Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by wolf359 »

Whitters wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:02 pm The M&S 0.5% Czech beer was I tried was pretty good too when I was back over for the Everton game weekend - not quite alcohol free but as near as dammit
0.5% is often classed a alcohol free. It is impossible to get drunk or even effected by something that low. Banana often contain more. So unless you want zero (which is pretty much impossible) go nuts.

https://zerozilchzip.co.uk/blogs/news/i ... cohol-free
Pete647580
Has liked: 1213 likes
Total likes: 584 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Bit tangential, but I wanted to say thanks to whoever it was on here (can't find the post) who suggested putting a big red cross on the calendar for every day you don't have a drink - the aim being to keep the 'chain' going.

I've started doing it with exercise and it's worked an absolute treat. Managed to do something on 10 out of the last 11 days. Previously I would struggle to do twice a week.

No idea why putting red crosses on a calendar has worked so well, but it's been an absolute game changer for me.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Had 5 pints in the pub after work last night. First alcohol since 9pm on New Years Eve. Man, am I regretting it today.

Just one of them things with me, sadly. I can go weeks without but, when I start, I drink to absolute excess. Then wake up in the morning and hate myself. Does that mean I am an alcoholic? I could easily go dry again for the rest of this month.

The thing that made me realise this was actually taking my Dogs for a walk this morning. I'm quite socially awkward/nervous at the best of times, but spent loads of time chatting with other Dog walkers in January. Today, I didn't want to speak to anyone in the park in case they could tell I was hungover.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Alcoholism is a term used to describe the most serious form of problem drinking at a level that causes harm to your health. It describes a strong, often uncontrollable, desire to drink.

That’s a quote pulled from drinkaware.co.uk

So, not likely an alcoholic mate but it sounds like your relationship with alcohol is unhealthy if you’re feeling the way you are about drinking.

Count yourself lucky to some degree that you can stop dude.

I’m conscious to not come across as a holier than thou type as I was on the very wrong of drink for more than two decades, but yup; if you’re feeling guilty, bad, annoyed etc - it’s certainly something you might want to explore.
Has liked: 4524 likes
Total likes: 1529 likes

Post by Sticky »

AnthraxDave wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:35 pm I can go weeks without but, when I start, I drink to absolute excess. Then wake up in the morning and hate myself. Does that mean I am an alcoholic? I could easily go dry again for the rest of this month.
The question is my brother - when you earnestly find you want to stop drinking and find you can't or if you cannot STAY stopped then you might be an alcoholic..only you can diagnose yourself.

If you start a 12 Step program - they will give you a Big Blue book to go thru with a sponsor..there is a chapter in there called 'The Drs opinion's - that single chapter helped me to surrender to the truth - that I am an addict. I fought that battle on my own for 20 years.

You may be just a heavy drinker (someone who can stop when presented with consequences or health concerns) - but if you cannot stop once you start, you might well be
If you have concerns - get yourself to an AA or a CA meeting - (my preference - you get cuddles there) and open your ears. You might hear something that resonates.

The good news is that surrendering to being an addict was the most revolutionary thing I have ever done. My life has sky rocketed since and this evening I sat in a meeting and listened to one sponsee share his story for 20 mins (he is over 1 year clean and sober) and had two other sponsees sat beside me - one who was 9 months and another who is over a year now. I just showed them what my sponsor showed me..the program 100% works when you have truly been broken enough.

If you are an addict/alcoholic - then you will come to realise that drink and drugs are not the problem - abd a whole new dimension of contentment peace and self understanding is on offer.

Love that this forum has this kinda element too alongside the football. Powerful stuff.

Good luck in your journey my friend..happy to chat if you want - just drop me a message x
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Thanks both. Much appreciated.
It is my Dad's Birthday next weekend, so the whole family are going for a meal and a few drinks. I think after that, I will knock the drinking on the head until at least Easter.

I actually really enjoyed my sober weekends in January. Far more than I thought I would.

Post by Sticky »

AnthraxDave wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:10 pm Thanks both. Much appreciated.
It is my Dad's Birthday next weekend, so the whole family are going for a meal and a few drinks. I think after that, I will knock the drinking on the head until at least Easter.

I actually really enjoyed my sober weekends in January. Far more than I thought I would.
The novelty of waking up early on a Saturday and Sunday has still not worn off after 3 years. Feels like I've been granted an extra two days a week to get sh*t done.

F*ck having a hungover or being on a massive come down post 40. That's gotta be soul destroying, it was hard enough when I was a young man. I don't think I'd cope.

'Margery get the gun, I'm going to tackle this existential crisis once and for all'.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Can’t believe how much better I’m sleeping this year, partially from the exercise but must be mostly from the lack of booze. I’m averaging 9h 10m per night, and not having to get up for a piss. Lovely stuff.

Post by Sticky »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:39 pm Can’t believe how much better I’m sleeping this year, partially from the exercise but must be mostly from the lack of booze. I’m averaging 9h 10m per night, and not having to get up for a piss. Lovely stuff.
'Lovely stuff' - you do make laugh mate.
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

My Saturdays in January were spent playing and painting Warhammer at the local club, and having chats with the others there. Really enjoyed it. Would never have done that if I was hungover. It is considered sad/nerdy, but I don't care.

I'm going to turn the Social Media off again. Didn't miss it at all in January. I logged back in yesterday at realised why I had taken a break in the first place.

Post by Sticky »

Ah mate. Amen to that. I have had any socials for 4 years I don't think and don't miss it one bit.

Vacuous sh*t designed to turn people into narcissists who compare fantasy lives.

If more people posted up pics of themselves crying cos they can't afford the council tax bill instead of pics of their moody relationship photos when everyone knows that love died years ago - and I might be tempted back..

Until such a time, I'll probably keep reading books or whatever. Each to their own. 😅
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

I’m child free this weekend, in the past I’d have had a drink (or three) ate some crap and gone to bed in the early hours last night, getting up very late morning, feeling a bit crap and doing nothing.

Instead I was up at 645 (was in bed by 1030 last night) and was out the house by 730 walked almost 20km (19.3km to be exact). Not drinking, eating better and sleeping well has such a positive effect (not a surprise really).
Last edited by wolf359 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil.C
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Neil.C »

I used to love a drink, still would to be honest.

However I was told by the Doc that I had a borderline fatty liver which scared me into quitting about 6 years ago.

Stayed away from the booze ever since.

It's not easy chucking a habit like that but I managed it.
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Still going strong - got a beer planned for the game this Saturday, half don't want to do it though seeing as good as I feel having not drunk for 5 weeks.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2650 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:39 pmand not having to get up for a piss.
You are dead to me.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:39 pmand not having to get up for a piss.
You are dead to me.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 482 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:16 am You are dead to me.
would you forgive him if he told you that he slept with his arms crossed?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm would you forgive him if he told you that he slept with his arms crossed?
No, it would simply confirm that removing him from the circle of trust is the right thing to do.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 482 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:25 pm No, it would simply confirm that removing him from the circle of trust is the right thing to do.
I bet you won't be saying that come summer, when you can't get your burgers right and need some advice about the barbque.. :grin:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

EvilC wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:16 am You are dead to me.
I’ve paid my dues, and have definitely earned the right to an unpissy night’s kip, even if it does mean sacrificing the grog.