✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Paqueta was pounced upon immediately by two players applying an extreme press as soon as he attempted to control the ball. They proceeded to thread a perfect through ball through to Wilson. It was a very good piece of play for Newcastle and I'm finding it hard to fault any one individual. Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition instead of picking apart a player each time. Every goal that every team has scored this season can be blamed on someone. Saying that... it's not the first time we've been a little slow to start the game and it seems to be quite common that the opposition gets a big chance inside the opening 10 mins.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Paqueta is the most responsible in my eyes.

A premier league player shouldn't be giving the ball away in that position. He has a touch, doesn't use it to protect the ball, then is outmuscled and weak.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I can’t really apportion much blame to Antonio or Fab, but Paqueta absolutely didn’t know there was a second player and should have been protecting a ball like that first. He was sloppy. Kehrer also isn’t with his line, and I’d bet good money that Ogbonna was telling him.

Still think it’s a foul on Antonio anyway.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:32 am He has a touch, doesn't use it to protect the ball, then is outmuscled and weak.
Bit like Antonio winning one aerial duel out of eight.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:27 am Despite Fabianski playing that stupid long ball
Speaking of, jeez was Fab's distribution ever poor at the weekend. Doubt he had more than about 7 successful passes.

Feel sorry for Kehrer as I think in that RCB role he looks confident. Hopefully he can shake off whatever he has and come back fairly quickly.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:19 am I still thought he looked shaky and unconvincing.

There was no glaringly horrendous error in my opinion, but he wasn't particularly good. He's a full/wing back I think.
I think his proper position is full / wing back too, he was filling in as a third CB and I don't know if him and Oggy have even played together much so as it's the first few minutes they didn't have the right understanding as to where they should be and got caught cold.

After that they didn't leave any space I thought.

I still think Paq could have done better though as well.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Proper United Nations at the back for us isn't it. That must play a part to begin with. How good is his English? As a German it's probably pretty good but to have all of those different accents to deal with it must certainly make things harder.

Definitely his best showing so far. If he isnt fit to play against West London Soccer Club then I'd play Johnson again as i thought he did well. If Dave plays the same formation again anyway.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 pm How good is his English?
It's virtually perfect mate.
TheCharlatan
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by TheCharlatan »

Thought I'd have a look at that piece by the aforementioned person on C&H.
No analysis of the player just rantings,I was hoping for more.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:09 pm I think his proper position is full / wing back too, he was filling in as a third CB and I don't know if him and Oggy have even played together much so as it's the first few minutes they didn't have the right understanding as to where they should be and got caught cold.

He considers his best position to be centre back according to the interview he gave when he joined and he has played there far more times than any other position in his career.

I do think as a fan base we like our central defenders to be no nonsense which is why so many seem determined to play him anywhere but centre back!

For me what he gives us is worth the risk if the silly errors get cut out.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 pm He considers his best position to be centre back according to the interview he gave when he joined and he has played there far more times than any other position in his career.

I do think as a fan base we like our central defenders to be no nonsense which is why so many seem determined to play him anywhere but centre back!

Guess if you looked in even more detail he would say playing as a centre back but not defending deep in a low block.

Might hope is he can perform in a higher line which I want us to start doing after this little run. Be it back 4 or back 3/5
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

MB wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:47 pm He considers his best position to be centre back according to the interview he gave when he joined and he has played there far more times than any other position in his career.

Think he’s very good in a back 3, him and Aguerd either side of Zouma would be top quality if the 3 of them would stay fit. Not so sure if it’s 2 cbs, he’s a size down for PL struggles perhaps. And I think he gets blamed for too much, couple of the goals supposedly down to him looked more like him being the man desperately trying to cover errors from his colleagues, sure he’s made mistakes, but I’d still like to see him get a run of games at rcb in a 3 before any real judgement. Kehrer featured very prominently in the spell before ht when we dominated at Newcastle, that pace to intercept and his passing ability are an asset if properly used.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For those that have mentioned the possibility of him playing defensive midfield... He has actually played a decent amount of games there before in his career.
MB

Post by MB »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:55 pm Guess if you looked in even more detail he would say playing as a centre back but not defending deep in a low block.

Might hope is he can perform in a higher line which I want us to start doing after this little run. Be it back 4 or back 3/5
Agreed. I think with the 3ATB we haven't been sitting as deep. It is a shame he picked up the injury as he looked like he was starting to really enjoy himself.

I can understand the doubts in back 4. Even a high line doesn't protect you from set pieces. Soucek can be used to balance that though
Pete647580
Has liked: 1214 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Presumably this is question that has been considered and dismissed, but anyway.......

Why aren't we seeing Kehrer as the natural replacement for Rice?
MB

Post by MB »

Pete647580 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:05 pm Presumably this is question that has been considered and dismissed, but anyway.......

Why aren't we seeing Kehrer as the natural replacement for Rice?
I think a few are keen to try him there this season. Not for me. He lacks the character to be a good sitting player and while he has good passing for a defender, I’m not convinced it is top midfielder level. Think you’d get more playing Downes there and I’m not even that convinced by Downes (yet, hopefully…)

It will be a massive hole to fill when Rice goes. We probably need to decide number 6 or number 8 and go all out to land the best we can,
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

TheCharlatan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 pm Thought I'd have a look at that piece by the aforementioned person on C&H.
No analysis of the player just rantings,I was hoping for more.
Assuming we are discussing the same aforementioned person from that other site, did you take a look at his player ratings for the Newcastle game?

IMHO, not sure he's watched many/enough WH games if his conclusions and expectations are causing him to score players like that, after a good performance.

Appreciate he's trying to generate clicks, but it reads a bit like an OV.

What do in know though?
:hamm:
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3040 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Thilo ain't an attacking wing back for a system with three centre backs. He's a right back in a four, a third centre back in a back three or a centre back in a back four with a towering centre back next to him.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:38 am Bit like Antonio winning one aerial duel out of eight.
Every thread, no matter what it's about, will always get someone slagging off Antonio or Moyes :lol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

People keep seem he has made so many mistakes but it seems way overstated.

His OG was a tap in for Son, there was the one where Dawson leathered the ball at him which is far more of a Dawson error than a Kehrer error. If anything he would have been better getting out of the way and letting it out for an opposition throw-in.

The other that springs to mind is when Rashford leapt like a salmon over him and the defender is always at a disadvantage for such early crosses where they do not have time to face the ball.