Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by S-H »

Jonah wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:14 pm Started the flight MH370 doc on Netflix.

Couldn't help but wonder what IronWorx thinks of it?
Just finished it, still more questions than answers.

Interesting viewing though.

:newthumb:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Loved watching "Fall" on Netflix earlier this week. Great thriller for those who like that thing. If you can stand heights, steer well clear.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:42 pm Just finished it, still more questions than answers.

Saw ep1 last evening.

Obviously, it's all theorising, but, if the senior pilot seriously wanted to murder a large group of people, he would have turned the plane back and crashed it into a built up area, surely?

Its not as if he had any personal grudge against any particular section of the passengers / crew, is it?
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 pm Loved watching "Fall" on Netflix earlier this week. Great thriller for those who like that thing. If you can stand heights, steer well clear.
I'm not too bad with heights as in I will happily get up a ladder to the roof of my house no worries, some people I know don't even like stepping foot on a ladder full stop! I know it's a film but to climb what is effectively a 2000+ foot piece of scaffolding you'd have to have serious cajones!!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The Terminator wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:56 pm I'm not too bad with heights as in I will happily get up a ladder to the roof of my house no worries, some people I know don't even like stepping foot on a ladder full stop! I know it's a film but to climb what is effectively a 2000+ foot piece of scaffolding you'd have to have serious cajones!!
I have a problem with heights but only if I don't feel secure and confident. I can feel more comfortable 500 metres up the side of a mountain than I do 4 metres up a ladder. Also depends on the drop. If its a straight down, sheer drop then it's an issue for me. A bit of a gradient and I'm ok, even if a fall could still just as easily mean death. I'll be watching this film tomorrow night.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:42 pm Just finished it, still more questions than answers.

Certainly is more questions than answers. The 3 episodes jumped about a bit too much for me. Thing I don't get, is that the piece of wing they found, we work in the civil/military aviation sector - bolts/nuts/etc, the size of your thumbnail are all identified and have full traceability, so it's bizarre to me that they cannot 100% say that was from MH370?!?! Just adds more to the conspiracy. In this modern world I am amazed they don't know. Incredibly sad for all the families involved.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I watched Fall. I enjoyed it but I seriously doubt that any pro climber would have done any of the things they did. I have been climbing with others a couple of times and watched climbers many other times whilst on the a mountain. I think it's pretty clear that the director did not do any research whatsoever and did not bother consulting any experts. Or maybe he did and just decided to ignore everything he was told.

I'd have been a gibbering wreck before I'd even got to 100ft, nevermind 2000ft. My legs would have started wobbling simply looking up at it. I think that's the sole reason I got any enjoyment out of it to be fair... the height stuff gave all the tension I needed and I got that weird feeling in my legs just watching. In terms of the story... there may be 1 or 2 bits (actually more like 20 or 30) where you'll say 'oh come on - as if that would happen!'

Basically, a willing suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy the film. Luckily I'm quite good at doing that.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Everything Everywhere All at Once - film that won all the Oscars on Prime - Film is a bit out there, in fact a bit barking mad at times. Was an enjoyable watch. Comes down to personal opinion, I also have not watched all the films that were nominated, but All Quiet on the Western Front can feel a little hard done by in my humble.

Good film though, as it is very different so maybe that is why it done so well, not sure I would watch again which is always my barometer of how good I think a film is.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

agree about All Quiet on the Western Front as I enjoyed it immensely only to show how horrific war is in general and the first one even more so.

however, the Germans are not happy in general as it's based on a very big selling book that apparently the producer/director whomever strayed so far from the original with "winning the Oscar" in mind that it bears zero resemblance to the book at all.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/all- ... eview-2022

“All Quiet on the Western Front" is state-of-the-art in shoving your nose in realistic-seeming carnage and possibly inducing hearing damage in laying on the ear-splitting aural experience of a fire-fight. The in-the-trenches tracking shots that Stanley Kubrick crafted for “Paths of Glory” (a movie that culminated in a point that actually made sense, unlike this muddle) are now steady hand-held digital panoramas of exposed viscera and agonized writhing. Filmmakers have arguably lost the plot, turning “War is hell” into a “Can you top this?” competition.

Within all the action, the narrative of young Bäumer making his way, learning what it is to kill, and trying to forge fellowship in his untenable situation plods along. Berger adds some material too. There’s a parallel storyline in which real-life German vice-chancellor Matthias Erzberger tries to broker a peace with the French and others. This is not present in Remarque’s book. So why’s it here? I reckon several reasons: first, to demonstrate that in the Great War, there really WERE some “good Germans,” which when you think about it is neither here nor there in this scheme, as the reader/viewer is meant to at least have some empathy for Paul, who is after all a German soldier. And the intransigence of some of the French delegates in these scenes will bring to mind the years-long humiliation Germany was subjected to by the Armistice agreement, which helped bring about the rise of Hitler. The Erzberger narrative is also intended, one supposes, to build suspense: will the Armistice go into effect before the worst can happen to the characters we’ve come to care about? (Presuming one has indeed come to care about them, which was not my own experience here.)

