✍️ Welcome Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Zman39
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Re: Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

Post by Zman39 »

Loses the ball quite a lot but doesn’t seem to lead us in dangerous positions when he does. He puts himself about and is good at interceptions, nicking the ball.

Most importantly, I feel he will improve vastly when Moyes leaves
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

From what I have read from AC Milan fans he is a midfielder who likes to the drive wide with the ball, kind of like Paul Pogba. He never really had much joy there and they would play him in different positions with little effect.

A supposed “Mezzala.” Apparently this is the most wide player in a three man midfield, either the left or right side. This is the player who will move between the midfield and attack.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:54 pm Passing not great
When it comes to passing as a decent comparable in the Team:

Rice is 89.2% with 27.3% forward passes
2 Assists
32 Key Passes

Paqueta is 80.9% with 33.7% forward passes
2 Assists
18 Key Passes

There's definitely some room for improvement with about 8% difference, but considering Paqueta tries more difficult intricate passes, it's still not bad in a new Team and a more intense League.

Under a different style of manager, I do believe he'd improve a lot more.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:03 am
There's definitely some room for improvement with about 8% difference, but considering Paqueta tries more difficult intricate passes, it's still not bad in a new Team and a more intense League.

Under a different style of manager, I do believe he'd improve a lot more.
Everyone's passing including Soucek and Johnson I reckon would improve if they gave each other more options and movement. But would need to break defensive shape and take more risks.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The lack of movement is key. we are static and hold a position no one moves at throw ins or when we have the ball hence the sideways and backwards slow movement before the ball is launched for bowen to win in the air on the wing. no wonder we are 3rd bottom !
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Static and predictable. And we wonder why the likes of Paqueta and Scamacca have struggled..
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:45 am Static and predictable. And we wonder why the likes of Paqueta and Scamacca have struggled..
Scamacca is the most static and predictable of the lot of them. We have struggled often because of him not despite him.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm Scamacca is the most static and predictable of the lot of them. We have struggled often because of him not despite him.
Personally wouldn't blame him for lack of creativity and movement in 10 of the last 13 games because he hasn't played.
More of a team issue imo.

To add to that I though Scamacca and Paqueta look like they could get on the same wave length if we embraced it.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Ironically the two of them crafted a hatful of chances against Southampton in the reverse fixture. All just missed though.
Colours never run

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm Scamacca is the most static and predictable of the lot of them. We have struggled often because of him not despite him.
That's just it, I don't believe he is normally a static, predictable Centre Forward. I've seen countless highlights of his before we bought him that he can operate well by coming deep for the ball either to do something himself with it, or lay it off for others better positioned. He likes to go wide, or come back to the halfway line, always on the go. The lad is athletic and we don't use him enough in that role. And he managed it in 1 of the hardest League's to play against with regards to defending.

Watch 1 min 20 seconds onwards for some examples of what I'm referring too below...

We however, usually keep him up the top of the pitch isolated, even when I can sense he's eager to get more involved making space and coming deeper for the ball. He like the other Centre Forwards seem under strict instruction to be a nuisance up the top end of the pitch and battle for the ball when the crosses get flung in, which isn't his biggest strength, ironically for all his height.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

They're both good. And will be very good for us next season if we make the right managerial appointment.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Watching that vid, I wonder if Scammacca is a bit of a 'fairweather' player. Seemed to be reveling in the glorious sunshine, which we don't see much of in E15.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:11 pm That's just it, I don't believe he is normally a static, predictable Centre Forward. I've seen countless highlights of his before we bought him that he can operate well by coming deep for the ball either to do something himself with it, or lay it off for others better positioned. He likes to go wide, or come back to the halfway line, always on the go. The lad is athletic and we don't use him enough in that role. And he managed it in 1 of the hardest League's to play against with regards to defending.

Watch 1 min 20 seconds onwards for some examples of what I'm referring too below...

We however, usually keep him up the top of the pitch isolated, even when I can sense he's eager to get more involved making space and coming deeper for the ball. He like the other Centre Forwards seem under strict instruction to be a nuisance up the top end of the pitch and battle for the ball when the crosses get flung in, which isn't his biggest strength, ironically for all his height.
Why people dont see this is beyond me. Of course Scamacca is static, that's what he has been instructed to do. Absolutely no movement around him.

For a squad that has Benrahma, Bowen, Fornals, Paqueta and Scamacca can you imagine the attacking play under a different set of instructions?

Not saying we would score 4 goals every game but we wouldn't be in the relegation zone.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:11 pm That's just it, I don't believe he is normally a static, predictable Centre Forward. I've seen countless highlights of his before we bought him that he can operate well by coming deep for the ball either to do something himself with it, or lay it off for others better positioned. He likes to go wide, or come back to the halfway line, always on the go. The lad is athletic and we don't use him enough in that role. And he managed it in 1 of the hardest League's to play against with regards to defending.

I have seen this video so many times now.

For a league that is one of the “hardest” to play against regarding defending how often was he picking the ball up with no defender within 5 yards of him? How often was he getting tap ins or headers with 5 yards of space in the box? He scored something like 3 times last season against teams that finished 9th or above in the league. The difference in overall quality of the PL versus any other league is huge. Yes the best teams in Sierra A etc can compete but the worst would likely struggle in the Championship.

You simply do not get this luxury against any team in the PL, there are no sides where you get that sort of space and time.

He has the potential but his work rate, first touch, vision etc have to improve dramatically to succeed in PL terms and whether they do is down to him not the manager.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:34 pm I have seen this video so many times now.

For a league that is one of the “hardest” to play against regarding defending how often was he picking the ball up with no defender within 5 yards of him? How often was he getting tap ins or headers with 5 yards of space in the box? He scored something like 3 times last season against teams that finished 9th or above in the league. The difference in overall quality of the PL versus any other league is huge. Yes the best teams in Sierra A etc can compete but the worst would likely struggle in the Championship.

You simply do not get this luxury against any team in the PL, there are no sides where you get that sort of space and time.

He has the potential but his work rate, first touch, vision etc have to improve dramatically to succeed in PL terms and whether they do is down to him not the manager.
Serie A has changed a lot. It is far weaker than it used to be.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Soucek gets all the stick, but this guy is awful. Too ponderous and casual with no end product. Inflated tackling stats because he loses the ball so much. I’d bench him him go back to Soucek and Rice, with Fornals or Benny in the advanced role.

An absolute show pony.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

An absolute show pony, yet he was pretty much given MOTM by most for his defensive input against Southampton. The garbage you come out with is just ridiculous at this point.

Soucek gets pelters as he did f*** all. A passenger. Running around without a clue of what to do.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:01 am An absolute show pony, yet he was pretty much given MOTM by most for his defensive input against Southampton. The garbage you come out with is just ridiculous at this point.

Soucek gets pelters as he did **** all. A passenger. Running around without a clue of what to do.
At least Soucek is a competent defensive midfielder. The balance is all over the place with this guy. No wonder Brazil are so rubbish nowadays with guys like this.
master
Has liked: 3213 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by master »

# Team Points Change
1 Brazil 1840.77 -
2 Argentina 1838.38 -
3 France 1823.39 -
4 Belgium 1781.30 -
5 England 1774.19 -
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:01 am An absolute show pony, yet he was pretty much given MOTM by most for his defensive input against Southampton. The garbage you come out with is just ridiculous at this point.

Soucek gets pelters as he did **** all. A passenger. Running around without a clue of what to do.