Emergency alert test to be sent to all UK phones

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Re: Emergency alert test to be sent to all UK phones

Post by hammers92 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:55 pm My MIL said something this morning
Not to take away from the seriousness of your point but it’s a shame you didn’t include an F on the end of MIL.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:40 pm ALERT! - Steady drizzle expected for the next week - ALERT!
That's what I thought, and in the summer it will be, don't leave your house it's to hot!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:55 pm My MIL said something this morning about there must be a lot of people in UK with a secret 2nd phone (people in volotile relationships, domestic abuse sufferers etc who have a 2nd phone for an emergency their partner doesn't know about) - surely this will give up the phones location and the secret phone won't be very secret at all? (unless they swich it off as assuming the text/alert won't automatically turn the phone on?)
From the link in the original post

People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:40 pm From the link in the original post

People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off.
Quick! Quick! the pubs' shutting... That sort of thing?
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Really split on this one...I'm really big on privacy,but complete privacy is moreorless impossible these days...
Phone Numbers...E-Mail etc seem to work their way into the "System" eventually.

But If this could somehow someway be of a Benefit to someone,as a precaution,Flooding and Wildfires,we have to admit are increasing.
If it can alert someone to a potential future problem,it might be OK.

Really don't think it's some kinda control/intrusive thing.

Bit Off Topic...Have 2 Phones one just for Family/Friends,never give it out(Number) to anyone...had a Prob one day had to call RAC,only had
this Phone on me...
Bout a week later,,,Calls and Texts from the No Win No fee dudes start coming in..oh we've heard you've had an accident etc,
wasn't me mum gave my Number out.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I just think it's overkill. When was the last disaster, either natural or man made that had a significant loss of life and how would an alert help?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1523 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I’d rather this than another ****ing U2 album being forcibly inserted onto my phone!
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

I’m not sure civil liberties are at stake like many seem to be suggesting. If you don’t want the warnings, just switch it off in settings.

The tinfoil hat brigade are out in force.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm I just think it's overkill. When was the last disaster, either natural or man made that had a significant loss of life and how would an alert help?
It will allow one to panic and run around like a headless chicken for a bit. Probably get in the way of emergency services.

Whose idea was this?
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Everyone is Banging on about Global Warming....it is happening no denying it,whether man made or Natural Climate change or a
mixture of both..it's happening...
Bit like covid,we're going a bit into the unknown,so we have to prepare and take precautions,put things in place that are hopefully
up and running that the public are aware of and know how to utilize and use,if the time comes,might never be used,or could save lives.

Like said before,don't particuarly like it...but I understand and get it.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Try sending an alert to this bad boy.....

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:08 pm It will allow one to panic and run around like a headless chicken for a bit. Probably get in the way of emergency services.

Whose idea was this?
And start panic buying bog roll and petrol.

I swear people have lost the ability to think fir themselves.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:08 pm It will allow one to panic and run around like a headless chicken for a bit. Probably get in the way of emergency services.

Whose idea was this?
Nah, it sends out coded messages. So unless you're in 'the know', you won't have a Scooby what 'will Mrs Red please take the bong out of the dishwasher' means. :newthumb:
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:15 pm Seemingly, you will be unable to use some apps on your phone until after you have acknowledged receipt of the Government text.

Stay off the grid.

This is, without a doubt, a huge infringement of your liberty.

Brothers, sisters, we don't need that fascist groove thang.....
I have a dumb phone, calls and texts only...no data plan. Cheap as chips, and no apps either...so not being able to use any doesn't affect me in the slightest. I'm definitely moving towards "off grid" living though...every year I make a conscious effort to get closer to it.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:18 pm This feels sinister to me and nothing to do with weather.

Like they’re readying us for something.

With the war in Ukraine raging I think it's natural to have these thoughts but as others have said many other countries have this system in place .

I don't possess a phone so will have to rely on others for any warning though I am struggling to think what would warrant such an action .....other than nuclear war . :winker:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 am With the war in Ukraine raging I think it's natural to have these thoughts but as others have said many other countries have this system in place .

I don't possess a phone so will have to rely on others for any warning though I am struggling to think what would warrant such an action .....other than nuclear war . :winker:
Great to see you back. Hope all is well with you. :newthumb:

ToMoS, you won't need one. The the first sign that something might be wrong is when thousands of thousands of boats start landing on your shores, in a mad panic.
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 am With the war in Ukraine raging I think it's natural to have these thoughts but as others have said many other countries have this system in place .

Hurrah!!! ToMoS is back.

Nice to see you, hope you're doing a-ok?

:scarfer:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

ATTENTION EVERYBODY!
ATTENTION EVERYBODY!
LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS!
TOMOS IS BACK!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:05 am
The the first sign that something might be wrong is when thousands of thousands of boats start landing on your shores, in a mad panic.
And that's different to living in Kent how? 🤨
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

-DL- wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:53 am And that's different to living in Kent how? 🤨
Deserved more than just 'a like'... :crylol:

But to answer your question, I don't know as I live on the civilised side of the Thames. I can see the day when we just blow the bridges and flood the tunnels to keep you lot away from our land.. Be back to Viking style invasions before you know it. :crylol: