Will Still (WHU Related)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Misko
Has liked: 490 likes
Total likes: 1389 likes

Re: Will Still (WHU Related)

Post by Misko »

For me, the epitome of a manager without playing experience would be Houllier rather than Wenger. Wenger had an anecdotal career as a professional player, but still managed to win a French league title with Strasbourg. Houllier barely played at amateur level, but quickly became a player-manager and then manager at a small club in northern France. He also taught English at a business school in Lille. The quality of his management was noticed by a third-tier club in the late 70s, who Houllier led to promotion to the 2nd Division, and they went on to challenge for promotion to the top flight two years in a row.

As for Will Still, I know he is the flavour of the month, the hardest part is yet to come for him. But there is definitely something special about him. When I think of the situation at my own club, backward and seemingly out of touch with modern football, I am jealous of what a young man like Still can do.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

We ultimately need ambitious young new owners and and a younger manager with new ideas.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 am It's all relative though isn't it.

Some here, me included, wanted the Cowley brothers when they could do no wrong.

But In the real world it's just not as simple as that.
Always chuckle when I hear the Cowley Brothers mentioned. No disrespect to them intended but "Cowley Brothers" sounds like it should be on the side of a builder's van, not the name of a football club management team.
The Straw
Has liked: 592 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

I think people who wanted the 'Cowley Brothers' are likely the same kind of people that always want youth team players in the team without actually having seen them play. Or who want us to sign players they hadn't heard of a week or two ago. If you had seen the way that their teams play then you would know that it is entirely agricultural and would be a disaster at the highest level. Now, Still is obviously very wet behind the ears. But when you see what that Reims side was like before he took over to how he has them playing now is very impressive, and it's how I would like to see us play. On the front foot, fearless, with character and also solid at the back. Whether it lasts or not is another thing, but he's shown a lot more in a lot less time that the 'Cowley Brothers'. And at a higher level.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Kermit wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:34 pm Always chuckle when I hear the Cowley Brothers mentioned. No disrespect to them intended but "Cowley Brothers" sounds like it should be on the side of a builder's van, not the name of a football club management team.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I doubt a British club will take the chance until he's got his badges.

It's a huge risk on top of paying a fine for every game he manages.
simon hammer
Has liked: 993 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:49 am without qualification badges.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

(contains swearing)

I absolute love this. It almost comes across like a parody scene from a sketch show but it is utterly brilliant.

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/16 ... 3053946880
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Knew nothing about him until about a month ago saw the highlights against PSG and I thought Reims were superb. If he can maintain that level of football he can go to the top of the game.
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

The Straw wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:44 pm I think people who wanted the 'Cowley Brothers' are likely the same kind of people that always want youth team players in the team without actually having seen them play. Or who want us to sign players they hadn't heard of a week or two ago. If you had seen the way that their teams play then you would know that it is entirely agricultural and would be a disaster at the highest level. Now, Still is obviously very wet behind the ears. But when you see what that Reims side was like before he took over to how he has them playing now is very impressive, and it's how I would like to see us play. On the front foot, fearless, with character and also solid at the back. Whether it lasts or not is another thing, but he's shown a lot more in a lot less time that the 'Cowley Brothers'. And at a higher level.
He's failed since leaving Lincoln. Was terrible at Huddersfield. Still he's constantly had to adapt he's still young we will see him again, because if he doesn't adapt he'll be managing League 2 to Non League for the rest of his days.

League 2 football is abysmal.

I think Still is a different breed given all the talk about him (plus the results he is having) and it's good to see Misko give us his direct input too which further reinforces that.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1096 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Denzil wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 pm (contains swearing)

I absolute love this. It almost comes across like a parody scene from a sketch show but it is utterly brilliant.

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/16 ... 3053946880
😂 Eloquent french monologue for the French speakers and “****ing 3 points on Sunday” for the English. It’s like a Harry and Paul sketch
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 603 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Misko wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:49 pm For me, the epitome of a manager without playing experience would be Houllier rather than Wenger. Wenger had an anecdotal career as a professional player, but still managed to win a French league title with Strasbourg. Houllier barely played at amateur level, but quickly became a player-manager and then manager at a small club in northern France. He also taught English at a business school in Lille. The quality of his management was noticed by a third-tier club in the late 70s, who Houllier led to promotion to the 2nd Division, and they went on to challenge for promotion to the top flight two years in a row.

One of Sullivan's specialities, appointing an old and past it coach(call it experienced if you like),rather than a young forward thinking coach.Will has little experience,but I bet he would have got a lot more out of our team in an attacking sense,than Moyes has this season.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The problem is I feel that people panic way more with an inexperienced manager if they go on a bad run - and he would most certainly go on a bad run at whatever PL club he joined at this stage in his career, let alone us.

Lose 3 games on a spin and he'll be deemed not good enough or a flash in the pan, or he won't have the experience to turn things round (the latter would likely have truth regardless).
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 pm The problem is I feel that people panic way more with an inexperienced manager if they go on a bad run - and he would most certainly go on a bad run at whatever PL club he joined at this stage in his career, let alone us.

Lose 3 games on a spin and he'll be deemed not good enough or a flash in the pan, or he won't have the experience to turn things round (the latter would likely have truth regardless).
#StillOut
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:42 am

Would love us to have a go, but I would be shocked if they took the risk. Real shame, be nice to be fun.
not specifically with respect to us, but have Jack and/or Callum done anything in a review or that on Still ???

just in general because I know that they do/have done a lot of stuff with up and coming managers from their podcasts

cheers
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:46 pm not specifically with respect to us, but have Jack and/or Callum done anything in a review or that on Still ???

just in general because I know that they do/have done a lot of stuff with up and coming managers from their podcasts

cheers
I think they may have on their site. I also see Jack has got on about Russell Martin, who I mentioned when discussing new managers back in November. You can’t get these kids to listen…
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Never heard of the bloke but I am outraged, no FUMING, that he's not our manager.

What the f*** are the board thinking? c****.

My blood is boiling.

Will In! Still In!
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

He managed a team called Beerschot.

That's enough reason to get him
LittleChris
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by LittleChris »

Big lad isn't he ! Think he'd get the players attention more than Moyes seems to with a pre-match talk :grin:

Was in Reims last year and walked past their stadium which is next to the Marne Canal. Nice city but can be very hot in the summer as can the whole Champagne region.
The Straw
Has liked: 592 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

Reims have quite an interesting history. In the 1950's they got to two European Cup finals (losing to that Real Madrid side that won 5 in a row) and during that time produced a lot of legendary French internationals - the France side of 1958 got to the semis of the world cup with them.

Then it seems to have all gone bandy in the 80's.

Not really relevant to Will Still but interesting nonetheless. And perhaps a bit relatable.