Nintendo Switch

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

I was going through my gaming history on Switch and realise I have about 10-12 games on here with at least 50 hours recorded.

I've gotten excellent value for my money IMO, cant recommend this console enough.

New pokemon game comes out in 2 weeks, I've got the Friday & Monday off work so I'm really looking forward to a long weekend of putting serious hours into it.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I'm thinking about getting a Switch for my Son for Christmas. He is four in January and can use a kindle fire tablet quite well to watch YouTube and play games. He is obsessed with Mario and Sonic.

Would you recommend buying one? I'm thinking about the 'traditional' switch so we have the option to Dock. Are there any benefits to buying the lite version?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Test the water with a Wii. Great, cheap console for kids and has got Mario and Sonic games.

Unless of course you're buying the switch for yourself, under the guise of gifting your child.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

jastons wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm I'm thinking about the 'traditional' switch so we have the option to Dock. Are there any benefits to buying the lite version?
It's cheaper I assume?

I haven't docked mine in a year. My 2 boys have both got a Switch too, and neither have ever docked it. You will need the dock if you are playing Mario Kart multiplayer, but games play better on Handheld IMO
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Funny really but I was going to say exactly the opposite. The small screen is great for holidays or travelling, but when playing something like Mario Party it is much better on the big screen, and Zelda seems much more impressive with a bigger view and sound.

For that I would go for the version with the dock

I guess kids are a bit less discerning though and are happy to play on anything. Having been used to big screen PS4 gaming the small screen is a bit of a comedown for me but great for convenience
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Lil Joe 17 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:11 am I was going through my gaming history on Switch and realise I have about 10-12 games on here with at least 50 hours recorded.

I've gotten excellent value for my money IMO, cant recommend this console enough.

New pokemon game comes out in 2 weeks, I've got the Friday & Monday off work so I'm really looking forward to a long weekend of putting serious hours into it.
Finally about to get one. Due to having an Xbox One and 3DS I didn't see the need for one, but I am going to. Pokemon Sword/Shield looks great, and will probably be the first game I get.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Quite enjoying Pokemon Sword so far. A nice graphically enhanced version of the old classic Pokemon games. I like the design on the UK also. I see a few people reviewing and not liking the Dynamax, but as someone who plays Pokemon Go and enjoys raids, the Dynamax encounters in wild areas are great.

It seemed that they might be trying to put some of the best parts of Pokemon Go into it. The wild Pokemon encounters aren't just random in the long grass, but they are actually there in the wild and you can see what you're about to encounter. I personally like that feature, as it saves having to encounter loads of Zubat's in caves for example and the fact you can avoid the encounters anyway.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I got my Boy a Switch Lite for Christmas. Can anyone recommend a good quality protective cover / case? Thanks.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:39 pm Quite enjoying Pokemon Sword so far. A nice graphically enhanced version of the old classic Pokemon games. I like the design on the UK also. I see a few people reviewing and not liking the Dynamax, but as someone who plays Pokemon Go and enjoys raids, the Dynamax encounters in wild areas are great.

It seemed that they might be trying to put some of the best parts of Pokemon Go into it. The wild Pokemon encounters aren't just random in the long grass, but they are actually there in the wild and you can see what you're about to encounter. I personally like that feature, as it saves having to encounter loads of Zubat's in caves for example and the fact you can avoid the encounters anyway.
I'm waiting for the new Pokemon games to come out to give them ago. They've always been one of the biggest selling points for Nintendo
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

DasNutNock wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am TB released March 3, priced at an impressively optimistic £280. Can't see it being a success outside of Japan. Nintendo should just do a deal with Sony or MS to produce games for their platform. They've been pony at hardware for decades.
Sold 107M units. Once again, proof positive that I haven't got a ****ing clue about anything, ever.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:38 am Sold 107M units. Once again, proof positive that I haven't got a ****ing clue about anything, ever.
:D

We have one, if anyone fancies an ass whoopin on Mario Karts some time?
binary
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by binary »

