is there when needed.

Remember these workers striking now all worked throughout the lockdowns, NHS we clapped for but now we making them villains

Rishi stood on his door step clapping through his false smile and now he wants to pass a law to be able to sack them for striking

Get round the table and end the strike don't change the law to suit you

The law wouldn't even be needed if the government hadn't let it get to this state

Its well documented the gov is keeping the rail strikes going.

Network rail was ready to sign off a deal for pay but DFT said pull it.

If they gave a rise all the other services would need matching rises

They trying to reform tfl pension for no reason other than to asset strip it. Its well managed , well funded , in profit and affordable yet they want it reformed so you get less out of it and pay more for it
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Friend or Foé wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:40 am Simply cannot have a system that allows greater wage rises than the source from which it came from.
Does that maxim apply to dividends?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:25 am
If they gave a rise all the other services would need matching rises.
Correct. And there's the rub ....

"He's got a big raise I want it too. And you must spend money on where I work because the infrastructure is crumbling. And we need more people to do the job properly. And I don't want to pay more in taxes because my income is already going down in real terms".

Hope Sir Keir got a cunning plan because he's going to need one.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:57 am Correct. And there's the rub ....

"He's got a big raise I want it too. And you must spend money on where I work because the infrastructure is crumbling. And we need more people to do the job properly. And I don't want to pay more in taxes because my income is already going down in real terms".

Hope Sir Keir got a cunning plan because he's going to need one.
He just needs to be less corrupt than the shower we have in charge ATM and surround himself with a team that doesn't get investigated for tax fraud, bullying and alike .. but if he does do any of those come to the correct decision on their futures quicker.

All that long drawn out rubbish last year with party gate and Boris not resigning until it became more and more obvious he was unfit to lead

Its not going to be easy for anyone but a better example from above would be a start.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think both sides are quite agreed that the public sector needs an overhaul, accountability for money spent, ensuring there’s adequate resources on the front line etc.

But again, this is a thread about strikes. Start your own bloody thread if you want to discuss how we pay and fund the public sector.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am I think both sides are quite agreed that the public sector needs an overhaul, accountability for money spent, ensuring there’s adequate resources on the front line etc.

But again, this is a thread about strikes. Start your own bloody thread if you want to discuss how we pay and fund the public sector.
Trying to keep it on strikes entirely.

They have been brilliant the past 18 months in terms of planning , getting the word out there about what people want , union leaders coming accross well on programmes rather than dinosaurs they are accused of being

Lynch tying the likes of Morgan and burley up in knots when they try to turn the situation around on who's to blame for the action

I think we are moving closer to a general strike, surprised they didn't go for more together Wednesday just gone

Now the ball goes in the gov court to end this
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Not that brilliant surely if they are still going on 18 months later
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:08 am But again, this is a thread about strikes. Start your own bloody thread if you want to discuss how we pay and fund the public sector.
The strikes themselves are about how we pay and fund the public sector, no?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:48 am Not that brilliant surely if they are still going on 18 months later
Are they not? They have had the desired affect. The ball is in the govs court to end it

Its cost more in strike losses than the payrise would have cost

Poor management from the Tories. As always.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

jastons wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am The strikes themselves are about how we pay and fund the public sector, no?
Stop the massive removal of money from the railways by the private sector would help
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

jastons wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am The strikes themselves are about how we pay and fund the public sector, no?
Partly. The conversation keeps going down a different path when a valid point in relation to that is raised.

I find the lack of empathy and acknowledgment for teachers choosing to go without a day’s pay to highlight the systemic issues that is bringing our education system to its knees quite staggering.

Firefighters are now striking too. I’m looking forward to hearing that their productivity is down and if they don’t like it, go get another job.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am Partly. The conversation keeps going down a different path when a valid point in relation to that is raised.

I find the lack of empathy and acknowledgment for teachers choosing to go without a day’s pay to highlight the systemic issues that is bringing our education system to its knees quite staggering.

Firefighters are now striking too. I’m looking forward to hearing that their productivity is down and if they don’t like it, go get another job.
How long before some clown claims their response time is down ..

Don't close fire stations and they would be increased
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am Firefighters are now striking too. I’m looking forward to hearing that their productivity is down and if they don’t like it, go get another job.
They need to use 10% less water
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

jastons wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:13 am They need to use 10% less water
By jov. If we cut there numbers by 50 there will be less of them to use water

I mean sod the plebs who may pass just a cost exercise
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Cut the lot of them. Go back to the old system where you insured your building with a private group of firefighters and hoped your neighbour had done the same.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

There's only one day this month (next Wednesday) without a strike on it, which speaks volumes to how widely spread the issues in the public sector are at the moment.

That said, the most interesting strikes for me are the University lecturer ones - essentially a privately funded business with very little public money going in. For the best part of two decades students going in have seen fees going higher and higher and Universities making more and more money - some with profits over £100m a couple of years ago - and astronomical wages paid to figurehead vice chancellors who do sod all for their pay, rightly the staff are asking where the hell the money is going if not to support them in offering a good education and value for money for students.
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

The obvious answer is to make teachers retained fire fighters, they can park their nee-naw truck in the playground and in between shouts they can teach.
Sorted......
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am Are they not? They have had the desired affect. The ball is in the govs court to end it

Its cost more in strike losses than the payrise would have cost

Poor management from the Tories. As always.
The desired effect is surely to get what you are striking for.

Cost who? The big losers will be small business and ordinary people. At least you are admitting it's about a pay rise in the main.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 am The desired effect is surely to get what you are striking for.

Cost who? The big losers will be small business and ordinary people. At least you are admitting it's about a pay rise in the main.
strikes arent instantly resolved .

the fact they have got the public on side and made a point.
SammyLeeWasOffside

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am I find the lack of empathy and acknowledgment for teachers choosing to go without a day’s pay to highlight the systemic issues that is bringing our education system to its knees quite staggering.
This is surely in part down to the overwhelming message coming out if the various strikes about being paid more.

If the strikes are about conditions and the system it would be better to leave pay out of it. People looking from the outside tend to not see past 'i want a pay rise'.