England Rugby/Six nations 2023

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Re: England Rugby/Six nations 2023

Post by 3times »

Eggchaser wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:47 pm I guess you've never heard of Shane Williams, Wales's highest scoring winger ?

Size is irrelevant at fly half, it's about skill, movement and game management.
Smith has the first two, not sure about the 3rd at international level.
Yet - I hope!!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:52 pm Shame you didn't watch it as you missed one of the best performances in the history of the 5/6 Nations tournament. Defensively, France were near-perfect. Seldom penalised, almost never a backwards step. Their attacking play was breathtaking, clinical, merciless and relentless.

We are lucky in Toulouse to be able to go and watch Dupont, Ntamack, Ramos, Baille, Flament,etc. every week.
I’ve recorded it and once I am over the pain of England’s performance, I’ll watch it - for any side to rack up that sort of score, it must have been some performance. France have been good to watch this year and as a rugby fan, I’ll want to see it!! :newthumb:
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:15 pm Mitchell's even slower than Van Poortvliet at the back of the ruck.
I would dispute that and he is light years quicker than the record cap holder at getting the ball moved away from a ruck. He is the best I have seen in years at getting into position, but was not particularly good today. There were contributary factors in this like being up against the best player in the world and the England pack not being particularly good at protecting the ruck ball from the French.

Like others I hope this will lead to a big shakeup and ta totally revamped centre pairing with the 12 being the big fella and a more silky runner at 13. Both England centres are a bit pedestrian imo.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Well that game absolutely typified Italy. Looking like theyd get nothing at HT, got back within 5 points, forwards driving a metre from the Scottish line with two mins to go, they knock on and concede from the resulting scrum.

So another 6 nations and no wins for Italy, but theyre looking closer than they have been for a while.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Harsh red, I thought.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:50 pm Harsh red, I thought.
I thought it was a harsh red on first viewing too.
Slowed down it looks very bad though, I'm not sure if there was intent but it was a very dangerous hit.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

There was never not going to be a collision. Not sure what he was supposed to do there.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I’m not sure what else Steward could do, plus it was from a knock on so Ireland shouldn’t even have been playing it at that point. Should have been a rugby incident, but that’s it for the game now. I don’t think England were going to win anyway, so is a moot point, but spoils the contest somewhat.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Come On You Irelands :scarfer: :grin:
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Well done Ireland - totally deserved over the competition. Thought that was a good England performance, they showed some fighting spirit and kept going after the red. Possibly one of their best performances in this years 6 Nations.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Ireland look pretty unstoppable, huge congrats to them on the grand slam and thoroughly deserved.

Good performance from England...just please sort the discipline issues and we'll be in a good place going forwards.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

I thought Ireland deserved to win the Grand Slam, ( first time on home soil ), it was all set up for a massive party, Patrick's day yesterday etc... but as you know these kind of things never go according to plan.

I thought their performance today was probably the worst of the series but that was down to a very spirted England team and performance, they made Ireland work very hard and had them worried for a lot of the game.

Ireland won the triple crown last season and carried that momentum into this year, nice to see the captain sign off a wonderful career with a win.

These grand slams don't come around too often so we will celebrate it in style. :smiler: :beers:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

An excellent victory for the lads, although to their credit England kept themselves in it until the last twenty. As for the red card, having listened to the referee's explanation I can understand why he gave it. However it happened, Steward's elbow made contact with Keenan's head and ended his game. At full speed it looked more like a body check rather than a tackle, there was no attempt by Steward to wrap his arms around Keenen.

On to the World Cup where I'll again be supporting Ireland
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Didn’t see England game as in Thailand at the mo (oh woe is me!). Congratulations to Ireland and definitely deserved the GS based on the France game alone…best game of rugby I’ve watched in a very long time.

But it really sticks in the throat when the best we can get as an England side is “still in it with 20 to go” “spirited performance” etc. I know it’s the reality at the moment but should never be the case with player pool and resources we have as a union.

Watched the Scotland game though….Italy must be black and blue just from kicking themselves!! That’s two wins they should have had in this tournament. Think the greater expectation has played a big part there and they haven’t been thinking clearly once inside oppo 22. Hopefully they’ll learn as having a competitive “winning” Italy will really build on the strength and watchability of the whole tournament

Anyway…on to the WC. Still think it’s France’s to lose
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Wibble …. double post!
Last edited by pablo jaye on Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Loftyhammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am
But it really sticks in the throat when the best we can get as an England side is “still in it with 20 to go” “spirited performance” etc. I know it’s the reality at the moment but should never be the case with player pool and resources we have as a union.
The red card on half time killed the game effectively, and that’s probably why some of the comments were made - England didn’t buckle in the second half but were eventually ground down by the best team in the competition who had a man advantage. Despite having lost to France and Ireland, this weeks game was a far better performance.

Enjoy Thailand! 👍🏼
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am The red card on half time killed the game effectively, and that’s probably why some of the comments were made - England didn’t buckle in the second half but were eventually ground down by the best team in the competition who had a man advantage. Despite having lost to France and Ireland, this weeks game was a far better performance.

Enjoy Thailand! 👍🏼
Oh I am! :rofl:
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Just been watching the Steward incident again.
My take is that he is lining up for a tackle then the forward pass to ground means that Keenan is now stooped to collect it, as such you can see from Steward that he then tries to pull out of the tackle. I don't actually think the contact was with the elbow, more slightly above it, but regardless his arm was tucked into his body as he tried to pull out of the contact. The forward motion of both players then causes the collision.
If Steward doesn't turn his body this becomes a normal collision.
Pyper didn't allow for any mitigation, then again he yellowed Willis for a tackle that at best was penalty only. Never been a good ref in my opinion and has history of making it about him and not the game.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

Ireland deserved the grand slam. They were the best team in this year's competition.
France arguably played the best rugby.
England were mostly poor. You'd expect a reaction to the France thrashing and they didn't let their heads drop after the red card. That said, I'm not sure we've shown any real improvement over the course of the Six nations.
I don't think it's going to be an enjoyable World cup from an England perspective.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

3times wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:02 am Just been watching the Steward incident again.
My take is that he is lining up for a tackle then the forward pass to ground means that Keenan is now stooped to collect it, as such you can see from Steward that he then tries to pull out of the tackle. I don't actually think the contact was with the elbow, more slightly above it, but regardless his arm was tucked into his body as he tried to pull out of the contact. The forward motion of both players then causes the collision.
If Steward doesn't turn his body this becomes a normal collision.
Pyper didn't allow for any mitigation, then again he yellowed Willis for a tackle that at best was penalty only. Never been a good ref in my opinion and has history of making it about him and not the game.
I think you have it just about spot on, that's more or less as I saw it as well.

Harsh decision and that bloke is a poor enough ref.