Bobby Moore...Better than you think.

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: Bobby Moore...Better than you think.

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Moore's reading of the game and of the immediate situation was unparalleled then, now and all times in between. Watch the video above again. He gets so many 'easy' interceptions because he knew where the ball was going. Watch him when he isn't the first defender. He's going to where the ball will break after the first tackle, or where the attacker will be after he's got past the first defender. When he's backing off as a attacker runs at him he bides his time and when he senses a slight advantage his foot flashes in like a snake striking and takes the ball.

edited to correct 'defender' to 'attacker'
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 604 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

You see Bobby up against the World's very best eg Pele,Eusebio and Gerd Muller and he took the ball off them time and time again.Muller(many say Germany's greatest striker ever) didn't hardly touch the ball according to the commentary has Moore just kept winning it.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 pm For those that didn't see him play 'live' I can understand the skepticism and it was a long while ago. However, I consider myself privileged to have seen him many times in the flesh and without a doubt he is one of the best footballers I have ever seen. Believe the hype, he was that good.
Correct. He had an "aura" about him anywhere - on the pitch and off.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

It was a shame he never had a decent defensive partner to play with. He was playing with Alan stephenson or john cushley when I first saw him (68-69) Billy Bonds and John Charles were the FB. Charles was soon superseded by a young frank snr. and Bonds moved into midfield
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

How many players did he play alongside at centre back during his West Ham career ?
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

In 1972 I was 11 years old. I couldn't believe it when I came home from playing football and my mother told me to get washed up.as my older brother's mother in law was taking me up from Southend to see West Ham play Coventry.

Fifty years later I can still recall the excitement of going to Upton Park. My dream was to see Bobby Moore play. Anyway, West Ham won 1-0 and I believe the vast majority of the game my sole focus was watching Bobby Moore. He always played with such poise and elegance and read the game superbly. I find it hard to believe there was any supporter in the land who did not admire Bobby.

I remember reading a Jimmy Greaves biography were he said the only player Bill Nicholson ever told him to mark was Bobby Moore. Nicholson was aware of Bobby's long range passing accuracy - like when he played Geoff Hurst in for England's 4th goal agai St West Germany in 1966. That image of Greavsie being told to mark Bobby Moore has never left me.

Bobby was treated appallingly by football after he retired. I was fortune to speak with the great game several times when he briefly managed my home town team Southend. He was friendly, modest and a true gentleman.

In all the years I've been watching football he's the greatest defender these shores have ever produced.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Tezza65 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 pm Sorry mate,has much as I love Dec,he couldn't lace Bobby's boots.

The nearest to Bobby,was Rio,but he could never pass the ball like Mooro.Actually he passed the ball better than a lot of midfielders in his day and of today.
100% agree, Bobby was at a different level, his passing was simply brilliant. I can remember going to Highbury to watch us get 0¬ 0 draw, it was attack v defence and Bobby WAS the defence,his passing as usual superb and most of our attacks stemmed from him, my Charlton mate who came with me just couldnt believe how good he was.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

goa127 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:48 am It was a shame he never had a decent defensive partner to play with. He was playing with Alan stephenson or john cushley when I first saw him (68-69) Billy Bonds and John Charles were the FB. Charles was soon superseded by a young frank snr. and Bonds moved into midfield
Tommy Taylor wasn't too bad
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:41 pm Tommy Taylor wasn't too bad
Not too good either. Tommy had talent, but a bit lacking on the application side. I always remember him laughing as he scored an own goal
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Nice photo of Bobby & his Mrs.

WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Brilliant video so far. I couldn't help chuckle though when the barely audible (possibly) 'Arry said (paraphrasing) 'the amazing thing is that when he made his tackles he never left his feet', and the next 4 tackles on screen Sir Bob left his feet on all of them.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:49 pm He's rightly lauded for his tackling, interceptions and all-round positional play.

But look at how he brings the ball out, and how many attacks he sets up. Including a goal that won the world cup...
I had seen Geoff Hurst score that goal I don't know how many times for West Ham
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I really wanted to watch this video, but got a few minutes in, and had to turn it off. The music on it was doing my nut in.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1225 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Still gives me goosebumps remembering I saw him and his fellow ‘icons’ playing live.
And who can forget ‘THAT’ tackle against Brazil in 1970!
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Shabu wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:25 pm Nice photo of Bobby & his Mrs.

That photo had quite an effect on a young 13 year old supporter, if I recall..........
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 pm For those that didn't see him play 'live' I can understand the skepticism and it was a long while ago. However, I consider myself privileged to have seen him many times in the flesh and without a doubt he is one of the best footballers I have ever seen. Believe the hype, he was that good.
Ditto 👏👏
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Dad told me that I saw BM, and other legends like Best and Charlton when he took me as a kid, but I just don't remember and couldn't have appreciated it. Legends are born out of history I guess. Good video!
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

dettles
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by dettles »

People comparing Declan Rice to Bobby Moore, my word.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1226 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Mooro, the best defender I’ve ever seen. Pele is the best player overall. :crest: