The Doctor is (Back) In: The Frasier Reboot

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1650 likes

The Doctor is (Back) In: The Frasier Reboot

Post by last.caress »

So, filming began on the new season of Frasier last week. What do we know so far (given that any/all information could be subject to change or of course be a load of old b*llocks to begin with)?

THE PRODUCTION

-It's still called Frasier, it's being produced for the Paramount+ streaming platform, it's running for ten episodes as is more typical for premium channels, and it's being written by Chris Harris and Joe Cristalli. Harris wrote extensively for Late Show With David Letterman and wrote a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Joe Cristalli wrote for Life in Pieces with which I'm unfamiliar but it ran for four seasons and nearly 80 episodes on CBS so it did okay. It's going to be a multi-camera show filmed largely in a studio with an audience, so it'll have the look of a traditional sitcom like Frasier or Cheers or, more recently, The Big Bang Theory, as opposed to the more typically 21st century preference for single-camera shows shot on a location in a more cinematic style, like Modern Family or Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Arrested Development.

-The first two episodes will be directed by James Burrows, the 82year-old director and co-creator of Cheers, who also directed several early episodes of Frasier, including first episode "The Good Son" back in 1993 (the first episode of this new reboot is entitled "The Good Father" in a direct nod to that episode, and as an acknowledgment of Frasier's shift in circumstances from that episode to this).

-It's going to be set in Boston which is of course where Cheers was set too.

This choice runs contrary to the decision to set Frasier in Seattle, WA, which was made in order to place him as far away from Boston as possible so's the show wouldn't be beset by necessity with appearances of the other Cheers characters. So, will Frasier grab a cold one in the bar where everybody knows your name once more? My personal opinion is: Unlikely, leading to them maybe having to write in a reason why Frasier's not hanging out with his old buddies now he's back in Boston. Perhaps Sam has retired, sold the bar and now it's simply not there anymore? Bars are on the wane everywhere, so it's more than reasonable. That's just imho though. I'd love to be wrong and to see an episode where he says hi to Cheers once more.

-An official air date has not been confirmed as yet; the general consensus seems to be that it'll reach our tellies some time in late 2023, although I've seen reports guessing as early as July this year and yet others guessing into early 2024.

THE CONFIRMED CAST

(character biogs in italics are verbatim statements from Paramount's press releases)

Dr. Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammer)
“Frasier is off to a different city with new challenges to face, new relationships to forge, and an old dream or two to finally fulfill.”

Frasier is of course played by Kelsey Grammer, the driving force behind this revival and the only returning member of the classic principal cast. He was quoted at one time as saying that he wouldn't want to return to the character without the other Frasier principals but he's clearly changed tack there. He also said back in 2021 iirc that, in a rebooted Frasier, Frasier would be "...rich beyond his wildest dreams", although that doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me as a particularly intriguing new development; Frasier Crane was already well-off enough that his finances proved to be no object to his week-to-week exploits and adventures. Maybe they've abandoned that premise by now, at least as a driving characteristic.

Freddy Crane, Frasier's son (Jack Cutmore-Scott)
“Freddy is a nuanced combination of his father and grandfather. Years ago, Freddy rejected following in his father’s footsteps—dropping out of college to become a fireman—and he’s never looked back until now, when recent troubles have left him with no one to turn to in his life. If they can overcome past differences, Freddy and Frasier might finally have a chance to repair old wounds.”

Frederick was played throughout most of Frasier's run by Trevor Einhorn and, given that Mr. Einhorn has carved out a modest acting career for himself, it was long felt that he might reprise his role in the event of a revival. Still, the part has instead been recast and will be played by Londoner Jack Cutmore-Scott, who has had roles in Kingsman: The Secret Service (Vaughn, 2014) and Tenet (Nolan, 2020).

Alan Cornwall, university professor and Frasiers old college friend (Nicholas Lyndhurst)
“British, boozy and larger than life, Alan has an intellect on par with Frasier’s — if only he ever felt like using it. Alan’s mischievous streak might be just what Frasier could use to shake up his routine, while Frasier’s thoughtful guidance might help Alan find some of the direction he’s been missing in his own life.”

Nicholas Lyndhurst's sitcom credentials are of course beyond reproach. He was already a household name on this side of The Pond thanks to his involvement in Butterflies and of course in Only Fools and Horses before Frasier Crane had ever entered the bar in Cheers. Kelsey and Nicholas worked together in 2019 on the London stage performing Man of La Mancha, where Grammer said of his co-star: "I fell in love. I adore him and he's one of the funniest people I've ever worked with, and I accuse him of being a bit of a sandbagger because you don't see him coming and all of a sudden he's getting all the laughs."

Olivia, head of the psych department at an Ivy League university (Toks Olagundoye)
"Olivia projects confidence, warmth, and professionalism—in other words, the opposite of how completely unglued she feels on the inside. Olivia must contend daily with her colleague Alan, who resents Olivia’s seniority over him. The two of them disagree on just about everything, but they both admire Frasier—and each hopes to use him to further their own aims."

I'm unfamiliar with Toks Olagundoye who'll be playing Olivia, but a quick Wiki-up shows that she's worked solidly on US TV and in voice roles on animated shows right through the last decade. Her most prominent role appears to have been in a 2012 show called The Neighbors.

Eve, Freddy's Roommate (Jess Salgueiro)
“Eve is spontaneous, outgoing and bursting with creative energy – whether it was asked for or not. She is a breath of fresh air. With an innate ability to connect with both Frasier and Freddy, Eve is a critical bridge between father and son as they attempt to reconcile.”

Jess Salgueiro is best known to me in her brief but indelible role as Hughie's girlfriend Robin in The Boys, accidentally killed in typically splashy fashion in the very first scene of the very first episode. Watch where you're going, A-Train!

David Crane, Frasier's nephew (Anders Keith)
"An awkward college freshman with a penchant for off-kilter observations, Frasier’s nephew David has Niles’ intelligence, Daphne’s smile, and neither of their polish. David’s unearned confidence may confuse some, but Frasier has a fondness for his nephew’s earnest enthusiasm."

Anders Keith is fresh out of Juilliard so this is his first significant role. The character of David Crane was introduced in the final episode of Frasier when Daphne gave birth to him on a veterinary table, and he was named in honour of Frasier co-creator David Angell, who was killed in the 9/11 atrocity.

SO WHERE'S THE LEGACY CAST?

-David Hyde-Pierce (Niles Crane) was definitely approached regarding the new show but, according to Kelsey Grammer, wasn't keen on going back to a prior role. In the years since Frasier ended, Mr. Hyde-Pierce has become a TONY award-winning star on Broadway.

https://screenrant.com/fraiser-reboot-k ... returning/

-Jane Leeves (Daphne Crane) went on record soon after rumours of a Frasier reboot surfaced to state that she would not be quitting her role on Fox medical drama The Resident to return to Frasier.

https://ew.com/tv/the-resident-jane-leeves-interview/

-Peri Gilpin (Roz Doyle) teased the possibility of a Frasier reboot a few years ago but, besides that and Kelsey Grammer's ultimately fruitless contention that a reboot wouldn't happen without the classic cast, I can't find any indication that Peri Gilpin has considered or been considered for a return to her role as Roz. Tbh, with no familial tie to the main character, Roz was always the least likely of Frasier's principals to move with Frasier to the new show.

-John Mahoney (Martin Crane) of course very sadly passed away three years ago (almost to the day), aged 77. He was 53 when Frasier first aired, although he was playing Martin eight years older, at 61. Kelsey Grammer, who was 37 back at the start of Frasier, was also playing his character slightly older with Frasier being 41 so, if he's aged in real time, Frasier will be 71 now, the same age Martin would probably have been by the end of Frasier (it's uncertain though exactly what age Dr. Crane will be on the new show). Kelsey Grammer has stated that John Mahoney's passing will be honoured in the new show, presumably by Martin Crane's passing being either a key plot point in the first episode or, at the very least, acknowledged and addressed.

I would imagine that guest appearances for all of the surviving classic principal cast (plus for Bebe Neuwirth who played Frasier's ex-wife and Freddy's mother Lilith Sternin in both Cheers and Frasier) are still possible; likely even, given the characters of Freddy and David Crane are going to be prominent.

So! Anyone looking forward to it? Dreading it? Couldn't give a tin **** either way? I'm listening...
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Re: The Doctor is (Back) In: The Frasier Reboot

Post by Korea Hammer »

Sorry, Elsie, I'm probably in the third group.

I can't say I've never watched it, nor that it has never raised a chuckle - I always found the character of Niles quite amusing - but overall, I've always been a bit mystified as to what people see in Frasier. For the most part, it just seems a bit ho-hum and middle of the road, and occasionally it's outright mawkish and embarrassing. Anything involving Daphne, in particular.

Anyway, I hope the return is up to scratch for the sake of the many who do enjoy it. But I must say it doesn't look like a good idea from here.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

put me in the third category also.

towards the end when Daphne and Niles got married and the British family were in it, the show completely lost it's way imvho.

plus

Niles was absolutely a brilliant character in the show, and Marty was very understated in his role as Frasier's dad. again imvho. Roz also had many moments and the staff at the station had some funny characters too.

I'd rather remember the earlier series and leave it at that.

I have the series and inevitably put one or two on at ad hoc times, and I'm getting toward the ending series.

I can't remember exactly which one it was when they started to go downhill, maybe up to and including the build up to the wedding and afterward but I smile a little here and there, but earlier there were really, for me at least, loads of actual laugh out loud moments in each and every show early doors...
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Most importantly, Kelsey Grammer has recently bought a house in Portishead, where his wife comes from, and he apparently visits Bristol quite often, so I'll let you know if I bump into him.

As for the show, I don't usually think that reviving old sitcoms works, but since it's on Paramount+ I won't have the chance to find out anyway.
OFT
Has liked: 3232 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Post by OFT »

Korea Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:21 pm Sorry, Elsie, I'm probably in the third group.

