👋 Farewell, Pablo Fornals

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: ✍ Pablo Fornals

Post by RaddyKovac »

MB wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:41 am In the 18 yard box agreed. But you don't get whipped crosses on the rest of the pitch :winker: . Powder puff.
Why would you want him anywhere too far from the there when playing as a lone striker in our set-up though.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

RaddyKovac wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:11 pm Why would you want him anywhere too far from the there when playing as a lone striker in our set-up though.
Because if he isn't winning the headers and Soucek isn't then what?
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Frankly we should be. Between Benrahma, Bowen, Fornals, Lanzini, Paqueta, Rice, Emerson, Cornet, Antonio we need to be getting ball in to feet or on his head at pace.
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

What has he done wrong to piss off Moyes so much?
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

jastons wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:52 am What has he done wrong to piss off Moyes so much?
I think its due to him being slower than Mark Noble (todays version)
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

On the rare occasion he has played he's hardly staked a huge claim for a first team place.

I can't remember the last time I thought he had a good game. Possibly Seville at home? and that was well over a year ago now.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

:fire:
BobbyMooreLower wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:24 am On the rare occasion he has played he's hardly staked a huge claim for a first team place.

I can't remember the last time I thought he had a good game. Possibly Seville at home? and that was well over a year ago now.
I can't remember the last time he has been given the opportunity to play 2 games consecutively to give him time to get up to speed. Fornals and Lanzini are still the only 2 players that can make us tick (less so Lanzini as his best days are behind him) but the continual omission of Fornals has been a key factor in our dismal displays and inability to keep the ball.
Paqueta could become this player but I don't think he'll stick around long enough for us to find out.
I think a more adventurous manger could find room for both fornals and paqueta and then we could do that passing thingy where the players do 1 touch stuff which we aren't able to do.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:24 am On the rare occasion he has played he's hardly staked a huge claim for a first team place.

Another player not used properly.
Was a defensive left midfielder vs Fulham to help protect Cress.
Just one of many players not given a chance to succeed.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:36 am :fire:

I can't remember the last time he has been given the opportunity to play 2 games consecutively to give him time to get up to speed. Fornals and Lanzini are still the only 2 players that can make us tick (less so Lanzini as his best days are behind him) but the continual omission of Fornals has been a key factor in our dismal displays and inability to keep the ball.
Paqueta could become this player but I don't think he'll stick around long enough for us to find out.
I think a more adventurous manger could find room for both fornals and paqueta and then we could do that passing thingy where the players do 1 touch stuff which we aren't able to do.
Ahh the “passing thingy”, that ingenious tactic that seems to have eluded us a bit this season.

I’m just old enough to remember when West Ham we’re able to multi task, with the “passing and moving thingy”.
master
Has liked: 3215 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by master »

Bumping this as I saw something which worried me yesterday. Ball out to the left towards Pablo and he couldn't quite bring it under control. For the first time, he lost it a little and smashed the ball into the crowd. Highly unusual.

To his credit, as soon as the final whistle went, he jogged over, skipped the hoardings and gave his shirt to whoever he'd struck. Nothing you wouldn't expect from a class fella.

However, having won the match and with several teammates and staff celebrating on the pitch to join, he then walked from one side of the pitch to the other, not interacting with anyone and straight off down the tunnel.

It's pretty much a year since he sang on camera and seemed delighted with how things were going. I want that player back.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think it's really hurting him that he has been left out so much and it probably hit home in such a big European game. A stark contrast to those last year where he was a pivotal figure.

He cares so much about this club. I hated seeing that response from him as it felt so unlike Pablo. Correcting it immediately on the final whistle as well as his subsequent instagram post made me feel better though.

I hope he starts on Sunday. There's still time for him to play a huge part this season. I will be absolutely gutted if he isn't a West Ham player next season. I often think that a lot of our troubles seemed to coincide with him dropping out of the lineup.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3029 likes
Total likes: 2677 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Played pretty much as a second left back away at Fulham. Subbed at some points like in his last league start almost three months prior at Wolves. Straight dropped for the next match afterwards. Tough.

But better to see him show emotions instead of letting it slide. Big decision coming up in the off-season for him and the club.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

master wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 pm
It's pretty much a year since he sang on camera and seemed delighted with how things were going. I want that player back.
I think it's over for him, personally.

That was frustration, his Rio moment, really. He said something about a 'personal' dimension in his tweet. The ball got booted because he miscontrolled it.

I don't think he is in first team plans any more. Moyes could easily have given him a chance when Ings, Downes and Kehrer came on, because Paqueta is certainly going to start on Sunday, so it wouldn't have hurt for him to get 20 minutes, sat next to Declan, listening to the crowd sing in praise of the team. Alternatively, but with Benrahma, Fornals could have got 20 minutes in his place.

He didn't. He gets 5 minutes a fortnight. Surely leaving in June, unless Moyes does instead.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

It breaks my heart..

:(
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4728 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

It does make me think back to the poster who mentioned players being played/not played due to contracts.

I just can't see any other reason that Fornals would go from one of the first names on the teamsheet to completely out of favour so quickly.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:05 pm It does make me think back to the poster who mentioned players being played/not played due to contracts.

I just can't see any other reason that Fornals would go from one of the first names on the teamsheet to completely out of favour so quickly.
You and me both.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I love the bloke, honestly, I really do.

I do think he’s the most overrated player in the squad however. Yeah he runs a lot but what else does he do (on a consistent basis)?

He’s the type of player Spurs rinse other clubs for, let him go and wish him well. Expecting an avalanche of disagreement here and that’s fair enough.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Fornals has caps for Spain remarkably. I’m not convinced he’s actually PL quality. Certainly wouldn’t be picked for many other teams in this league imo.
johnnyboy123
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 272 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:05 pmI just can't see any other reason that Fornals would go from one of the first names on the teamsheet to completely out of favour so quickly.
He freely admitted his form nose-dived after the birth of his son; whether it was loss of focus, lack of sleep or whatever but the article I read a while back gave me the impression that sharing parental duties was at the heart of the problem.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I still love you Pablo.