Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:49 pm Only a matter of time before the dutiful Perez rolls over and lets Verstappen tickle his belly
Not today.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

A pleasant change
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

The F1 comedy show continues.

Alonso has been reinstated to third.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

As a lifelong F1 fan, I will always watch the highlights prog, but I'm doing a lot of fast forwarding!

Having 3 DRS zones is ridiculous, talk about false racing. I though the idea of redesigning the cars was to make closer racing as they could overtake and follow "naturally".

As I said, this season is a disaster in that we know the Champ after 2 races. What was the point of the new regs when all they have done is created this?

Some of the blame must fall with Merc and Ferrari. Actually Ferrari more. At least Merc know it's because they stuck with their side pods, whats the excuse with the red cars, they were beaten by the wrong concept Mercs yesterday. Gone backwards, that team really is flawed.

The only saving grace was Perez not rolling over.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

*yawns* & *meh*

On a plus point I watched the Villeneuve Pironi documentary, good watch.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Almost a good race in there if DRS wasn't so effective to make defending pointless.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 am As a lifelong F1 fan, I will always watch the highlights prog, but I'm doing a lot of fast forwarding!

Having 3 DRS zones is ridiculous, talk about false racing. I though the idea of redesigning the cars was to make closer racing as they could overtake and follow "naturally".

As I said, this season is a disaster in that we know the Champ after 2 races. What was the point of the new regs when all they have done is created this?

Some of the blame must fall with Merc and Ferrari. Actually Ferrari more. At least Merc know it's because they stuck with their side pods, whats the excuse with the red cars, they were beaten by the wrong concept Mercs yesterday. Gone backwards, that team really is flawed.

The only saving grace was Perez not rolling over.
A number of drivers have said it is harder to follow (and pass if you are not in a Red Bull - neither Hamilton or Leclerc could over take their team mates) this year, the teams are adding more down force and 'bending' the spirit of the rules, creating my down wash and making following more difficult.

Not watched the race (was unwell yesterday) but I read the Red Bull is 17MPH faster with DRS open than the next fastest on the straights (without DRS) . They have done something 'funky' with that too. I knew it will trigger some (yes, yes Mercades) but if the sport want to continue to grow they have to 'nerf' Red Bull fast.. maybe they should have punished them properly for cheating...

They are currently
fastest in slow corners,
fastest in high speed corners,
fastest on the straight
have the greatest DRS differential (their max DRS speed-max non-DRS speed)
are 'softest' on the tyres

If the car is legal which with Newey it probably is but it is Red Bull so... The other teams are hoping for reliability issues.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The only hope for this season is Perez gets his elbows well and truly out, but even then Verstappen is still faster than him.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Yes, Red Bull has a brilliant car and driver. Having said that, their main team committed sporting suicide and will have to play catch up for at least one more year and the other strong rival have imploded before they could take any step up.

It's as all the stars are alligned to make Red Bull the team to beat for next few seasons.

They've worked hard enough to get to that spot, it has to be said. It wasn't pure luck.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

szola wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 am Yes, Red Bull has a brilliant car and driver. Having said that, their main team committed sporting suicide and will have to play catch up for at least one more year and the other strong rival have imploded before they could take any step up.

It's as all the stars are alligned to make Red Bull the team to beat for next few seasons.

They've worked hard enough to get to that spot, it has to be said. It wasn't pure luck.
F1, possibly more than any other sport goes in cycles.

As it stands RB are flying although their reliability may still have a baring on how this season goes. But as you say isn't all luck, the same way it wasn't luck when Mercedes and Mclaren were winning titles for fun.

The conspiracy theories are a thing that are great for social media, but in reality the best cars and best drivers invariably win.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 am They've worked hard enough to get to that spot, it has to be said. It wasn't pure luck.
Far from it, they have a genius designing the cars, he stepped back a bit last decade after Vettel's wins, now he is back and look what he has done (again.)

The difference is this time, Liberty have openly stated that a multi-year domination will not be allowed to happen again , be interesting to see what they can do, the floor changes from mid-last year and the start of this were supposed to hurt Red Bull but far from it.. they just keep getting stronger.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:22 pm F1, possibly more than any other sport goes in cycles.
Yep. I'm old enough to remember Williams being at least as dominant as RB are now.
Bend it like Repka

Obviously this is the whole essence in F1 of pure design perfection, but I still find it surprising that in a era of computers, simulators, wind tunnels etc, that 1 team can be so far ahead. Yes Newey is a genius, but Merc and Ferrari can't be employing dunces. I'm sure the margins are fractional between a perfect car and an OK car, but how they can be so far behind with all the aids they must have is very strange.
szola

Post by szola »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:31 pm Far from it, they have a genius designing the cars, he stepped back a bit last decade after Vettel's wins, now he is back and look what he has done (again.)
My impression from the last couple of years is that Red Bull have their strategy on pole, their in-race decision making and their pit crew as well.
At least from memory.

Yes, they have Newey. He isn't working alone, is he? The switch to Honda and now their next step engine-wise, have been better than their competition.
Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:18 pm Obviously this is the whole essence in F1 of pure design perfection, but I still find it surprising that in a era of computers, simulators, wind tunnels etc, that 1 team can be so far ahead.
Same goes for MotoGP as well. Once Ducati figured out how to turn the bike, they were off into the distance. In WSBK as well.

Guessing the software and the codes aren't completely up to speed, just yet. Might be in a few years time with AI learning...
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Perez downfall is he isnt ruthless like Max.

He must know by now that Max was 100% going to try and get fastest lap on the last lap so he should have just done the same.

He now must take a hard look at Max taking that fastest lap when they were told to slow and Perez needs to do his own thing. If he ever wants to win a championship this is his best and possibly last chance (whilst other teams are nowhere to be seen).

Perez needs to just go balls deep and do what he wants - Max would.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

I’d love nothing more than Perez to win over Verstappen this season but sadly he won’t allow it, and Horner won’t upset max. If Perez is in with a a sniff towards the latter stages I’d expect him to sudden experience terrible bad “luck”
Bend it like Repka

k-r-c wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:38 pm Perez needs to just go balls deep and do what he wants - Max would.
The difference is Max can get away with it, he holds total power. Perez has been given a race winning chance in life but there are limits, and the sword of Danny Ric hanging over him.

They will allow Perez to race, because they see the merit in a plan B, but he won't be allowed free reign over Max's ambitions.
szola

Post by szola »

Do you really believe that Perez is anywhere close to Verstappen's abilities?

No need for the conspiracies, is there? Like him or not MV is pure racing. He even races on his free time. He is obsessed.
Which is why he is a world champion. There isn't a world champion who isn't only interested in winning.

Marc Marquez's first mission in MotoGP was to mentally destroy his teammate. Then the competition.
MV has already established himself as the best Red Bull driver. That he from time to time pisses on Perez is unavoidable.
He is the alfa and is he wants to remain, he'll need to piss on him, from time to time.

Perez is too slow on too many tracks to be able to win on pure speed.
Just as Bottas was too slow back then.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:38 am Do you really believe that Perez is anywhere close to Verstappen's abilities?
Unless Max has a terrible run of bad luck or Red Bull marketing decided they want a Mexican world champion. Perez over the season does not get close to Max.

Unless something fundamental changes Max will win at a canter this year (and probably the next couple.)
Bend it like Repka

I actually think Bottas is faster than Perez, which is why he got closer to Hamilton than Perez to Max in qualifying generally.

However Perez has far better racecraft than Bottas making him better placed to grab wins when the opportunity arises.