I can't say I've never watched it, nor that it has never raised a chuckle - I always found the character of Niles quite amusing - but overall, I've always been a bit mystified as to what people see in Frasier. For the most part, it just seems a bit ho-hum and middle of the road, and occasionally it's outright mawkish and embarrassing. Anything involving Daphne, in particular.

Anyway, I hope the return is up to scratch for the sake of the many who do enjoy it. But I must say it doesn't look like a good idea from here.
Wot e said.. in fact, I'm not sure I've even chuckled at the very small amount of it I've seen.

Sorry
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by Rio »

Dreading it.

I adored the original.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1603 likes

Post by alf git »

No thank you.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rio wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:35 pm Dreading it.

I adored the original.
I don’t have Paramount but if I did this is where I’d be at.
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

One of my favourite sit-coms, and definitely my favourite US one. I'm not sure how well it will work without Martin, Roz and especially Niles, but I'll give it a go if I can source it from somewhere as I'm not subscribing to yet another streaming service
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Loved the original, but really fear this will be a fiasco. Having Nicholas Lyndhurst in it is not a good sign, IMHO, and nor is having anyone associated with HIMYM.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2615 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Elsie - your post was an excellent read, and throughout my thought were that I’d fall into all of the categories that you mentioned. However, I would need up in another … ‘Intrigued’.

Frasier is in my opinion the best US comedy out there - one that I can watch on repeat, again and again. So initially, I thought ‘yeah, Frasier again, it’ll be great’, then I read the cast and thought ‘boo! No Niles’ and the I thought ‘but hey, I bet they thought Frasier would be crap after Cheers’, and it wasn’t. And then I read that Nicholas Lyndhurst would be in it and thought ‘boo, it’ll be the Goodnight Sweetheart version of him’ but then thought- actually he was decent in Butterflies and OFAH.

I think I’ll give it a chance - just need to get over the fact that it is not the original.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I was, and still am, a big fan of Frasier first time around and, like Cheers, I will happily dip into the re-runs that are shown on Channel Four. However I am fearful of how this is going to pan out and whilst I will ‘give it a go’, without the other main characters I just don’t see how it will work. All the pre production vibes have been pretty negative too.

On a separate note I read that Fawlty Towers is also coming back 😳
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Frasier is one of my favourite sitcoms of all time, and definitely my favourite US-style one
I have watched most episodes multiple times and still regularly sit down on a weekday morning at 9am on channel 4 to watch it
The last episodes were shown last week and they remain the best ending of a sitcom ever - almost perfect TV IMHO

Niles is one of the best TV characters ever created

I will watch this re-boot, but I expect i will be disappointed
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Agree about Niles - his character was perfect for the show, and how he played it was superb, the glances, his mannerisms and perfectly timed lines!!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I think I'll judge it as a totally new show, rather than contrast it with the original. I reckon it'll be better than at least 80% of what's on, but maybe won't reach the heights of the original. Good enough is good enough.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

posted up a little bit further...Niles was absolutely brilliant. both the character AND the actor...

he had some absolutely LOL moments on lots of occasions.

Marty to me was so under the radar to, some of his cutting remarks to Frasier delivered with a straight face were great, (only to laugh behind Frasier's back) and Roz was a brilliant character. some of Nile's remarks to her about her sex life was some of the best in the show.

maybe it will be a different show, who knows. I was reluctant to get into Frasier after Cheers, but he was a great character in Cheers that I figured if anyone, he could carry it off. he was a complete pompous ass. and SO good at it....
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3194 likes

Post by WCpete »

I liked the dog. He was good.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WCpete wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:59 pm I liked the dog. He was good.
me too !!!!!!!

had a coach one time who had a dog that wasn't exactly identical but close to. I used to call the dog "Eddie" the coach thought it was hilarious.

WKRP
Taxi
Frasier
Seinfeld
Cheers
Frasier

all with a fantastic cast. that's what I think keeps them fresh in rewatches even if some of the humour now seems a little bit flat.

I have the last 4 of those downloaded and watch them still. not bingeing but a couple of shows at a pop every now and then. watched an old Taxi the other night with Lotka marrying a hooker for his US papers. and Reverend Jim performed the ceremony.

still had some pretty funny moments.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Cuenca - Frasier is obviously that good, you’ve downloaded it twice! :winker:

To be honest, I’d watch it twice!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 pm Cuenca - Frasier is obviously that good, you’ve downloaded it twice! :winker:

To be honest, I’d watch it twice!
ooops..

blame my bloody secretary who typed up my dictation !!!!!!!

:crylol:

but I have watched several series more than once. but the later series not so much....as I posted earlier, the ones leading up to the marriage between Niles and Daphne were not up to much at all.

it was much better when he was still married and then when they had to "sneak" their romantic bits at Frasier's apartment.

there we some hilarious moments in and around all that...... just when he thought they were alone Marty was in the bedroom, or kitchen or coming back from taking Eddie for a walk...

or Marty would invite himself along when they thought they were going out together........

very clever show, a bit in parts like the old Brian Rix (for the REAL oldies here) farces...

:crylol: