The Johnson Government 2019-2022

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Re: The Johnson Government 2019-2022

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:01 pm The sad thing is, he's best defence is that he's a complete idiot who doesn't comprehend the consequences of what he's doing at any given time. On that basis, I can see it being concluded that he didn't 'knowingly' lie to parliament. It's the defence of a toddler who has just been caught smearing jam around the kitchen.
Yet this is the man deemed suitable to have his finger on the button...
OFT
Has liked: 3240 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

sendô wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 pm It never ceases to amaze me with these sorts of things, that the issue isn't that he broke his own law, or lied to the general public, but that he might have lied to parliament.

There were people that could not visit dying relatives, people who could not attend funerals etc, yet Boris happily plays the idiot.
I think the premise is that a minister or member is telling the house the truth without exception so it may act accordingly.

Your second point sendo, is without doubt, the disgrace in all this.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

OFT wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:05 pm I think the premise is that a minister or member is telling the house the truth without exception so it may act accordingly.

Your second point sendo, is without doubt, the disgrace in all this.
As mentioned often before, he didn't visit a dying relative or go to a funeral, so that comparison is akin to whataboutery. However, he didn't need to go as far as that to show a disgusting level of hypocrisy and utter contempt for us mere mortals, he did that simply by breaking the rules he applied to the rest of us.
All this squirming doesn't go with his usual demeanour, he'd normally just bluff and bluster his way through.......
OFT
Has liked: 3240 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

delbert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:07 pm As mentioned often before, he didn't visit a dying relative or go to a funeral, so that comparison is akin to whataboutery. However, he didn't need to go as far as that to show a disgusting level of hypocrisy and utter contempt for us mere mortals, he did that simply by breaking the rules he applied to the rest of us.
All this squirming doesn't go with his usual demeanour, he'd normally just bluff and bluster his way through.......
:newthumb:
Well perhaps it is 'whataboutery' in one sense delbert but I think it fair to say that's the yardstick by which many are measuring it. I suppose one might argue that 'ordinary folk' probably broke the rules too, but as you say, they weren't the ones making them. Perhaps these points matter not now, what matters is 'did he knowingly lie' to Parliament and he certainly looked 'a little uncomfortable' today in suggesting that he did not.

Thats not to belittle the grief and misery that people had to deal with by the way
Last edited by OFT on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:34 pm My mate had to sit in the car whilst his wife went through a still born pregnancy. She was alone, scared and needed emotional support.

Boris is scum. And I hope he gets his head kicked in as he arrives home tonight.

That cuts deep. I hope your man and his Mrs can get some help. [S. A. N. D. S are good people.]
Sh*t like Johnson aren't worth your bitterness, they know nothing, and care even less.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5675 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

delbert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:07 pm As mentioned often before, he didn't visit a dying relative or go to a funeral, so that comparison is akin to whataboutery. However, he didn't need to go as far as that to show a disgusting level of hypocrisy and utter contempt for us mere mortals, he did that simply by breaking the rules he applied to the rest of us.
But isn’t it more that Joe Public couldn’t or at least felt they couldn’t do those things under the guidance whereas he thinks a piss up for two blokes leaving their jobs was fine?

It shows his complete disregard for the guidance his government enforced on others. I don’t see that as whataboutery at all.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

MB wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm But isn’t it more that Joe Public couldn’t or at least felt they couldn’t do those things under the guidance whereas he thinks a piss up for two blokes leaving their jobs was fine?

It shows his complete disregard for the guidance his government enforced on others. I don’t see that as whataboutery at all.
We couldn't do those things and he didn’t., he didn’t visit a sick relative or go to a funeral,. However, as you rightfully say, he did have a piss up and in
doing so was going against his own rules, rules that stopped us going likewise.
Surely adding examples of things he didn't do in comparison is akin to whataboutery (or at least comparing apples with oranges)........
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

I'd love to know what has happened to that expensive gold wallpaper
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

delbert wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:31 pm going against his own rules,
Johnson, if we recall correctly, was being slaughtered for not wanting to lockdown and being too liberal both in spring 2020 and winter 2021.

The rules weren't really his - this isn't a country run by presidential decree - they were caused by those who drove the herd-like 'follow everyone else on lockdown' mentality and the fact that the NHS would visibly collapse.

The stuff trying to link a few cheesy nibbles with lonely funerals is totally spurious. If he doesn't attend, it doesn't prevent a single one of those funerals.

The lonely funerals were created by the zealous advocacy of strict social distancing, isolations, lockdowns and such like. There's many in positions of influence who should be in the dock for that ahead of Boris. The question for wider society is whether these rules around lonely funerals etc were worth it to prevent more deaths.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1513 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I missed my Nan’s funeral, but to be honest I was ok with that.

But I really could have done with a pint with a mate or two when my wife had a miscarriage and she couldn’t talk to me in April 2020. I did what I was told though..assuming that we were all doing the same and we were all making the same sacrifices.

Looking back…I really needed a ****ing pint with a mate.

If only I’d been a bit thicker and hadn’t understood the rules, I could have just got hammered with a load of chaps from work.

f*** him. He stood up there telling us what to do all the while knowing a) he didn’t believe in what he was saying and b) he wasn’t doing it anyway.

One rule for them.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1873 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:25 pm Johnson, if we recall correctly, was being slaughtered for not wanting to lockdown and being too liberal both in spring 2020 and winter 2021.

The rules weren't really his - this isn't a country run by presidential decree - they were caused by those who drove the herd-like 'follow everyone else on lockdown' mentality and the fact that the NHS would visibly collapse.

The stuff trying to link a few cheesy nibbles with lonely funerals is totally spurious. If he doesn't attend, it doesn't prevent a single one of those funerals.

The lonely funerals were created by the zealous advocacy of strict social distancing, isolations, lockdowns and such like. There's many in positions of influence who should be in the dock for that ahead of Boris. The question for wider society is whether these rules around lonely funerals etc were worth it to prevent more deaths.
So… he didn’t lie to parliament, then?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36 pm He stood up there telling us what to do all the while knowing a) he didn’t believe in what he was saying and b) he wasn’t doing it anyway.
Do you really and truly believe that Boris Johnson was dictating admission policies in hospitals? That he was providing advice on things like barrier nursing and infection control?

And social distancing in supermarkets? Or PPE guidelines?

The policies were PHE/NHS ones.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

old fart wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:19 pm I'd love to know what has happened to that expensive gold wallpaper
Being used to cover his gaggle of children's Latin and Greek textbooks.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1513 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:43 pm Do you really and truly believe that Boris Johnson was dictating admission policies in hospitals? That he was providing advice on things like barrier nursing and infection control?

And social distancing in supermarkets? Or PPE guidelines?

The policies were PHE/NHS ones.
So he shouldn’t have followed the rules because they weren’t his? Then why should we have?

Or is it ok for him to follow his heart whilst we follow the rules?

I’m not sure what you’re saying here to be honest.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:18 pm We do not live in a presidential society where someone like Boris can issue executive decrees/diktats. They are not 'his' rules.

It is also foolish to imagine that they are 'his' guidelines.

They are parliamentary rules that were driven by public opinion. Public opinion ordained that he (or anyone else for that matter) should 'follow the science'.

So the people saying - "you can't see someone in hospital, or you can't go to a funeral" - were essentially PHE and the NHS, and the public would not have entertained them being ignored.
So it was the public standing in front of a lectern telling us what to do @5.00pm every night then.... fair enough...
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:22 pm So it was the public standing in front of a lectern telling us what to do @5.00pm every night then.... fair enough...
Who do you think was driving the rules?

Bearing in mind Johnson was being castigated for not locking down.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Boris Johnson is toast and so are his supporters. The world will move on.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 pm Boris Johnson is toast and so are his supporters. The world will move on.
He is indeed toast or at least has been since last year. He may yet come out of this unscathed, but as far as support for him goes at this time, the vast majority will have deserted him in the time honoured Westminster fashion as soon as he was no longer relevant.
I bet he now wishes he’d actually stuck by his instincts and not been pressured into any lockdowns by his advisors, political allies / opponents and mainstream media types. At least then everyone could have at least attended important gatherings and meetings with just sensible controls in place instead of sitting on the beach on 80% pay.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

My wife and I followed lockdown rules to the letter. I know loads of people that didn’t. I don’t give a toss about that, I’ve moved on and trying to forget about COVID and lockdowns. Others really should do the same. This is nothing more than a witch hunt.