Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:09 pm Good question. I'm slightly concerned there isn't one for this final! The public ballots for the CL and EL finals are both on the UEFA site already but no sign of one for this competition.

I know last year they confirmed tickets for the Europa League final between the QF and SF.
I can't see the ballot of CL or EL final? Can see hospitality prices have gone up. Be interesting to see if they do the same as last year and have it as bit of a free for all or they include the Conference League for the ballot.

Noticed prices are starting to creep up for direct flights out to Prague over the final week.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:35 pm Can't blame ecl games on our poor form all season. Being positive I have a feeling we are going to finish strongly
The "poor form" started when the Thursdays started to get serious - midway through last season, not just this season. IMO it's no coincidence.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:46 am The "poor form" started when the Thursdays started to get serious - midway through last season, not just this season. IMO it's no coincidence.
Spot on Albie.

Those of us that do home and away are knackered, 2 games a week, all the travelling, on and off of private jets ( that's me, not you), it takes it's toll. Lord alone knows how the players feel having to run around at high intensity and do all the travel etc.

On a serious point, we, as supporters all get hacked off when fixtures get moved - it can't be easy for players either, unable to plan any domestic activities, simple stuff like going out to celebrate a kids birthday etc.Mentally very draining I would suggest.
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:16 am on and off of private jets ( that's me, not you), it takes it's toll
It must be tough for you pinky - I've seen you through the chain-link once or twice, walking to your plane... :D
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:16 am

Lord alone knows how the players feel having to run around at high intensity

I must have missed that...

But didn't our best run this season coincide with ECL and we fell off last season in between December and March when there were no Europa games?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We fell off as the squad needed a refresh in the January window but gsb decided not to and hence another wasted opportunity went by !
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:50 am We fell off as the squad needed a refresh in the January window but Moyes decided not to and hence another wasted opportunity went by !
It was definitely Moyes, he said so...
Mod Life Crisis
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by Mod Life Crisis »

Hermit_Road wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 am Is it not much different than the Intertoto final? Nothing to "Rave" about, a trophy yes, but in name only.
Can’t agree with this at all for a couple of reasons.

The Intertoto is a much-maligned competition, the memory of which seems to get diminished every year. The away games were fantastic experiences; 100+ of us in the Red Light District until nearly sunrise after Heerenveen was brilliant and if you can find anyone from the 5000 who went to Metz away who didn’t enjoy it, I’d like to take their pulse to check that they actually have any life in them. One of the greatest nights of my life. I do accept that a competition that had 3 winners is not as prestigious as one with just the one winner, doesn’t take away the fact that the final meant everything at the time to those present.

Regarding the ECL, it is a proper UEFA competition. We don’t play in Europe enough to be getting precious about the perceived prestige of this competition (otherwise we are no better than those twats from N17). Proper away trips with a couple of decent stadiums so far, with many of us considering Viborg as one of the all-time best trips over a 30+ year period).

I’ve been planning the celebratory tattoo to commemorate winning this since Viborg away and NOBODY will ever convince me it is not a worthwhile competition to win. (In the spirit of balance, one of my crowd cannot get motivated by the ECL and has only gone to Larnaca away; he has statistically seen WHU abroad more than almost anyone on the planet. Obviously he is not planning a trip to his local tattooist).
shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

after taking a 4 year hiatus from going to games due my dislike of how gold and sullivan have operated, i have caved in and purchased a ticket for the home game, missed last year due to my moral stance but i needed to go to this one, 17th and winning the ecl will be the best season in my life time, i simply can not not be a part of it, bring on prague, will be there ticket or not
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Albie Beck wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:46 am The "poor form" started when the Thursdays started to get serious - midway through last season, not just this season. IMO it's no coincidence.
We were poor from about December onwards last season. In fact, pretty much after we beat Chelsea, performances dropped and we never really recovered since (apart from the odd game here and there)
The Overlook
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by The Overlook »

Boleyn_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm Would help if the online eticketing website was working. Missed the deadline to purchase my season ticket seat as was on holiday, not when I try to log on to get a ticket keep getting met with an error 403 message, been like it for days.

Yeah I get the same error message when I'm out and about on my phone, but then it works on a computer when I get home. ****ing irritating!
Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:19 pm We were poor from about December onwards last season. In fact, pretty much after we beat Chelsea, performances dropped and we never really recovered since (apart from the odd game here and there)
Exactly. The first few group games and there wasn't a problem - maybe the novelty carried us through, but by the turn of the year it had all started to build up. That's my theory anyway...
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Spoke to two Spurs fans this week, both are very nervous about us winning a trophy. :lol:
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Pyrmont2000 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:26 pm Had a look on uefa and there was no ballot for the final last year. 8500 tickets were put on general sale and it was first come first served https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferen ... l-tickets/
Would be a bummer if there is no ballot....

I had a look at my history mailings and I subscribed to the ballot April 20 last year. The final is two weeks later this year, so it's pretty normal there is no ballot yet right now. However, if there was no ballot last year for the Conference Final, there is every chance there won't be any for this year as well.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Would personally prefer if it’s first come first served rather than a ballot
Huggie
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Huggie »

Pyrmont2000 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:26 pm Had a look on uefa and there was no ballot for the final last year. 8500 tickets were put on general sale and it was first come first served https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferen ... l-tickets/
It seems they went on sale only 15 days before the final looking at the date on the website.
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Just looked on ticket site... Looks like half the stadium unsold and now on general sale.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hermit_Road wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 am Is it not much different than the Intertoto final? Nothing to "Rave" about, a trophy yes, but in name only.
I don't see any comparisons with the Intertoto. The Intertoto was a 'mini' pre-season competition with three knockout rounds (for us) and multiple winners, of which the prize was qualifying for the Europa qualifiers.

The Intertoto has arguably just as much in common with the Betway cup!
The Straw
Has liked: 595 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:40 pm I don't see any comparisons with the Intertoto. The Intertoto was a 'mini' pre-season competition with three knockout rounds (for us) and multiple winners, of which the prize was qualifying for the Europa qualifiers.

The Intertoto has arguably just as much in common with the Betway cup!
Also, it was about the size of an egg, not a trophy. And there are pretty much no photos online of any teams 'lifting' it because as you say, it was a pre-season tournament that was done by September. Compare that to Roma last year.

Funny how narratives get spun and people pick up on them without thinking. Bit like that Will Still thing about getting his jobs because he played Football Manager.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

They were basically pre-pre qualifiers for the Europa. I'm surprised it's even listed under 'honours' on our wiki page.