NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by simon hammer »

I sincerely hope Jordan Love is able to step up to the plate for the Packers.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

simon hammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:00 pm I sincerely hope Jordan Love is able to step up to the plate for the Packers.
He was drafted in 2020. Have you Cheeseheads seen anything from him to suggest he’s ‘the man’?
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

Macca1973 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:06 pm He was drafted in 2020. Have you Cheeseheads seen anything from him to suggest he’s ‘the man’?
Honestly? No.

But then it's been the Aaron Rodgers Show for most of that time, with Love having precious little game time.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Good luck to Baker Mayfield at the Bucs. Big, big shoes to fill.

That game against the Raiders last season will live long in the memory. Absolute scenes :smiler:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

OBJ to the Ravens. Didn't see that one coming.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

As a Ram, pretty happy with that draft. Excited to see the new QB if and when he gets his chance (knowing Stafford sooner rather than later). To me looks like a good upgrade on Wolford and Perkins.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

we got 2 of the top 3 in the draft..

bet that's been a while since THAT happened !!!!!

I'm pumped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:scarfer: :scarfer: :scarfer:
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

No idea if the draft was good or bad for us Packers. Time will tell I guess.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:16 pm we got 2 of the top 3 in the draft..

As a West Ham fan you should always remember its the hope that kills you.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:12 am As a West Ham fan you should always remember its the hope that kills you.....
I do, I do..

but the last 3 years have been dreadful.

I couldn't even watch some games last season.

and then when we WON the last game of the season, when we needed to LOSE it to get Bryce Young..

summed up the season.

3 coaches in 3 seasons.

some SERIOUS talent due to good draft picks to last 2 drafts.

I can't wait.

(only to be disillusioned no doubt....)
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

RIP Jim Brown, one of the all time NFL rb's. He was an absolute beast. He's the only Hall of Fame player AND member of the Dirty Dozen (brilliant film).

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ji ... asses-away
Macca1973
Has liked: 1830 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Proper legend of the game. RIP.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

simon hammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:00 pm I sincerely hope Jordan Love is able to step up to the plate for the Packers.
Unfortunately, I think he's going to be excellent. (Don't care for the Packers.) His body of work in college was not extensive, so I was a skeptic, but in his brief game experience as a pro, he's very much looked the part.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:55 pm OBJ to the Ravens. Didn't see that one coming.
It's a team with a history of having a permissive culture, which won't have an issue with his antics. The coach is very good at managing "dynamic" personalities, so I could actually see it working. Was hoping he'd end up with the Cowboys, adding to their chaos and dysfunction.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:16 pm we got 2 of the top 3 in the draft..

The only equivalent situation that comes to mind was in the 1992 draft, when the Colts had the 1st and 2nd overall picks. The two players selected, Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt, went on to have very unremarkable, injury-shortened careers.

Drafting is such an inexact science. For example, going back 5 whole years to 2018, Mayfield (#1), Darnold (#3), & Josh Rosen (#10) have all bounced around, changing teams at least twice, and in the case of Rosen, out of the league altogether.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Wouldn't be unshrewd to bet on the Cards having 1 and 2 next season.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:39 pm The only equivalent situation that comes to mind was in the 1992 draft, when the Colts had the 1st and 2nd overall picks. The two players selected, Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt, went on to have very unremarkable, injury-shortened careers.

Drafting is such an inexact science. For example, going back 5 whole years to 2018, Mayfield (#1), Darnold (#3), & Josh Rosen (#10) have all bounced around, changing teams at least twice, and in the case of Rosen, out of the league altogether.
agreed but after being shyte for the past 3 seasons with 2 absolutely useless coaches and with one of the league's best qb's sitting out an entire season with we all know what problems...and STILL getting paid full whack..

I can't wait. I didn't even bother to watch the last 5 or 6 games after missing zero games for I don't know how long...bit like watching us the beginning and middle of the last season....

I know I could say Shirley it can't be worse, and you would be correct in saying "it might" but anything, something........please give me a reason to at least watch the first half of the season..

:P
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:31 am agreed but after being shyte for the past 3 seasons with 2 absolutely useless coaches and with one of the league's best qb's sitting out an entire season with we all know what problems...and STILL getting paid full whack..

I can't wait. I didn't even bother to watch the last 5 or 6 games after missing zero games for I don't know how long...bit like watching us the beginning and middle of the last season....

I know I could say Shirley it can't be worse, and you would be correct in saying "it might" but anything, something........please give me a reason to at least watch the first half of the season..

:P
You're in a weak division and your schedule is manageable. Your bye is week 7, and three of your first 6 are winnable: Indy, @Atlanta, New Orleans. If you can make it to the bye 3-3 or even 2-4, then in the next 4 you have Tampa and Arizona at home, which are totally winnable. That's reasonably 4 or 5 wins by mid-season, and in that division you can even envision playoffs at that point.

The bad news is that you have no QB, other than the one you just drafted, and he seems very boom or bust. Plus it sounds like it's going to be Mills as the starter to begin the season but it's early. Rookie coach too, who I do rate, but the first season tends to be a bumpy ride even for the ones who turn out to be the greats.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

maybe a rookie coach but he HAS to be better than either of the last two Shirley ?

that alone should excite me and it does. used to be a top player for us in his playing days so that's another reason.

as usual great noises coming out of training camp, they're enamoured with Stroud.

(yeah I understand we need to sell tickets, the place was deserted the past 2 years).

but apparently at OTA's Stroud made a couple of errant throws. left the field talking to the DEFENSIVE coach asking about why he made the mistake, what kind of looks he could be getting and how to play better against the defensive team he saw AS WELL AS talking to the OC.

that really turned some heads. as I say, it's ticket sales time, but I still listen to the local flagship radio, and they don't just kiss ass. they DO have a pretty good analysis about things not always slanted towards the team. in fact they've been VERY critical of the team when needed.

and the local beat writers for the fish wraps have also been impressed with Stroud's thirst for knowledge.

however, first game on the road at Baltimore.

I'm excited about watching once again.

good break down by the way about our first half of the season

:newthumb:
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Now you're talking. Love these uni's. Got to be bittersweet for you Cuenca.