Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by vietnammer »

Speaking of Luther; 3,000 Years of Longing. Enjoyed it muchly, though I've still got 45 mins left (England v Ukraine started) so no spoilers pls!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:44 pm Speaking of Luther; 3,000 Years of Longing. Enjoyed it muchly, though I've still got 45 mins left (England v Ukraine started) so no spoilers pls!
3000 Years of Longing followed by 45 Minutes of Mediocrity
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:09 pm 3000 Years of Longing followed by 45 Minutes of Mediocrity
Oh raspberries! So the (true) massacres of kindred by assumptive Sultans, the Middle Eastern mysticism, and the 'larger women' Middle Eastern fetishes din' mean nuthin? It's a superb film so far imo. Fielding student questions at the mo traps me in a timeless bottle, but I still look forward to that 45 mins.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Miss Sloane - If like me you like a political film then I think you will enjoy this - In the high-stakes world of political power-brokers, Elizabeth Sloane is the most sought after and formidable lobbyist in D.C. But when taking on the most powerful opponent of her career, she finds winning may come at too high a price.

Jessica Chastain as the lead, she was excellent.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Operation Fortune thriller movie by Guy Ritchie on Prime. :thup:
Orson Fortune (Jason Statham) and his crew recruit Hollywood's biggest movie star, Danny Francesco (Josh Hartnett), to help them on their globe-trotting mission to save the world. with Hugh Grant playing similar role he played in The Gentlemen.
Silly but fun.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Beef on Netflix. Asian-centric comedy/drama with a mad ending. It isn't what I expected but then again, I wasn't sure what to expect going off the trailer. I thought the hook of the show would be all about the revenge between the 2 protagonists but it delves far deeper than that. Very original and creative.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:03 pm I must have watched a different second half. We split it over 2 nights, and indeed the first half was classic Luther, so I was looking forward to how it played out.

However the second half became the most unbelievable piece of dross that must of been written by a 15 year old it was so implausible. Jesus, I know it's fiction, but try and give it some believability.

I won't put up spoilers, but **** me there are some leaps in plausibility going on.
I thought the whole thing was total ****, in fact so much so that the brilliant BBC series are now tainted
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:57 pm agree about All Quiet on the Western Front as I enjoyed it immensely only to show how horrific war is in general and the first one even more so.

however, the Germans are not happy in general as it's based on a very big selling book that apparently the producer/director whomever strayed so far from the original with "winning the Oscar" in mind that it bears zero resemblance to the book at all.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/all- ... eview-2022

“All Quiet on the Western Front" is state-of-the-art in shoving your nose in realistic-seeming carnage and possibly inducing hearing damage in laying on the ear-splitting aural experience of a fire-fight. The in-the-trenches tracking shots that Stanley Kubrick crafted for “Paths of Glory” (a movie that culminated in a point that actually made sense, unlike this muddle) are now steady hand-held digital panoramas of exposed viscera and agonized writhing. Filmmakers have arguably lost the plot, turning “War is hell” into a “Can you top this?” competition.

Within all the action, the narrative of young Bäumer making his way, learning what it is to kill, and trying to forge fellowship in his untenable situation plods along. Berger adds some material too. There’s a parallel storyline in which real-life German vice-chancellor Matthias Erzberger tries to broker a peace with the French and others. This is not present in Remarque’s book. So why’s it here? I reckon several reasons: first, to demonstrate that in the Great War, there really WERE some “good Germans,” which when you think about it is neither here nor there in this scheme, as the reader/viewer is meant to at least have some empathy for Paul, who is after all a German soldier. And the intransigence of some of the French delegates in these scenes will bring to mind the years-long humiliation Germany was subjected to by the Armistice agreement, which helped bring about the rise of Hitler. The Erzberger narrative is also intended, one supposes, to build suspense: will the Armistice go into effect before the worst can happen to the characters we’ve come to care about? (Presuming one has indeed come to care about them, which was not my own experience here.)

But this is not the only special pleading the director puts forth. Late in the film there’s a sequence when Paul and his older army friend Katczinsky (Albrecht Schuch) go to steal a goose (to eat, not to adopt as a pet or anything) from a French farm and run afoul of a dead-eyed French boy. I won’t “spoil” the sequence. But I will say that, apart from committing the cinematic sacrilege of using the same Bach choral prelude that Tarkovsky put in his “Solaris,” it is very invested in villainizing French farm boys. To which I can only ask, well, what were the Germans even doing in France at that time anyway?

Ultimately, I found this kind of whataboutism more amusing than disquieting. Maybe I’m just whistling in the dark.

as I'm not an official reviewer I tend to like what entertains me and no look into the depths of why something was made, was there more inteneded, didn't you understand why this scene was in or out etc...

I was "entertained" if one can use that to describe a film about awfulness..
The Germans are absolutely up in arms about it, totally different ending to the classic written by Remarque, that was banned in many parts of the world and burned by the Nazis..... They are very proud (and rightly so), of the original one of the most poignant and antiwar books ever penned
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Just watched a film on Amazon called A Simple Favor which I'd never heard of but really enjoyed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7040874/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

American Manhunt on Netflix

Just released about the Boston Marathon bombing. Really good. Loads of CCTV clips & interspersed with interviews from cops & witnesses. The Chinese kid whose car they stole is a great interview, as is one of the Watertown cops who's a right character.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

If that's the FBI one I got as far as that bloke going off and masturbating during an interview. Should pick up on the rest really.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Amazon Prime The Theory of Everything. :thup:

Starring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, this is the extraordinary story of one of the world's greatest living minds, the renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking.

Very good.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Shabu wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:45 am American Manhunt on Netflix

Just released about the Boston Marathon bombing. Really good. Loads of CCTV clips & interspersed with interviews from cops & witnesses. The Chinese kid whose car they stole is a great interview, as is one of the Watertown cops who's a right character.
I agree, really good documentary.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Shy Ted wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:55 am Amazon Prime The Theory of Everything. :thup:

Starring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, this is the extraordinary story of one of the world's greatest living minds, the renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking.

Very good.
Eddie Redmayne is phenomenal in it
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Just binge watched the whole of the new Netflix series Florida Man. I thought I might recognise a few places but none of it is filmed in Florida though.

Pretty good in that action crime comedy caper kind of thing. Half the sings in it are from Lock Stock & you can see the influence.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Nobody. Pretty good action revenge film. Nothing too taxing with shades of John Wick about it
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Nice film on Netflix called The Mustang about a long term prisoner who gets to do a work release program working with wild horses.

And it changes his ****ing life, don't you know.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

The Night Agent on Netflix a ten parter in the Jason Bourne mold. Won't blow your socks off but perfectly decent 8 hours or so.
stop_hammertime
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by stop_hammertime »

Watched Krigsseileren (War Sailor), a 3 part drama about the Norwegian merchant navy during the second world war. Was previously released as a film for the Oscars but developed into a Netflix show, only around 30 mins longer than the movie. Found it to be a very good watch albeit extremely sad, stayed with me for sure.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26743607/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/war_sailor
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Operation Fortune : Ruse De Guerre [ 2023 ]

d. Guy Ritchie

Jason Statham , Aubrey Plaza , Hugh Grant , Cary Elwes .

This latest Guy Ritchie offering seems to have everything , good production values , great cast and everyone puts in a good performance ....and if you're looking for something to while away a couple of hours you could do worse BUT you could do a hell of a lot better too .

It's Mission Impossible without the laughs .