The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Post by Shabu »

October 14th 2066 will mark the 1,000 year anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, arguably the start of English then British society.

I'm sure some of the boffins on here know better but I think prior to that we were a collection of tribes for thousands of years except for the Roman occupation. Then the Angles settled East Anglia, the Saxons South East England and the Jutes (whoever the f*ck they are) took the Isle of Wight.

Anyway, do you reckon there'll be a party on 14/10/2066? I'll be 98 by then so could do with a good shindig.
kenthammer
Has liked: 249 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: 2066

Post by kenthammer »

I'm in Shabs,I'll even buy the drinks(be 104 by then) :beer:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

kenthammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm I'm in Shabs,I'll even buy the drinks(be 104 by then) :beer:
Babycham for everyone
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

100 years of hurt
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

What about the Vikings, most of the villages around here (Lincolnshire) & along the East coast end in BY, which is Viking i believe?
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

kenthammer wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:27 pm I'm in Shabs,I'll even buy the drinks(be 104 by then) :beer:
Likewise, i'll be 104 too :zzz:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm washing my hair that day. Ffs.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

V-M wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 pm 100 years of hurt

Bolton Wanderers have a lot to answer for . :grin:

Those other 900 years must have flown by .
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

England was formed by the Anglo Saxons before this, fulfilling the vision of Alfred the Great. The Normans conquered and England became a police state, French was the language spoken by the nobility for the next 300 years.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Shabu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:44 pm the Jutes (whoever the f*ck they are)
Germanic peoples from The Jutland Peninsula (modern day Denmark and Northern German around Schleswig-Holstein who settled in Kent an the Isle of Wight.
Heysel76 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:34 am What about the Vikings, most of the villages around here (Lincolnshire) & along the East coast end in BY, which is Viking i believe?
That's correct. These are Viking place names ending with the following and their meanings:

"-by" = farm or village

"-thwaite" = woodland clearing

"-kirk" = church

"-ness" = river mouth

"-toft" - house or building

Saxon place names:

"-ing" = people (usually preceded by the Saxon chieftain's name)

“-Leigh” or “-Ley” = a forest clearing

“Bury” = fortified place

“Ton” = farm or farming village

“Wich” or “Wick” = farm produce

“Burh” = town

“Ham” = village

Sussex = South Saxons
Essex = East Saxons
Wessex - West Saxons
Nosex = marriage :cried:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I have a bit of interest in etymology and it's fascinating how place names have changed or evolved over the years depending on who invaded who - they say History is written by the winners , well , those winners also changed various place-names and it's continuing right up to this day .

Take Northumberland for instance [ which then included southeastern Scotland ] - in the good old days before the Anglo Saxons the kingdom of Northumberland was called 'Y Gododdin ' , ' Bryneich ' or ' Brynaich ' , Cumbria was Rhedeg [ all from Old Welsh ] , in turn it became Bernicia [ Romans probably ] - Welsh was spoken as far up as Dumbarton , their Scottish Princes used Old Welsh as their first language [ see Ecclefechan in Dumfries - originally would have been Eglwys Fechan [ small Church ] before the Vikings or Saxons [ I think ] changed Eglwys to Eccle .

For some it would seem that British History started with Alfred The Great and his battles with the Vikings but there were people here before them , a lot of them would have spoken Old Welsh or a form of it .

All fascinating stuff .
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am All fascinating stuff .
England was united under the Anglo Saxons, so you could say that is when English History began. Arguably British History started after we were conquered by the Romans as they named the island after one of their gods, Britannia. Then added the word 'Great' meaning large. But of course there were people living here for many thousands of years before that.
I love all this history stuff.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Coops wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:37 pm Then added the word 'Great' meaning large.
That was added in roughly 1136AD to distinguish it from the region of "Brittany" in France which was settled by a number of Celtic Britons who went there to escape the Saxon invasions. Their language "Breton" is closely related to Cornish and Welsh.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Shabu wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:44 pm October 14th 2066 will mark the 1,000 year anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, arguably the start of English then British society.
Boffin says: Open another can or read an istory book. Or both (Iike I do!)
Misko
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 1387 likes

Post by Misko »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am [ see Ecclefechan in Dumfries - originally would have been Eglwys Fechan [ small Church ] before the Vikings or Saxons [ I think ] changed Eglwys to Eccle
Do you know which of the two words means Church? I find Eglwys strangely close to the French word for it, Église.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1650 likes

Re: The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Post by last.caress »

I'd say "back on topic please gentlemen" except that an anniversary which still lays 43 years hence is literally the weirdest topic I've ever seen. Even for The Snug. Even for Shabu!

So rather than work out how the f*** to maintain the original topic, and rather than lock it since you elbow-patch chin-strokers seem to be enjoying yourselves, I've taken the liberty of changing the title and therefore widening the scope of the thread.

As you were, Time Team lovelies! xxx

:kumbnew:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

100 years since England won the World Cup (according to the BIble)
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

So, my point being that 1066 arguably marks the start of modern day England, then Britain, is because the Normans united the country whereas there were always competing kingdoms prior to that.

They brought in many of the laws that are still guidelines today. The Magna Carta. The linage of the Royals. And so on.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

West Ham still wouldn't have won another trophy.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am I have a bit of interest in etymology and it's fascinating how place names have changed or evolved over the years depending on who invaded who - they say History is written by the winners , well , those winners also changed various place-names and it's continuing right up to this day .

Take Northumberland for instance [ which then included southeastern Scotland ] - in the good old days before the Anglo Saxons the kingdom of Northumberland was called 'Y Gododdin ' , ' Bryneich ' or ' Brynaich ' , Cumbria was Rhedeg [ all from Old Welsh ] , in turn it became Bernicia [ Romans probably ] - Welsh was spoken as far up as Dumbarton , their Scottish Princes used Old Welsh as their first language [ see Ecclefechan in Dumfries - originally would have been Eglwys Fechan [ small Church ] before the Vikings or Saxons [ I think ] changed Eglwys to Eccle .

For some it would seem that British History started with Alfred The Great and his battles with the Vikings but there were people here before them , a lot of them would have spoken Old Welsh or a form of it .

All fascinating stuff .
Hello Mate,

Welcome back.

What's the difference between Welsh, Gaelic & Celtic?

Are they all forms of a similar language or very different? You say Welsh was spoken up in Dumbarton but isn't that just Celtic?