Learning to cook

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Re: Learning to cook

Post by badabing »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:23 am BBQ is a big blind spot for me, funnily enough!

But then in my 10 years with the missus, I spent most of it as the main cook, as I quite enjoyed it and she hates it. It stresses her out and she's like the Tasmanian Devil in the kitchen whereas I can do a full roast and you wouldn't even know I'd been cooking as I wash up as I go.
I’m the same mate, the missus is quite a decent cook but doesn’t really like doing it, but God almighty when she does it’s like the flying squad have raided the kitchen looking for blaggers, every bloody pot and pan is out.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

badabing wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:26 am I’m the same mate, the missus is quite a decent cook but doesn’t really like doing it
Snap, hence why I pick up cookhouse duties.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Best site out there...

https://www.yummly.co.uk
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

RaddyKovac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:23 am BBQ is a big blind spot for me, funnily enough!

BBQ and outdoor grilling is one of life's greatest joys. Its worth investing in a good gas grill, and spending one year figuring it out. You quickly learn the tricks such as grilling chicken at a low temperature (thighs over breasts all the time), blasting burgers on both sides at high heat, but for short bursts, tending to steak, and even using cast iron pans to cook veggies to accompany. All the while sitting out with a beer in one hand, and music playing on a good quality bluetooth speaker. Costco is great for meat, and sells it in quantities that do well for social BBQ's.

Also, a charcoal BBQ can be just as nice. Just be sure to invest in a good meat thermometer and you can regulate the temperature that way. Ribs and wings are best done that way.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Het-Field wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am BBQ and outdoor grilling is one of life's greatest joys. Its worth investing in a good gas grill, and spending one year figuring it out. You quickly learn the tricks such as grilling chicken at a low temperature (thighs over breasts all the time), blasting burgers on both sides at high heat, but for short bursts, tending to steak, and even using cast iron pans to cook veggies to accompany. All the while sitting out with a beer in one hand, and music playing on a good quality bluetooth speaker. Costco is great for meat, and sells it in quantities that do well for social BBQ's.

Also, a charcoal BBQ can be just as nice. Just be sure to invest in a good meat thermometer and you can regulate the temperature that way. Ribs and wings are best done that way.
My brother has one of those Japanese Egg BBQs I can't remember the name of it but it's decent.

Kamado Joe it's called. Can cook absolutely everything on it. Looks like a BBQ / Pressure cooker.

Anyone have any experience using one of them?
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

snooperpooper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:18 am Best site out there...

https://www.yummly.co.uk
Cheers pooper, never seen that site before. It’s very good.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Mullhull wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:44 pm My brother has one of those Japanese Egg BBQs I can't remember the name of it but it's decent.

Kamado Joe it's called. Can cook absolutely everything on it. Looks like a BBQ / Pressure cooker.

Anyone have any experience using one of them?
Very efficient and versatile, but they’re expensive, very big and extremely heavy. Nice to use but I’d take the Weber One Touch over a kamodo any day.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

RaddyKovac wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 pm I have no baking / pastry exp and follow my nose a lot.
Baking/pastry is a lot less forgiving and you do have to get quantities spot on, and also the heat that your cooker actually gets to (rather than what the dial says) if it is leccy/gas may influence things.

Would thoroughly recommend this Be-ro cookbook.

https://be-ro.adareinternational.com/pr ... ecipe-book

It has loads of recipes for different types of cakes, pastries, pancakes, scones etc, and is a snip at £2.99. The wonderful missus jaye has had one for about 40 years and it’s invaluable.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Youtube channels worth looking at:

Jamie Oliver - say what you like about the bloke, but his ability to show you a recipe, highlighting the important bits, is second to none.

Binging with Babish - makes a fair amount of silly videos, recreating stuff from TV and movies, but his "basics with Babish" channel is very good. A little like Jamie, leaves you with a good understanding of the key bits to ensure you get things right.

Brian Lagerstrom - has some excellent recipes, including some shortcut stuff, all very much based in the real world. Stuff like "I want a home made pizza, but forgot to make any dough this morning", so shows you how to make from scratch to serving in just over an hour.

The US channels (Babish, Lagerstrom) tend to use kit that you wouldn't consider traditionally British kitchen equipment, such as heavy cast iron pans. A lot of this stuff is relatively inexpensive, and can transform your cooking, so is worth considering. I picked up a cast iron pan last year, seasoned it as per a million other youtube videos suggest, and it's become a real staple for stuff - steaks, pan pizzas, fry ups etc.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Italian food in general is a great place to start. Probably the first thing I learn to cook properly from scratch as a kid is bolognese. It's so easy to do it honestly irritates me to f*** when I see people stirring jars of Dolmio into some mincemeat.

That being said, people who can't cook and want to start doing things that are more complex than chucking a pizza into the oven, jarred curries are a good basic level to work up from, as you'll still need to seal your chicken first, cook rice (1 litre of water for every 100g of rice as any Chinese person will tell you) and toast up a naan bread.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Rum.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:36 am
Jamie Oliver - say what you like about the bloke, but his ability to show you a recipe, highlighting the important bits, is second to none.
Totally agree
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Also, never put milk into a bolognese. Criminal.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

sendô wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 pm Also, never put milk into a bolognese. Criminal.
Milk or cream does make it taste really nice, the Italians do it too. Full fat milk or single cream is best.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

sendô wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:12 pm It's so easy to do it honestly irritates me to **** when I see people stirring jars of Dolmio into some mincemeat.
Now that would be interesting! :shock:
dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:36 am
I'm probably missing something because I don't understand celebrity culture but what's the hate about? Surely anyone who makes cooking proper grub as accessible and easy as him should be congratulated. Didn't he try and raise the standards of school dinners? Bloke deserves an OBE or something.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Jennings wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:36 pmI'm probably missing something because I don't understand celebrity culture but what's the hate about? Surely anyone who makes cooking proper grub as accessible and easy as him should be congratulated. Didn't he try and raise the standards of school dinners? Bloke deserves an OBE or something.
Take your pick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Oli ... troversies
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:56 pm Take your pick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Oli ... troversies
like I said then, a complete tosser. :rofl:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Well... I personally have no beef with the bloke. Some of his business practices were/are a bit eyebrow-raising, but his efforts to improve the eating habits of the country should be welcomed without criticism. But he knows how to explain a recipe, that's for sure.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Uncle Roger destroys Jamie Oliver ... :crylol:

jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

:crylol: