⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Chelsea (11/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 pm The opposition view: Chelsea
f*** me, there’s conspiracies everywhere!

It must be tricky in that VAR room. You’ve got one set of the Illuminati conspiring to keep Chelsea among the elite and another set wanting West Ham to win at all costs ‘because they can’t go down with that stadium.’

I can’t keep up with it all tbh. The Football Man seems to change his mind every week.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I loved football without VAR..

Just that instant gratification. That instant joy. That moaning about a ref on the Monday morning too.

I would willingly take a drop off in the percentage of correct decisions ...if it meant the drama and the instant euphoria could come back to my football world.

I know it would cost us at times and some would yearn for VARs return. Not me......I watched football for 50+ years without VAR sucking the life out of my enjoyment.

Would scrap it in a heartbeat. Just keep goal-line technology.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

davids cross wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:46 pm I loved football without VAR..

Just that instant gratification. That instant joy. That moaning about a ref on the Monday morning too.

I would willingly take a drop off in the percentage of correct decisions ...if it meant the drama and the instant euphoria could come back to my football world.

I know it would cost us at times and some would yearn for VARs return. Not me......I watched football for 50+ years without VAR sucking the life out of my enjoyment.

I know we're slightly drifting off topic, but I preferred the way they did it in The World cup with the graphic. To me it was a hell of a lot quicker and obvious.

The two line system they use in The Premier League always looks amateurish and more often than not, inconclusive in my mind.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Hate VAR much better without it , still the same idiots getting it wrong but now the emotion of football sacked out of the game .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm I still think our movement is crap. I'm not saying we don't move - we do - we just don't do it intelligently enough. This is apparent with various aspects of our game... when we take throw ins is obviously one. It's also apparent when we're struggling to progress the ball forward, and those times we end up playing it back to the keeper from an attacking position.

100% spot on mate.

notice loads of times either the CB/FB's are looking for a progressive ball, ditto with the MF's as well at times, they seem to shrug, wave their hands then pass it backwards or sideways.

I've often shouted at the telly that the movement up front must be dreadful. either that or so obvious and slow that the opposition have the time to move with them and shut off that avenue.

exasperating.......
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

davids cross wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:46 pm I loved football without VAR..

ditto mate. I was here on my own on Saturday, watched Tommy's goal go in and jumped up and down with joy, shouting at myself and the telly, congratulating him for putting us in front and for a more than likely 3 points.

destroyed my completely and utterly over the top feeling of course.

not only that I had to wait maybe 2 minutes or longer, to get what the commentators had told me almost immediately. "they're checking for something else" so I thought maybe just maybe........

and to be honest, with your 50 plus years of watching, you go back to the time pre MotD or The Big Match when you had absolutely no idea whether or not it was onside or offside. and no way of ever knowing. EVER. you had to rely on a newspaper writer to tell you. and even then it was just a wild guess.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Throw ins are pathetic. Corners poor do we not practice ?

Antonio bowen be rahman all poor movement
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:39 pm **** me, there’s conspiracies everywhere!

It must be tricky in that VAR room. You’ve got one set of the Illuminati conspiring to keep Chelsea among the elite and another set wanting West Ham to win at all costs ‘because they can’t go down with that stadium.’

I can’t keep up with it all tbh. The Football Man seems to change his mind every week.
Ha ha
What is shows is that fans of every single club think there is a conspiracy against them
Probably shows it is just a lot of incompetence
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:45 pm I still think our movement is crap. I'm not saying we don't move - we do - we just don't do it intelligently enough. This is apparent with various aspects of our game... when we take throw ins is obviously one. It's also apparent when we're struggling to progress the ball forward, and those times we end up playing it back to the keeper from an attacking position.
This!

And then said keeper hoofs it upfield only for it end up in the oppositions possession and a counter attack ensues.

Another one of my gripes is when Fab has the ball in hand after collecting from a corner/free kick.

Instead of getting it out quickly and try to get a counter attack going before the opposition can react, he keeps hold of it and after several seconds, just rolls it out to one of the defence. All the time, the opposition have time to get back and in position. We're then faffing about trying to get the ball forward.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

we're just not good in trying to play out from the back. currently anyway.

so a little toward Fab here, he hoofs it up. it normally goes to the opposition. or if not, goes to our loan forward with 2 or 3 defenders in close proximity so our chance of ball retention is almost nil.

think it was the Barcodes game, Fab had about 20% possession. that means of course, (elementary I know) that 80% of the time it's coming right back. no wonder we're under the cosh most times.

honestly and I know it won't be a popular decision but I'd rather ping it into the the corner sideline and then push up and mark up from their throw in. at the VERY least we'd be a damn sight closer to their goal, and a bloody sight further away from ours.

Shirley it couldn't be much worse than having Fab punt the ball at almost every occasion.

just checked and it WAS 20% pa.......