⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by This Fish »

HammerTime86 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:00 pm My missus is a Geordie. Without wanting to sound like an idiot, there's generally a lot of really good folk up there.

Quay side... Walking the dog along the beach. I know I've only listed two things but as far as I'm concerned it's got everything.

Various in-laws have messaged to say that they thought we played well, have some excellent players and hope we kick on to safety.
I know it's not going to happen for a whole raft of reasons, but Declan Rice is exactly what Eddie Howe needs for this iteration of Newcastle United. Tenacious, great technique, a leader, young-ish, experienced. He'd cost north of £100m, want a CL club, want huge wages and want a realistic chance of winning trophies. Newcastle are still probably too close to the beginning of their growth for him right now. If he was to leave West Ham in the summer, it'd likely be for Manchesters City or United, or maybe (maybe) Liverpool.

Can't imagine him turning out for another London club.

Still, all that said I'd love him at Newcastle.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Belatedly but by popular demand...

The opposition view: Newcastle United
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137762
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

An interesting OV that. Generally quite fair, accepting Rice, Paquetà and Aguerd were quality, and saying a draw was a fair result.

I was surprised how much they have a go at themselves though, as being bad fans. I thought they were happy under Howe but it seems plenty are dissatisfied with their own moaning supporters.

It struck me that (money aside) they’re sort of where we were two seasons ago when we came fifth. The fans think they’re playing one style and people haven’t sussed them out yet. They’re not in Europe so focused on just PL and now one Cup. Howe is playing much the same settled first eleven without rotating much, and the fans are worrying about player burn out by the end of the season.

Be interesting to see how it develops, but they obviously have the resources to go to the next level unlike us.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

They've done well since the money came in, not just with purchases though, getting a tune out of Almiron and Joelinton* that previous manager/s had failed to do. Credit to the manager for that.
As for some of their fans being unhappy, that's intrinsic of the modern want it and want it now ...

Wembley final and 4th place
what a horrible situation to be in...

*Joelinton you diving cheating scum, didn't need VR for that one, well seen by the ref.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:57 am Any tactical notes for us to enjoy?
It’s all about players.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

carnage wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:40 pm It’s all about players.
True dat.

Agureds availability and our upturn in form are no coincidence
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 pm True dat.

Agureds availability and our upturn in form are no coincidence
And Cresswells absence :grin: