Takeover talk

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Re: Takeover talk

Post by bonzosbeard »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:37 am Below is a story I read yesterday. Not west ham related but relevant in that a new owner comes along from the middle east.......

Not saying it will happen here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65042578
A timely reminder that not all that glitters turns gold.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:37 am Below is a story I read yesterday. Not west ham related but relevant in that a new owner comes along from the middle east.......

Not saying it will happen here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65042578
Hmm, that certainly does ring a bell...

"He oversaw all signings and many of them were disastrous. The squad planning was very poor, and his managerial appointments were scattergun."

Scattergun is perhaps too kind a description, with Malaga racing through 10 managers in the past five years, including three this season alone.

The most recent incumbent, Sergio Pellicer, returned for his second spell

Results and performances this season have been consistently poor, and Malaga are deep in relegation trouble"

🤔
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

PortCityIron wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:32 pm “Welcome to The Royal Mail Stadium’s Parcelforce Pitch for a packed day of football from the West Ham United Postmen, shipping action straight to your living rooms!”
You can't call them 'Postmen', they always deliver, except when on strike.

Oh ****, West Ham are on strike, as you were!
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

So with this potential Kretinsky purchase of the stadium, does that mean it would get gutted and rebuilt again as the track and moving seats would be unnecessary?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

kitthehammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:38 am So with this potential Kretinsky purchase of the stadium, does that mean it would get gutted and rebuilt again as the track and moving seats would be unnecessary?
It's very likely, in my opinion, which hasn't changed since the day we applied for tenancy.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Guys

Getting a super rich owner means nothing now - we and Newcastle missed the boat on that when FFP came in and the Premier league and UEFA got stiffer with the reviews of the clubs.

You can not just come in and now and throw money at a club now, even Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have been forced to reign in their transfers because they just can't afford it any longer given the three year rule. Unfortunately because we and others have missed the boat it means the big 6 have a clear advantage, and can bring in the odd £70 to 100m player in the summer, we can't do that as our revenues are so piss poor.

This is where not owning the stadium in some ways is a disadvantage because match day revenues inside the ground are sort of capped and the only way to increase revs are through commercial and retail.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Are people worried that Danny boy will be another Sullivan???? The good news is they broke the mould on Sully (thankfully), to have a bloke own the club that would give us a plan and a structured business (which he has done elsewhere), is a huge step forward from a short term, self obsessed muppet…

And there is no way that people are buying football clubs without some sort of personal agenda, be it sports washing, profit, branding…

The days of Jack Walker are long gone
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Rather wary of DK's intentions. He is heavily involved in advanced plans to destroy a national institution.
So got to wonder what he intends to do with us. Not seen enough evidence of what he has done at Sparta Prague, positive or negative either.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by sutts07 »

kitthehammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:38 am So with this potential Kretinsky purchase of the stadium, does that mean it would get gutted and rebuilt again as the track and moving seats would be unnecessary?
Assuming we get UK athletics to agree to a termination of their part of the agreement (that will no doubt cost more than the stadium),I'd imagine we would want to make some permanent modifications.

Any adaptation would have to make commercial sense though, spending millions on creating a better fan experience isn't going to be on anyone's' agenda sadly. That is just the harsh truth.

I can see us following the O2 model and creating an outer ring of food outlets / restaurants and merchandise areas plus an inner ring of corporate boxes. That would allow for a slight reconfiguration and redesign of the seating. I wouldn't expect fundamental changes though.

I honestly can't see someone knocking it down and starting all over again, with build costs and permissions, you'd be talking way over 1bn and the best part of ten years. More likely is a smaller version of what Real Madrid and Barca are both doing over in Spain. Reduce capacity for a season and make some renovations to modify and increase the number of corporate areas. That is where the return on investment is.
Last edited by sutts07 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Does this mean we'd have to share with Chelsea at the bridge if we let them share with us :evil:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Can we please ensure this thread is used specifically to discuss a potential takeover and/or any news that is related to that specifically.

General comments regarding the stadium, such as capacity etc, can be addressed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=164789

Thank you.
Heysel76
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:48 am Rather wary of DK's intentions. He is heavily involved in advanced plans to destroy a national institution.
It seems to me, he gets involved with companies that have absolutely massive potential, that are currently underperforming due to prolonged poor management
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Heysel76 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:31 pm It seems to me, he gets involved with companies that have absolutely massive potential, that are currently underperforming due to prolonged poor management
It is indeed true in the case of RM, that it is extremely badly managed and under performing. Part of that though appears to be a deliberate ploy to run down the letters side of the business (in order to ditch it) and cherry pick the rest, the parcels side.

It's why I wonder what he has done/ is doing at Sparta. Can we get an idea from there or are they more of a plaything, as opposed to just another of his business interests?
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am Assuming we get UK athletics to agree to a termination of their part of the agreement (that will no doubt cost more than the stadium),I'd imagine we would want to make some permanent modifications.

Any adaptation would have to make commercial sense though, spending millions on creating a better fan experience isn't going to be on anyone's' agenda sadly. That is just the harsh truth.

I can see us following the O2 model and creating an outer ring of food outlets / restaurants and merchandise areas plus an inner ring of corporate boxes. That would allow for a slight reconfiguration and redesign of the seating. I wouldn't expect fundamental changes though.

I honestly can't see someone knocking it down and starting all over again, with build costs and permissions, you'd be talking way over 1bn and the best part of ten years. More likely is a smaller version of what Real Madrid and Barca are both doing over in Spain. Reduce capacity for a season and make some renovations to modify and increase the number of corporate areas. That is where the return on investment is.
UK Athletics are dipping into their reserves currently. The CWG at Birmingham have left them with a unique opportunity.

DK will probably take over the stadium and initially it will run as is. However there are ideas floating around from fans that could make it into a cauldron rather than a bowl. However they might not be that feasible.

So realistically with DK taking over, we could see an upturn in fortunes? or we could just coast along like his other football club and their fans are frustrated that they don't win anything.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

We're used to not winning anything under GSB anyway after 13 years of trying without even getting into a Final but have been relegated, possibly again. And as no one else has come forward to take us over to date, I feel we have to try something, even if it also ultimately results in much of the same.
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:11 pm We're used to not winning anything under GSB anyway after 13 years of trying without even getting into a Final but have been relegated, possibly again. And as no one else has come forward to take us over to date, I feel we have to try something, even if it also ultimately results in much of the same.
Sorry I should add that Sparta are one of the biggest and most successful teams in the Czech League and I think they won a cup a few seasons ago but they're expected to be winning the league or at least challenging every season. That's why I said about them being unhappy. There is no progress.
Colours never run

Aye was thinking about Sparta Prague the other day and wondered just how much control Kretinsky has. I say that because we have recently had Kretinsky in the Board on some capacity but everything seems to come from Sullivan still when calling the shots. If that's a simular situation at SP then I can understand why they haven't been successful, relatively speaking.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

It is worth noting that Forbes have updated Kretinsky’s net worth to £7.5 Billion. That is double the £3.7 Billion they listed him at when he took ownership of his stake in the club. I detailed at the time how his real net worth was closer to £15B and that has only gone up. Even using the Forbes number it means at the moment only Newcastle, Man City and Arsenal have richer owners than us. When Man U’s sale goes through their new owners will be richer, but I think realistically Kretinsky is much wealthier than Kroenke, and not too far off Jim Radcliffe or even Sheikh Mansour’s personal wealth (although his family wealth is many multiples of that). The point is our financial backing is better than all but 3 or 4 clubs in the premier league. Kretinsky could easily takeover the rest of the club, buy and renovate the stadium, and pull a Boehly on the playing staff if he wanted… and only set himself back 1 year or so in terms of ffree cash flow.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Kroenke is worth 13 billion and has married into the Walton (Walmart) family. There is no way that Kretisnky is worth anywhere near that.
Billbobtrev
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Billbobtrev »

Kretinsky is the guardian of the kellnerova family trust fund . There worth £17B . Given they and he made a joint bid for Chelsea a few years ago il be astounded if they ain't involved in our takeover.