Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2676 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Lincolnshire are up in arms over the possibility of Migrants being allocated RAF Scampton as a temporary home .

The argument against seems to stem from a proposed £300m make-over for the base bringing in more housing and facilities , there's a bit of Not In My Back Yard going on - one lady said that bringing in the migrants to RAF Scampton would sully the memory of all those folk who contributed to WW2 from the base .

The Government have looked at Lincolnshire landlords who might be able to house migrants .

Not sure how ' Long Term ' this plan is .

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2023/03/lin ... crackdown/
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 am Lincolnshire are up in arms over the possibility of Migrants being allocated RAF Scampton as a temporary home .
Joined up thinking by the government,House the poor sods in old air bases, then fly them straight from there to Rwanda., no one will ever know.

(I wouldn't put it past them)
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Plan A - redevelop site bringing facilities, education and jobs to the area

Plan B - build a migrant camp

I'm not sure preferring plan A is particularly nimby is it. That would be not wanting either surely.
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:31 am

I'm not sure preferring plan A is particularly nimby is it. That would be not wanting either surely.

No , that is perfectly reasonable .

The lady who said she didn't want the migrants to be housed at RAF Scampton as it would desecrate the memories of everyone who was there during WW1 and WW2 . That was what I consider NIMBY .

In 2018 the Ministry Of Defence announced that RAF Scampton would be sold off with all remaining units to be relocated to other RAF bases by 2022 . The Red Arrows moved to RAF Waddington in October 2022 .

It's now home to a mobile meteorological unit .
The Old Man of Storr

OFT wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:30 am Joined up thinking by the government,House the poor sods in old air bases, then fly them straight from there to Rwanda., no one will ever know.

They could even employ that poor Afghan Pilot to fly them out there as long as he promised to come back for more .
The Old Man of Storr

Zoe Jardiniere said on Newsnight that the Government has deliberately created this migrant crisis as a campaign tool for the next election - she claims that the Tories have stopped processing claims in order to create a backlog then putting the migrants in various temporary accommodation that upsets the locals only to find a solution Election Day .

SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:58 am No , that is perfectly reasonable .

The lady who said she didn't want the migrants to be housed at RAF Scampton as it would desecrate the memories of everyone who was there during WW1 and WW2 . That was what I consider NIMBY .
Sorry was that in the article?

I've seen a historian that is annoyed because he has been misquoted as saying something similar and it's been jumped on by farage. But I don't think even he is local.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:11 am Zoe Jardiniere said on Newsnight that the Government has deliberately created this migrant crisis as a campaign tool for the next election - she claims that the Tories have stopped processing claims in order to create a backlog then putting the migrants in various temporary accommodation that upsets the locals only to find a solution Election Day .

I started wondering about this a couple of weeks ago. That they're keeping the 'migrant crisis' ticking over so the electorate stay fed up with the boats and perceived abuses of the asylum system and will therefore vote for the party the feel will best deal with it, that's if a magic solution doesn't appear shortly before an election is called.

[/cynic]
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:20 am Sorry was that in the article?

I've seen a historian that is annoyed because he has been misquoted as saying something similar and it's been jumped on by farage. But I don't think even he is local.
The lady in question was on BBC Breakfast this morning , mate .
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:11 am Zoe Jardiniere said on Newsnight that the Government has deliberately created this migrant crisis as a campaign tool for the next election - she claims that the Tories have stopped processing claims in order to create a backlog then putting the migrants in various temporary accommodation that upsets the locals only to find a solution Election Day .
One thing she doesn't mention in this theory is the huge jump in claims over the last 2 or 3 years. 2021 saw a jump to about 50,000 from the previous 5 year average of about 30,000. 2022 was just under 75000. Was the processing stopped or just overwhelmed?

Assuming the incompetent rabble were capable of that level of planning how did they manage to get the asylum seekers to wait for the right point in the election cycle to start appealing?
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:32 pm One thing she doesn't mention in this theory is the huge jump in claims over the last 2 or 3 years. 2021 saw a jump to about 50,000 from the previous 5 year average of about 30,000. 2022 was just under 75000. Was the processing stopped or just overwhelmed?

Assuming the incompetent rabble were capable of that level of planning how did they manage to get the asylum seekers to wait for the right point in the election cycle to start appealing?

All good points , Sammy -

What I'd like to know also is , how many of these people trafficker gangs have been busted - can't be that difficult surely ?
SammyLeeWasOffside

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:58 pm All good points , Sammy -

What I'd like to know also is , how many of these people trafficker gangs have been busted - can't be that difficult surely ?
Do they have those seaside shops in France like we do? The ones with the blown up dinghy hanging up outside.

Just stake them out. Can't be that difficult. Hide the police behind the bucket and spade display.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 883 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:56 pm Do they have those seaside shops in France like we do? The ones with the blown up dinghy hanging up outside.

Just stake them out. Can't be that difficult. Hide the police behind the bucket and spade display.
Gives the game away though when they greet you with B'jour, b'jour, b'jour!
SammyLeeWasOffside

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:05 pm Gives the game away though when they greet you with B'jour, b'jour, b'jour!
Could be a cross channel task force

Good moaning sir. I see you have a small bout and 2 whores
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

OFT wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:30 am Joined up thinking by the government,House the poor sods in old air bases, then fly them straight from there to Rwanda., no one will ever know.

:pray:
The Old Man of Storr

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:56 pm Do they have those seaside shops in France like we do? The ones with the blown up dinghy hanging up outside.

That's how you might do it - I however am more qualified -

I always predict the killer in Vera without fail [ it's always the one who seems most innocent ] .

I've got a good track record with Endeavour though percentages are lower than Vera .

Get a few undercover cops to pose as migrants - shouldn't be that difficult .

Failing that , yeah , hide behind the seaside resort booth which sells rubber dinghies .
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

likemydreams wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 am:pray:
Tried to put a hole in our ****, we build boats.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:04 pm Tried to put a hole in our ****, we build boats.
Nope, not a clue...... :eh:
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

delbert wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:22 pm Nope, not a clue...... :eh:
:smiler: auto correct changed ship...

It's a Stormzy lyric. Would've thought you'd be all over that.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

More of a Dizzee fan if I'm honest, Grime for Corbyn was proper cringeworthy......