⚽ UCLR162L: West Ham Utd 4-0 AEK Larnaca (16/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: West Ham United v AEK Larnaca : Match Thread

Post by Ironing Board »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:36 pm The worrying part is that this was against probably league one standard opposition and he was STILL awful
Maybe he's better at left back!
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:43 pm Maybe he's better at left back!
Much better on the left than the right.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Loved the way Lanzini was floating around the pitch last night. I know it was against poor opposition but I thought he had a really good game.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I thought Cornet looked lively too. We've missed his energy.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Mubama is very quick ! Did ings touch it more than 10 times ?
Didn't notice him much
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

costa75 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:20 pm Loved the way Lanzini was floating around the pitch last night. I know it was against poor opposition but I thought he had a really good game.
I actually believe he's under rated. He makes the game look simple and effortless. Yet whenever he plays, he rarely loses possession and keeps it moving slick. You pit him alongside genuine quality, both his and our game elevate even further. He should never have only started 1 game in the League all season long, on the opening day of the season versus the Champions and never seen again unless its very rare token Sub appearances where he hasn't got long enough to do anything of note.

Contrast his lack of appearances domestically with all his starts in Europe both this and last season and you'll see us comfortably and consistently perform well as a Team with him at the heart of it either CM, AM, LW. 10 games this season and we score 25 goals alone, conceding just 6. Couple that with his record in Europe last season and it turns into an excellent body of work consistently winning and scoring many goals. 16 goals in 9 starts he made conceding just 4 whilst he's on the pitch. We even rarely concede too as a Team. We dominated everyone we faced bar Frankfurt in the Semi's and that was in part to a sending off in 1 game (sacrificed early due to Cresswell red card). And he made us tick against excellent sides Sevilla and Lyon with him at the heart once more.

He's one of those kind of players who you really miss when they're not there anymore and it could be getting to that stage for him now fed up with sitting on the Bench unused most of the time in the League. Strangely he's turned into an unsung hero nowadays and I strongly believe we've missed a trick continually overlooking his qualities he brings keeping and moving that ball with ease in the side. We pride ourselves as a Club wanting to play quick free flowing football on the deck and Lanzini is the perfect embodiment of that and yet rarely used. Unless he's scoring a worldie every othrr game, its assumed he's not doing enough but there's so much more to his game than just scoring or assisting. He takes care of the ball and rarely loses it which is his best quality by far as a footballer. Take those kind of players for granted.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2067 likes
Total likes: 687 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:33 pm It's been that long since Lanzini last started games, his hair's turned grey.
He dyed his hair.

It’s been like that for a while.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:28 am He dyed his hair.

It’s been like that for a while.
You had a good Friday night mate? I've enjoyed lots of your posts lately but slightly strange contributions tonight.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

Larnaca lost 4 nil to a team named Aris today :grin:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Shabu wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:51 am Larnaca lost 4 nil to a team named Aris today :grin:
:lol:

I want to say I'm surprised, but I'm really not. They are woeful. Difference between that game and our 4-0 win is we had to rely on a very fortunate sending off at half time to achieve it.