Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

The longer I go without a beer the easier i find it. Deffo cained it over Christmas and early NY. Not really drunk that much since. Still got a shitload of beer left over from Christmas (I drank a lot of fizz!)

I'm definitely trying to cut back. Mostly because of the waistline, and I love to run. I feel like if i could lose half a stone I could get back to running times of 3-4 years ago.

My other issue though is things like chocolate and crisps. I have a sweet tooth so it's a nightmare trying to keep a handle on it all. If i didn't run I think I'd be about 16 stone! (I'm 5ft 9 for context)
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

It’s a tangent but I’m a new vegetarian and only pretty much eat healthy food. Even full fat crisps don’t agree with me anymore. I’ve no desire to go back to my old diet because I feel so much better.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Go Vegan Jim - you'll feel even better :)
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

The theory in the Recovery community is that people who cannot stop drinking (or using) once they start are a completely different entity to 'normal' people who can drink and then stop with impunity.

The idea being that the alcoholic or the addict is physically 'allergic' to drink or drugs...

An allergic reaction being an 'abnormal'reaction to a substance. In this case, the manifestation of the phenomenon of craving. A craving so powerful it would crowd out all other thoughts and become an obsession . Once that happens, all bets are off.

It just doesn't happen to normal people. Which is why total abstinence is key for an addict or alcoholic.

One is too many and a million never enough..

As a self confessed addict, I can wholeheartedly endorse that view. It accounts for a multitude of things I could never understand or account for. A cheeky half leading to being up all night every single time followed by f*cking bitter bewilderment and incomprehensible demoralisation for the most part..

If you can drink and use with impunity or stay stopped whenever you want to - then all power to you baby.

If you can't stop or can't stay stopped when you truly want to, get yourself to a CA meeting (nice younger sexier crowd than AA😘)

Night people..God Bless.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Really interesting, Sticky. Thanks for posting that. :newthumb:
It could well be true of all addictions.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Sticky wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 pm The theory in the Recovery community is that people who cannot stop drinking (or using) once they start are a completely different entity to 'normal' people who can drink and then stop with impunity.

The idea being that the alcoholic or the addict is physically 'allergic' to drink or drugs...
^^^ great post.

Shame of it is that drinking is legal, whereas smoking (certain substances) isn't. Never used to be a heavy drinker, but ended up knocking the weed on the head due to various surrounding issues, so found myself drinking more and more.

If weed had been legal, then most likely would still have been just an occassional drinker (as I don't actually like the feeling I get once past the 'nice buzz' stage), rather than an out and out - "A cheeky half leading to being up all night every single time followed by f*cking bitter bewilderment and incomprehensible demoralisation for the most part.."
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Dry Jan over. Has been a strong motivator to keep off the pop, will be interesting to see how I fare from here. TBH I’m more affected by my wife not drinking, she’s always been a lousy drunk. Hopefully she’ll see my efforts to swerve the drink and try to outdo me.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Thanks for the video, Norse. Very interesting.

Congratulations on your new sober life Sticky, it sounds like you're in a much better place than you were.

Dry Jan done & dusted, had a few cravings but nothing much really. I'm staying on the straight wagon for Feb too. f*** it, what's the worst that can happen?

Good luck everyone.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Samba wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:09 am Really interesting, Sticky. Thanks for posting that. :newthumb:
It could well be true of all addictions.
The second component is slightly deeper and talks about a spiritual malady. A hole in the soul.

I am irritable, restless and discontent - prey to misery and depression on a daily basis - and so of course, I always go back to drinking and using - or if I am not spiritually fit but clean - I start to focus on a toxic relationship, or start to obsess over women, that car, 10 pairs of trainers, having the house, all of which, never ever suffices. The hole in the soul remains.

And so I try to control life even more and start collecting resentments with people, places and things and before you know it - I am gone again.

The key for me has been to establish a spiritual life.

I wake up in the morning and connect with my own conception of a Higher Power (my 'God' has changed 5 times in 3 years - I'm on a Hindu trip at the min) - write a gratitude list, pray, meditate and connect with other addicts.

I take time for myself every single morning to centre my mind and get out of my miserable default setting of waking up in fear and being frightened of life.

That morning routine has saved my life - there is a vastness to the 12 Steps - they have rearranged my thinking, my behaviour and my emotions - I could speak about recovery for days - but ultimately - nothing I seek outside of myself will ever make me feel content.

I have to go within..

Have a good day chaps and God Bless. Whatever the f*ck that is. 🙏🏻🧘‍♂️🕉️💜🕊️
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Nice one Sticky ^^^

That all makes perfect sense. Well worth putting that post in the all - time Kumb Snug Hall of Fame posts.

The truth is out there.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I watched that vid and it appears that the reverse is happening to me.

After 23 days in, I'm still pissing like a horse, not sleeping, eating more than ever, I feel tired all the time,,my body's overall state is "blegh", I'm listless, bored and iritable.

The only factors in my life that agree with what's said in that vid is I'm financially a lot better off and I can focus on stuff, when i really have to.

Another 5 days to go for me then i will probably have a beer.

probably.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Whooo! I made it.
That was a LOT easier than I thought it would be.

Lost a total of 12lbs this month. My diet has also improved and I feel much more awake and energetic than I usually do at this time of year.

Please don't ask me to do some sort of "Fromage-Free February" though, because I can live without beer, but not without cheese. Since I packed in the cigs 6 1/2 years ago, it is definitely cheese that will kill me.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

AnthraxDave wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:11 pm Whooo! I made it.
That was a LOT easier than I thought it would be.

Lost a total of 12lbs this month. My diet has also improved and I feel much more awake and energetic than I usually do at this time of year.

Please don't ask me to do some sort of "Fromage-Free February" though, because I can live without beer, but not without cheese. Since I packed in the cigs 6 1/2 years ago, it is definitely cheese that will kill me.
try these...
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Haven't read the whole thread, but my 2 cents' worth.

As a beer-lover (I have watched virtually every GCRO review on his Youtube channel and delved into excellent foreign beers myself), I too am trying to cut down. I'm a gymgoer and it feels like having beer all the time is contradictory to any progress there. However I don't think it's a good idea to go for a hardcore cut it out approach.

Unless one is literally an alcoholic and can't stop once they start, there's no harm in limiting yourself to a drink at the weekend rather than through the week. Delayed gratification like this is also an excellent thing to have in other areas of your life.

As above, great ways to cut down are spending your time instead exercising the body/mind.

By cutting it back to weekends, I feel like I am still enjoying life but with a bit of clarity midweek.
WHU Independent wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:57 pm
After 23 days in, I'm still pissing like a horse, not sleeping, eating more than ever, I feel tired all the time,,my body's overall state is "blegh"
Have you had a blood test any time recently Indy? I'd urge you to go and get one just so they can check your vitamin/mineral etc levels. These symptoms are a bit worrying and could be indicators of some kind of deficiency, which if sorted, will increase the day to day quality of your life to no end. My missus had similar symptoms re: tiredness, being a vegetarian it unsurprisingly came back with a vit b12 deficiency, and she is now feeling much better.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

WFH today, and if all goes to plan I'll be up the pub shortly after 4.15pm for a pint, they do a lovely Adnams Ghostship so that's first on the list.

A Christmas pressie bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape has been winking at me from the kitchen shelf for the last few weeks, so that's getting demolished along with the takeaway curry (or pizza, it'll be an on-the-spot decision) I pick up on the way home.

Then an unopened bottle of Ardbeg 10 single malt will get a christening and then......well I'll likely doze off on the sofa with loud music playing :asleep:

Yeah, dry January is great and everything and all that well-being stuff is noticeable, but I'm really looking forward to this evening. Cheers! :beers:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Day 400 for me (I like the round numbers) I will celebrate with a Guinness 0.0% .. onwards to 500 days.

Enjoy your post Jan drinks (nothing wrong with 1 or 2) I'm enjoying watching the 'streak' counter go up on my phone for the moment, but maybe one day I'll have a beer (I did/do like a cold one)
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Thanks to whoever brought up the non-alcoholic Guinness. It really is quite good, and is an attractive option when I want the taste of an alcoholic drink but not the effects.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Dry Jan is over but I've bought a few more non-alcoholic beers for weekdays when I just fancy the taste of a beer so some good habits have come of it. I've found a decent local (so Swiss) IPA and a lager that are both pretty close to the real thing.

Others that I tried were generally a little bit too citrous-y in taste for my liking so were more like a lager top than a beer, but generally a big improvement on the old 0% beers of yonder anyway

The M&S 0.5% Czech beer was I tried was pretty good too when I was back over for the Everton game weekend - not quite alcohol free but as near as dammit
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:44 pm Day 400 for me (I like the round numbers)
Just made me go back to my calendar and count my days, which is 566! What a lovely few minutes of self-pride that was!

Well done to everyone who got through their goal of dry January - superb!