But this is not the only special pleading the director puts forth. Late in the film there’s a sequence when Paul and his older army friend Katczinsky (Albrecht Schuch) go to steal a goose (to eat, not to adopt as a pet or anything) from a French farm and run afoul of a dead-eyed French boy. I won’t “spoil” the sequence. But I will say that, apart from committing the cinematic sacrilege of using the same Bach choral prelude that Tarkovsky put in his “Solaris,” it is very invested in villainizing French farm boys. To which I can only ask, well, what were the Germans even doing in France at that time anyway?

Ultimately, I found this kind of whataboutism more amusing than disquieting. Maybe I’m just whistling in the dark.

as I'm not an official reviewer I tend to like what entertains me and no look into the depths of why something was made, was there more inteneded, didn't you understand why this scene was in or out etc...

I was "entertained" if one can use that to describe a film about awfulness..
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Cuenca :newthumb:

Think most historical/based on book films can be pulled apart a bit, or lots, depending on what the screenwriter/producer/director wants. I just like to be entertained / engrossed for a couple or so hours. Although the film regarding the capture of the enigma coding machine by the Americans did...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:09 pm Cuenca :newthumb:

Think most historical/based on book films can be pulled apart a bit, or lots, depending on what the screenwriter/producer/director wants. I just like to be entertained / engrossed for a couple or so hours. Although the film regarding the capture of the enigma coding machine by the Americans did...
ditto mate..I think I saw that, and I thought that they didn't capture it at all..

I don't mind "some things" being changed due to circumstances etc. and one of my favourite films in that context was We Were Soldiers Once... based of course on a book.

trouble was the ending was completely made up. I thought initially it was "embellished" a bit but I Wiki-ed it and found that it was absolutely nothing (iirc) like that in the slightest..all of it was fabricated.....

shame because it came across very well overall.

however, sticking an female elf into The Hobbit who falls in love with a dwarf was imvho, was bridge too far !!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am Everything Everywhere All at Once - film that won all the Oscars on Prime - Film is a bit out there, in fact a bit barking mad at times. Was an enjoyable watch. Comes down to personal opinion, I also have not watched all the films that were nominated, but All Quiet on the Western Front can feel a little hard done by in my humble.

Good film though, as it is very different so maybe that is why it done so well, not sure I would watch again which is always my barometer of how good I think a film is.
I missed the oscars - just catching up now with which film won what. I'm surprised that this won so many. I found it quite enjoyable and I'd say it was good... but not multiple oscar winning good. I think it's being a tad overrated. Was it a weak year for films? Considering Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery was nominated for a best adapted screenplay award, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish nominated for best animated film, and black panther nominated for best picture, I can't imagine competition was all that great
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I've stopped trying to figure out the Oscars Burnley, one man's meat is another man's poison..

As you know for more than a few years there has been a lot of talk about lack of diversity for many award ceremonies, does also seem (at times) it's that persons time to win it etc.

I mean, the film is good, but that many Oscars good? Not for me, but then I have not watched all the other films. As you say, could have been an average year for films.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

seems like prime have lost the rights to show Picard now. Strange that it has happened halfway through a season, but sod paying extra to watch it, I'm sure there be some streaming service for that.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:53 am seems like prime have lost the rights to show Picard now. Strange that it has happened halfway through a season, but sod paying extra to watch it, I'm sure there be some streaming service for that.
Picard should be on Paramount as whenever I'm watching the football on a stream, depending on who's it is I keep getting bombarded with adverts for Paramount and the series they're showing and Picard features on those.

at least I'm pretty sure that's what I'm seeing.

dunno if that helps at all.......
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Luther

Thought it was rather good.

First hour was classic Luther, doing Luther ****.

The second hour went full zero zero seven, and Serkis was the classic Bond villain too.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:39 pm Picard should be on Paramount as whenever I'm watching the football on a stream, depending on who's it is I keep getting bombarded with adverts for Paramount and the series they're showing and Picard features on those.

at least I'm pretty sure that's what I'm seeing.

dunno if that helps at all.......
Cheers, seems I was being a bit over ambitious.

I think it is on Paramount first, but Prime does show it, but later on in the day, or the next day.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

night agent is looking pretty decent too
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:30 am Luther

Thought it was rather good.

First hour was classic Luther, doing Luther ****.

The second hour went full zero zero seven, and Serkis was the classic Bond villain too.
I must have watched a different second half. We split it over 2 nights, and indeed the first half was classic Luther, so I was looking forward to how it played out.

However the second half became the most unbelievable piece of dross that must of been written by a 15 year old it was so implausible. Jesus, I know it's fiction, but try and give it some believability.

I won't put up spoilers, but f*** me there are some leaps in plausibility going on.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Luther: Was the end in reference to Bond..... ?