Cycling

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1605 likes

Re: Cycling

Post by alf git »

Out this morning for the first time in i don't know how long. Went a bit further than i thought i would manage, which was nice. Did get overtaken by a jogger at one point which even by my poor standards was a low point :crylol:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Cycling thread is back :scarfer:

Went out this morning for a brisk one, it is almost spring afterall.

Groin's sore, knees trembling, arse is chaffed and the only highlight was the coffee + pastel de nata.

But we're back!!
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yeh!

Been working the last few weekends so not got out yet but I feel guilty every time I walk passed the garage in the morning, need to give the bikes a good clean and luuuube as not been out on them for 5 months.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

I’m in the market for a new bike, on cycle to work scheme I’ve got £1200 to play with, I don’t want a road bike so I’m looking at a hybrid or gravel bike, I’m gravitating towards a Boardman adv 8.9, anyone got any advice, tia.
alf git

Post by alf git »

I'm going with the reasoning that if i post my nonsense on this thread it will be some kind of motivation.

Yesterday was a smidge over 8.5 miles. Wasn't easy but as it was my first ride in something like 10 months i was happy with it.

Today i intentionally set out to go a bit further. Turns out that it was a mistake. 11.3 miles. What a difference the extra 3 miles made. Found it very uncomfortable and was blowing out of my arse well before the finish.

On to next weekend 🙂
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

As a fair weather cyclist, I'd like to know when the fair weather is due back.
February was nice, but just a tease and March has been a rubbished so far.
Balhamite
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Balhamite »

Arnold

I have a Boardman 8.8 adv (Hybrid), got it through the cycle to work scheme. Had it about 3 years.

It's a great bike. Good spec and rides like a dream, perfect for cycling to work across London.

Make sure you size correctly, there are 3 different sizes as I recall, having the right sized bike makes a huge difference.

I have got several bikes via the Tredz website, would recommend as good prices, speedy delivery and they accept cycle to work vouchers

Hope that helps
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

Arnie, I know Boardman's have a reputation for great value and are highly spec'd for the price. I do detect a slight sneer among the cycling blob, probably more associated with Halfords than the bikes themselves, but they do look the business and score well in reviews.

Have a think over what the primary type of cycling you'll be doing and use this to inform your Hybrid/Gravel choice. From experience Gravel bikes are superb for trails and almost-mountain bike runs through forests and the like, but compare poorly to a decent hybrid on city streets, commutes and tarmaced greenways. Not that they're terrible at that, but do buy appropriate to what type of cycling you will mainly do.

If you're coming down on the side of Gravel then I'd maybe take a look at Planet X Bikes Their entry level's are superb value and mostly squeeze inside your budget.

Happy Revolutions! :newthumb:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Any recommendations for a bike torque wrench set, I don’t want to spend a fortune but don’t want to get something that’s crap.
alf git

Post by alf git »

Arnold Layne wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:01 am Any recommendations for a bike torque wrench set, I don’t want to spend a fortune but don’t want to get something that’s crap.
I was looking into this a couple of weeks ago.
It seems that, on the face of it at least, the affordable sets aren't much cop and the good stuff is overpriced.
I know that's not much help :grin:
If you find something decent let me know.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

I'm going to look at electric bikes this afternoon.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Some useful recommendations and links in this article for good quality budget accessories and accoutrements.

Simpler alternatives to big-name bike products
alf git

Post by alf git »

It was nice out this morning.
🚲
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Was out solo late Friday afternoon, early evening around some leafy lanes while half the world sat in a traffic jam. In the soft evening sun and a freshening breeze it was invigorating.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Any ‘proper’ cyclists have tips on tackling uphill hairpins?

Early on one of my routes there’s a sharp uphill which I never seem to be in the right gear for, and it has two hairpin turns, like a mini ‘Col’, Col D’Kneecrusher I’ve named it.

No matter what approach I take, wide or narrow, or cutting ‘across’ the corner racing line style I always seem to lose momentum and have a struggle coming out of them.

Is there a science to taking these right?
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Right im getting on the bike next week, thanks all
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Last week my brother cycled from one side of the country to the other in one day. Over 320km (200+miles). Took him 13 odd hours. Not bad for a bloke pushing 60.

Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:56 pm Last week my brother cycled from one side of the country to the other in one day. Over 320km (200+miles). Took him 13 odd hours. Not bad for a bloke pushing 60.
Chase the sun route by the looks of it :thup:

https://www.chasethesun.org/uk-south/

It's on the list to try again after our failed attempt with work 10 years ago - one guy had a pretty bad accident and I felt it right to stay behind with him while he got taken to hospital. To be honest after 120 miles I was glad to stop.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:38 pm Chase the sun route by the looks of it :thup:

https://www.chasethesun.org/uk-south/

It's on the list to try again after our failed attempt with work 10 years ago - one guy had a pretty bad accident and I felt it right to stay behind with him while he got taken to hospital. To be honest after 120 miles I was glad to stop.
Yeah, that's what it was called. Didn't realise it was an organised thing. I thought he'd just woke up & decided to do it :crossed: He's always cycling long distances around southern England.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

It was perfect weather for cycling into work this morning. Clear sky, no wind and a hint of autumn crispness in the air.

Fair weather cyclists who only go out in the summer don't know what they're missing out on.

I'm in the middle of my second bike repainting project at the moment - my Muddyfox road bike is turning fluorescent yellow. I'm a complete amateur, but the challenge of taking a bike apart completely, painting it then trying to reassemble it correctly is a lot of fun (or a sad, mid-life cry for help, depending on your perspective).