⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Vic_Watson »

WCpete wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:07 pm Someone said it earlier. The Moroccan Moore.
Let's not get carried away, Nayef conceded a corner, Bobby would have come away with the ball.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:29 pm Let's not get carried away, Nayef conceded a corner, Bobby would have come away with the ball.
'Pards' would've fined him for going to ground.
ballantine
Has liked: 1310 likes
Total likes: 234 likes

Post by ballantine »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:05 pm For those who can't be arsed to sift through the entire match thread, as we mods have to, here's some highlights from the first half.
TBF, I often truly believe we are the best and the worst team in the world within a ten minutes sequence of a match. Calm, reasonable analysis are usually for a time (well) after 90 minutes. I think any fan should be given some leeway for their heat of the moment-comments during a match.
Hamburger
Has liked: 862 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I thought it was an encouraging performance but the possible injuries a big issue. Aguerd and Rice different class.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3032 likes
Total likes: 2679 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm It isn’t a few sequences, you have eyes you can see that he takes to many touches at times which makes obviously playing that deep is gonna cause us problems. I have no problem though admitting he done some really good things after that.
I've been watching and covering football for over 25 years and come to the conclusion that there is no perfect formation.

But I think that we found ways during most of the ninety minutes today to look like a team that is hard to beat and looked as good as one of the best teams of the league right now away at their place. Despite playing with a partnership in midfield that has played only a few games together in that formation. Growing pains? I'm fine with that.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm Doesn't that apply to all of our centre-halves?
In Zouma and Oggy’s case, I wince when they take a step.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3032 likes
Total likes: 2679 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:24 pm Newcastle were suffering from a Semi-Final hangover, Chelsea is the real litmus test.

Chelsea are struggling under Potter, Tottenham is the real litmus test.

Etc.
JORDAN HUGILL!!! :cried:
Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:24 pm Newcastle were suffering from a Semi-Final hangover, Chelsea is the real litmus test.

Chelsea are struggling under Potter, Tottenham is the real litmus test.

Etc.
I think we know that the next game we lose will turn out to be the real litmus test.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:29 pm Let's not get carried away, Nayef conceded a corner, Bobby would have come away with the ball.
That is true. And it was Callum Wilson rather than Jairzinho. Nevertheless, Nathan had himself a moment there.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by woodywoody »

I think we played as well as can be expected and all the team put a shift in. I think the problem is that the team rebuilding hasn't been planned out so well from last years down turn from 2nd half of last season, the funds have been put up but the right areas were not addressed combined with a negative playing style at times from Moyes. we now have a possible 4 defensive midfielders who all deserve a game and more midfielders who are put out on the wings (not horses for courses) because we don't often take on other teams with pace (Moysie way).
I prey Moyes has found the answer but won't hold my breath and hope to be proved wrong. one of many bugs why has took half a season just to realize Emerson should start games as left back, when fans have been saying for 2 years what was needed.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:05 pm For those who can't be arsed to sift through the entire match thread, as we mods have to, here's some highlights from the first half.
I stand by my one UTJ, Newcastle looked up for the game beforehand and we looked like we didn’t want to be there. It didn’t surprise me we were caught cold.

However, all credit to the players for turning it around and growing into the game. I wasn’t expecting that but was very pleased to see it, shows they are still playing for the manager.

It’s been a tough season and emotions run high, think this place is as good as any to release a little steam.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Because you never posted a daft comment right? :thdn:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4728 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

woodywoody wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 pm I think we played as well as can be expected and all the team put a shift in. I think the problem is that the team rebuilding hasn't been planned out so well from last years down turn from 2nd half of last season, the funds have been put up but the right areas were not addressed combined with a negative playing style at times from Moyes. we now have a possible 4 defensive midfielders who all deserve a game and more midfielders who are put out on the wings (not horses for courses) because we don't often take on other teams with pace (Moysie way).
I prey Moyes has found the answer but won't hold my breath and hope to be proved wrong. one of many bugs why has took half a season just to realize Emerson should start games as left back, when fans have been saying for 2 years what was needed.
I presume he didn't want Emerson starting without Aguerd behind him
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:29 pm I presume he didn't want Emerson starting without Aguerd behind him
Really good point. Emerson looks a far better player as a wing back next to Aguerd.
The Straw
Has liked: 588 likes
Total likes: 1419 likes

Post by The Straw »

Thought Aguerd's free header was worth a showing on MOTD. Just to bump up our highlights!! Do worry about Aguerd's ankles but that's coming from a paranoia around my own (Sunday League) career being ruined by weak ankles :crylol:
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with player ratings or how each one did?

Thank you
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 681 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Shabu wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 pm Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with player ratings or how each one did?

Thank you
Easy 9/10 for everyone except Benni who was 8/10.
Don’t use the ratings on that other site, they must have watched a different game.
Aguerd was official motm, although Dec and Pac were also in the top three. No barcode made top three.
Edit: I can be a little bias after my smarties.
😉
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1520 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm It isn’t a few sequences, you have eyes you can see that he takes to many touches at times which makes obviously playing that deep is gonna cause us problems. I have no problem though admitting he done some really good things after that.
Spot on. Brilliant player in him but he needs to learn when and more importantly when not to play. Got dispossessed on a few occasions because he took too many touches.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Fabianski 6
Coufal 8
Kehrer 6
Ogbonna 7
Augerd 9
Emerson 8
Rice 9
Paqueta 8
Bowen 7
Antonio 7
Benrahma 6

Johnson 8
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Fabianski 7
Coufal 8
Kehrer 6
Ogbonna 7
Aguerd 9
Emerson 7
Rice 9 - MotM
Paqueta 8