Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Re: Music You've Never Given A Proper Go...

Post by Metal Hammer »

badabing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm Reminds me of my old dad, there was a WASP video on something like MTV, Blackie Lawless screaming out I don`t need no doctor, and my old man muttering, if anyone needs one it`s you mate!
:crylol:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

I bloody love I Don't Need No Doctor.

Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

last.caress wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:09 pm I bloody love I Don't Need No Doctor.

To be fair F**k like a Beast was never getting played on TOTPs :crylol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:00 pm That's smashing Tomos
Glad you liked it - something different - when we were listening to it in the car I was interested in knowing what type of instruments they were using , I thought I detected some form of bagpipes ? towards the end ?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm To be fair F**k like a Beast was never getting played on TOTPs :crylol:
Couple of my friends went to see them Friday.

They (WASP, not Baz & Aubrey) were miming.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Rio wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:31 pm Couple of my friends went to see them Friday.

They (WASP, not Baz & Aubrey) were miming.
... and you'll never hear Blackie singing "Animal f*** Like A Beast" ever again as he's turned into a born-again Christian apparently.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

I was never especially taken with Animal (F**k Like a Beast). Cool title when you're fifteen but the tune wasn't up to much. W.A.S.P. had much better songs. The aforementioned I Don't Need No Doctor was probably my favourite but there was also Harder, Faster, Scream Until You Like It, I Wanna Be Somebody, the outstanding Blind in Texas and, of course, The Manimal. "Half beast! Half man!"

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

I don't need no doctor is a very old song (50's I think), and many acts have covered it. The WASP version is pretty much note-for-note Humble Pie.

Here's Ray Charles (who I've never given much of a go):
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

vietnammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:23 pm I don't need no doctor is a very old song (50's I think), and many acts have covered it. The WASP version is pretty much note-for-note Humble Pie.

Here's Ray Charles (who I've never given much of a go):
Do you know I could have swore bline that The Who did a cover version of this song too which was what W.A.S.P. based theirs on.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:39 pm ... and you'll never hear Blackie singing "Animal **** Like A Beast" ever again as he's turned into a born-again Christian apparently.
Apparently they have played it on this tour.

I saw WASP in what was (I think) their first UK appearance, never really took to Blackie Lawless.
Hampshire Hammer

Just catching up with this thread, I will (and have) tried most musical genres - can't take to Jazz, the type where it sounds like everybody is playing a different tune.

Elevator music like Coldplay, so bland that five minutes after the song finishes I can't remember what it was.

But the funniest thing I've seen is people classifying bands like ZZ Top as "metal", I guess playing guitars loud makes them metal does it? :crylol:
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

:newthumb:

Tbh, I've long-since lumped rock, rock'n'roll, metal and all other music around that area together. Who cares? Probably stems from my getting into all of it pretty much at once back in the mid 80s having been into hip-hop/electro/rap (more musical styles I lumped together!). So apart from the intensity of the music being played, I drew no real distinction between Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, Napalm Death or Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction. It was all my "metal" years which, for my convenience, also included US punk types such as Agnostic Front, Minor Threat, NOFX, Murphy's Law etc etc. S'all metal to me, baby!

Getting hung up on every variant of sub-genre can slide from "It's hardly metal, is it? It's southern blues rock" into a rabbit warren of pomposity. "It's not metal, it's avant garde psycho-glitter-billy math-core, with a soupçon of post-ironic no-wave and a healthy nod to German classicism, black metal poetry, the writings of both Anton LaVey and William Shatner, and a dollop of good, old fashioned sludge-funk. Pfft!"
Hampshire Hammer

To be honest I absolutely detest putting bands into genres but IMO ZZ Top are one of those bands that defy being put in a box, same as Led Zeppelin and a few others. Top have produce blues, country, Rhythm and Blues and rock albums as well as merging rock/blues with dance backing tracks so to me calling them metal is putting them in a box that they don't fit in.

As a rock and metal fan I've had fifty years of hearing "metal" used as a label to put bands down as unsophisticated noise (to be fair some metal bands can be ;) ) so I get a bit touchy when bands like Top get labelled disparagingly as metal.

Note, I tend to be like Lemmy and just use the label rock though I've heard him talk about metal as well.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 am As a rock and metal fan I've had fifty years of hearing "metal" used as a label to put bands down as unsophisticated noise (to be fair some metal bands can be ;) ) so I get a bit touchy when bands like Top get labelled disparagingly as metal.
:newthumb: Just like you sir I have heard "metal" used as a pejorative, many times over the years. I've never especially minded, though; I've always thought, "Aw, poor sod. Doesn't know what he/she's chatting about." :) But believe me, I've NEVER disparaged anything as "metal". I have the Misfits' Crimson Ghost etched on one arm and DRI's moshing man etched on the other (and I intend to get the Cro-Mags' logo tattooed down my forearm sometime in the next year). It's the music of Gods and Immortals as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with the Lemmy comparison and I tend to do that too although, as I pointed out above, I lump it all under "metal" instead of "Rock n Roll" as the great man tended to do. And ZZ Top specifiically have been big, big favourites of mine since they came to true, global prominence in the early(ish) eighties (I was about 11, I think). They were as metal as f*** to me - in its best sense, of course - given that a) I didn't have a scooby about sub genres, southern blues rock or anything like that, and b) I was listening to stuff like Duran Duran, Blancmange, Soft Cell and whatever else the UK Top 40 fed me.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Bit of trivia for you fans of Metal / Lemmy -

Lemmy went to the same School [ in Amlwch , Anglesey ] as my good self - little before my time but same School nonetheless .

As you were .
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Bet he copied his dress-style and image from you TOMOS
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

vietnammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:48 am Bet he copied his dress-style and image from you TOMOS
:crylol: :crylol:

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

A) because Lemmy has been mentioned
B) because why not

Metal Hammer

Post by Metal Hammer »

A lot of bands ended up getting labelled as Metal when they weren't because the metal fraternity took them to heart when no one else did.

Funniest thing I remember was in my first full time job there was a female colleague who was a big Quo fan and nearly had an apoplectic fit when someone called them metal :crylol:
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I've just remembered that I saw WASP live a few years ago supporting Motorhead. I thought they were quite funny in an over the top theatrical way.

Not being an expert in the genre, I would class both bands as Metal.