⚽ West Ham Utd 1-0 Southampton: (2/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Georgee Paris »

NedN wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm I suspect we will need to score 3 to win this. I just have the feeling Saints will get 2, no idea how…
A free kick or a penalty- areola is the worst penalty keeper I’ve ever seen
WestSamToo
Has liked: 420 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:43 pm I'll eat my hat if Southampton don't get spanked here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195231422204 ... media=COPY
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:45 pm , but currently, they are not the worst team in the league
I take the season as a whole and they are currently the worst Team of the lot, having already played the joint most of 28 games.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:55 pm A free kick or a penalty- areola is the worst penalty keeper I’ve ever seen
No need to worry. Fab will be back in goal for this one!
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

IronZ-79 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:40 pm Aguerd, Zouma and Benrahma will all be fasting.

Wonder if that has any bearing on the system we play and who starts
They can be exempt from fasting on the match day with the proviso they can make that days's fast up on a non match day. However some Muslim players have fasted and played in the past so I guess it will up to an individual's choice.

Personally fasting is easier than watching West Ham these days!
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm I take the season as a whole and they are currently the worst Team of the lot, having already played the joint most of 28 games.
That doesn't mean it's the easiest game we can face at all.
They beat Chelsea and drew with spurs during the same period we got a point.
Don't take this the wrong way mate but tbh it sounds you are setting this up to underestimate a very tough game.

We 100% should put in a performance capable of winning the game. Doesn't mean we will as it is a difficult one and moments and circumstances effect individual results.
Personally think we have to win but a point away is a good result for them.
roblo
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by roblo »

Showed against Villa we can grind it out when we need to. Will be a harder test on Sunday but we'll get the three points
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 780 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

every time we've had one of these "if we lose this we're probably down" matches we pull out a result under moyes. while i have a morbid fascination as to what state the west ham faithful would work ourselves into should we fail to win on sunday, i think i'd rather leave it to the imagination.

if we somehow go 1-0 down i'm putting a bullseye on us getting a pen at the other end.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Georgee Paris wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:55 pm A free kick or a penalty- areola is the worst penalty keeper I’ve ever seen
What makes you say that? What does he do to merit such a comment?

Not necessarily disagreeing or digging you out. It's just a very strong statement to make considering he's only had 4 penalties whilst with us, saving 1. The ones he's let in were Ward Prowse, Haaland & MacAllister. All good penalty takers.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm That doesn't mean it's the easiest game we can face at all.
They beat Chelsea and drew with spurs during the same period we got a point.
Don't take this the wrong way mate but tbh it sounds you are setting this up to underestimate a very tough game.
Any game in the Premier League is difficult in it's own right. However that still doesn't mean it isn't the easiest fixture for us being the Home side, playing awful football for most of the season with the points and lack of goals to show for it. They also have effectively a caretaker manager till the end of the season which should also be an advantage to us. Others may regard it as a really tough game but not for me. It should be fairly routine much like the Everton, Bournemouth and Forest Home games were and we've recently played 2 of them whilst down there.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

It wontbe routine with us.
A real relegation battle
Let's hope we are up for it
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 603 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:01 pm This should be our easiest game of the season being at Home against the worst Team in the League still without a permanent manager beyond this season (3rd already this season).
It will probably be their easiest game with our tactics. :winker:
Colours never run

It's sometimes like listening to Moyes here that we are going to respect Southampton too much. This is a Team that has lost the most games this season with 17 losses. They have scored the 2nd least amount of goals and they have conceded the 5th most amount of goals and they have played the most amount of games rock bottom of the League. They also recently got knocked out of the FA Cup to 15th placed League 2 side Grimsby at Home. Their confidence is on the floor. We should not be losing this fixture and if we did we would be in big trouble. They even have twice as many out through injury than us curently with 4, including Che Adams. A draw is bad enough but a loss would be totally unacceptable.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

I dreamt we were 3-0 down by half time. :(
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 667 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Need to win this and my feeling is we will

Comfortable 3-0

Easiest game outside the conference we will play
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

roblo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:13 pm Showed against Villa we can grind it out when we need to. Will be a harder test on Sunday but we'll get the three points
This logic is why so many of our bad results have been seen as permissable .

We grinded out a draw , at home.

Southampton is not harder than Villa and we should expect to best them. Nothing less.
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

I agree we should beat them and I expect us to, I don't expect us to win easily though and of course we're more than capable of f***ing it up.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 315 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Our home form hasn't been the problem so much as we never pick any wins up away, for me if we are to stay up, we will need to win 1 or 2 away games, can we?
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:39 am Our home form hasn't been the problem so much as we never pick any wins up away, for me if we are to stay up, we will need to win 1 or 2 away games, can we?
Also our remaining home games after Sunday we have five, four of which are against top six who we haven't beaten in a long while.. Something has to change.
roblo
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by roblo »

West Ham Matt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 am This logic is why so many of our bad results have been seen as permissable .

We grinded out a draw , at home.

Southampton is not harder than Villa and we should expect to best them. Nothing less.
It's permissible because we are going through a transition period with some bad players, yet still making latter stages of European cups.