So i've encountered my first experience of drift on my right joycon and the left has already been in for repair twice. Aside from the plastic insert snapping in the Atari 2600 joystick, i can't think of any other issues i've had with controllers on multiple systems over my decades of videogaming. In principle, the joycons are truly fantastic, but in practice they're an absolute disaster. I've never bought third party controllers before but i have now in the hope that they won't have whatever design flaws Nintendo's have. Really poor.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

binary wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm So i've encountered my first experience of drift on my right joycon and the left has already been in for repair twice. Aside from the plastic insert snapping in the Atari 2600 joystick, i can't think of any other issues i've had with controllers on multiple systems over my decades of videogaming. In principle, the joycons are truly fantastic, but in practice they're an absolute disaster. I've never bought third party controllers before but i have now in the hope that they won't have whatever design flaws Nintendo's have. Really poor.
Yep, I've had the drift, as did both my teenage sons on their Switch's (they don't live with me, so it isn't a "dirty environment" issue"). I had so many problems with controllers disconnecting I gave my Switch to my niece and bought a new OLED one
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

We’ve recently had our Switch repaired as it was overheating (it’s a Mario Odyssey pack v1 a known problem with the diode or something that was removed for later models) and then the Joycons were not being recognised, anyway since we’ve received it back I’ve had an absolute mare retrieving all the data from the Data Cloud. All my son’s Animal Crossing data I cannot retrieve and all of our Miis have been wiped, they don’t seem to be in the Cloud or attached to my account.

Anyone had this problem? I know the Animal Crossing data bizarrely is not supported by the Data Cloud and saved in a different way.
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

I decided to finally give Zelda BOTW a go and I have to say it's an amazing game. I'm 70 hours in, also someone told me about the Amiibos... I checked the individual prices online and they're so expensive! however someone on Amazon is selling 37 Zelda BoTW compatible Amiibo NFC cards for £20. I bought them and every day now I can scan these cards for exclusive armours and weapons + tonnes of arrows and resources.

It's incredible that Nintendo give you the option to do this. I also managed to get 2 Epona's this way....

I'm guessing many of you have played this game. The expansion pass also gave me quests for some really insane items too.
binary wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm So i've encountered my first experience of drift on my right joycon and the left has already been in for repair twice. Aside from the plastic insert snapping in the Atari 2600 joystick, i can't think of any other issues i've had with controllers on multiple systems over my decades of videogaming. In principle, the joycons are truly fantastic, but in practice they're an absolute disaster. I've never bought third party controllers before but i have now in the hope that they won't have whatever design flaws Nintendo's have. Really poor.
After watching TronicsFix and TheCoder on YouTube to fix Joycon drift is usually a simple affair in the fact you unscrew them use some IP Alcohol to clean them up and they're good as new. This has been a massive issue with Nintendo controllers since the N64 though.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

What Nintendo need to do sharpish is make more N64 controllers because the ridiculously short supply totaled with the outrageous cost scalpers are trying to sell them for on places like Amazon is a disgrace.
I’d love to play the Nintendo 64 library but it’s very impractical at times with the Switch controllers.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I may get this one day... at the moment though there's still so much I haven't finished yet on my DS.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:55 pm I may get this one day... at the moment though there's still so much I haven't finished yet on my DS.
I bought a 2DSXL for the kids a few years back when we had a long flight, but they never really took much interest in it. I finally got round to installing custom firmware on it & have "obtained" stacks of roms, as well as installed retroarch & some other stuff. Fantastic bit of kit once you've opened it up.
Mullhull

Post by Mullhull »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:28 pm I bought a 2DSXL for the kids a few years back when we had a long flight, but they never really took much interest in it. I finally got round to installing custom firmware on it & have "obtained" stacks of roms, as well as installed retroarch & some other stuff. Fantastic bit of kit once you've opened it up.
I've done the same with my New 2DS XL I have a R4 Cartridge which has all my DS games on and then a 64 gig sd card with all my 3DS and eshop games on! I also put custom firmware on one of my recent purchases the Wii U. The eShop is going and people are scrambling for titles too.

Now I'm waiting for the same with my Switch! It all hinders on a new console but I wonder with the potential deal with Microsoft over CoD if they're going to produce some 'pro' version of the Switch which can handle playing those types of games.