⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:22 pm Intercepting and moving it on. For some reason you don’t want to give the guy credit. It’s weird as he was not nearly as bad at the back as Dawson this season.
He did ok tonight. He’s not for me though. I can’t have a centre half that can’t play in a four.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Front 3 were all useless tonight I thought. Didn’t offer us much on the counter attack.

I’m not having a go at Benrahma but we simply need a pacier option on that left side in this formation to break with speed and stun the opposition.

Speaking of which, is Cornet alive or dead these days?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Paolopaul wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 pm

Newcastle are also the kings of the little push before the ball arrives. Ref failed to spot that throughout.

dont worry coufal returned the compliment & sent 2 of them into a tail spin 2nd half. , was glorious to see
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Rust wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:45 pm Yeah Chelsea at home has become a lot more interesting after this weekend! We should probably win...
Don’t jinx it. It all depends on which combination of his 300 squad members he chooses to use!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Played West Ham.

Would have been so easy to completely jack it in after that start.....and to let all the negative thoughts engulf their football.....they didn't.

Showed balls today......mental balls...👏
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Respect the point and all that b*ll*cks but I wanted Ings on at 60 mins with Mic playing LF in place of Benrahma.

Wouldn't have minded going to a back four at HT if Kehrer had to come off, too, but wouldn't have wanted to nullify the attacking impact of the constantly improving Emerson.

A bold manager would have gone Ings for Benrahma and Downes or Fornals for Kehrer.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

WCpete wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:39 pm I think the only performance below a 7 was Benrahma's, and while he didn't play his best it wasn't from the lack of effort. When the team can produce 7/10 across the board, good things will happen. Strength to strength. Bring on Chelsea.
I agree with you. There was that moment near half time, I think it was , when he received the ball out on the left and he did everything right, he moved inside Trippier, sold him, then took another touch and screwd a weak effort wide. The commentator called it right, he should've, at least have made Pope work to keep it out
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

ballantine wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:43 pm Decades from now, I will constantly be telling my grandchildren about that bit of defending from Aguerd. And they will roll their eyes at each other, but I will be right.

Good point, too!
Brilliant tackle,Sir Bobby would have stood and applauded that I'm sure
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Paolopaul wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 pm

Newcastle are also the kings of the little push before the ball arrives.
Still way behind Man City and Liverpool for this sort of behaviour I'm afraid. Arsenal not too far behind.
It would appear you cannot be successful these days without entering into the dark arts.
Breaking up the opposition play with slight nudges and kicks is as important in modern day play as creating your own chances.
It's a way of conning gullible referees and they've been getting away with it for ages.
mushy

Post by mushy »

RaddyKovac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:50 pm

A bold manager would have gone Ings for Benrahma and Downes or Fornals for Kehrer.
And lost.
mushy

Post by mushy »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:47 pm Front 3 were all useless tonight I thought.
**** in yer hat and punch it.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

people giving aguerd MOTM are desenitised to how good rice is. aguerd was imperious, but rice was somehow a level above that. his best game this season by a stretch.

i said it before, he doesn't tackle, he extracts. without a hint of hyperbole, he's world class.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

mushy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:56 pm **** in yer hat and punch it.
They were. Lost the ball every time we broke and got beyond the halfway line.

It’s irritating as with a bit of quality and control up top, we’d have come away with 3 points.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:58 pm people giving aguerd MOTM are desenitised to how good rice is. aguerd was imperious, but rice was somehow a level above that. his best game this season by a stretch.

i said it before, he doesn't tackle, he extracts. without a hint of hyperbole, he's world class.
Yep, he was a ridiculous tonight. Performances like that makes me think “Christ how on earth are we replacing that”.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

mushy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 pmAnd lost.
Why?

Our back three was already compromised, Downes is a DM so would supplement the defence, and Benrahma had a game full of brainfarts.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:47 pm Front 3 were all useless tonight I thought. Didn’t offer us much on the counter attack.

I’m not having a go at Benrahma but we simply need a pacier option on that left side in this formation to break with speed and stun the opposition.

Speaking of which, is Cornet alive or dead these days?
Useless is harsh. We were playing against a team who hadn’t conceded in nine hours of league football. The movement and effort was there. Just a bit of class and composure missing.

Cornet is backing in training but meant to be a few weeks away from being fit to play.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:58 pm people giving aguerd MOTM are desenitised to how good rice is. aguerd was imperious, but rice was somehow a level above that. his best game this season by a stretch.

Yep Rice allows us to play 3 CBs because he does the job of 2 men in midfield
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Terrible start, great comeback and fully deserving of a point.

The defence was very good, Aguerd different level. Emerson is shining as a wing back. The whole back 5, both halves, did well.

We kept Almiron pretty quiet didn’t we.

Paqueta, like the team, recovered well from the errors leading to their goal and had one of his better games. Rice had a good game too.

Benrahma had one of those games that justifies some of the criticism that gets levelled at him, not a lot came off, and as for Antonio… the blokes playing like he knows he’s purely filling in for Ings and Scamacca, had a very poor game
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

For those who can't be arsed to sift through the entire match thread, as we mods have to, here's some highlights from the first half.

wolf359 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:33 pmWe are sodding terrible. But keep the manager, be alright soon.
West Ham Matt wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:33 pmThis is tragic. I told you lot
Paolopaul wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:34 pmIf they don’t want to play don’t go out on the pitch. You could see it in the warm up.
Lomas wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:36 pmNewcastle 1 up Its all over... GAME OVER!!! Moyes OUT!!! Good Night 13 defeats in 21 games now
steps wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:42 pmThis team looks shot to bits.
Lovejoy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:44 pmLike I said paqueta in that role in this league with our style doesn’t work.
DannyboyDJL wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:51 pmPaqueta will not work at centre mid in this league. Moyes has no idea how to use him, his interview tells you that much.
S-H wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:53 pmTurns out beating a team managed by Frank Lampard just papers over the cracks somewhat. We won't score. I'm certain of that.
Ironman83 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:54 pmStill amazes me to think anyone thought we had turned any sort of corner just from beating that Everton side. :lol:
jabbaglob123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:54 pmWe seem to have reverted to our usual **** type. The green shoots have disappeared. Concerning.
West Ham Matt wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:55 pmWhat green shoots ?
nickkarkie wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 pmMost on here need to wake up to what has even unfolding before their eyes for 14 months now, nostalgia doesn't win football matches
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Fully agree. Rice was the clear MOM. Back foot, front foot, managing the team, that was as good a performance from him as he's ever given us.