Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by EvilC »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:49 am Always fancied one of these... love a Jag. Been eying the E/F-Pace too, though not quite the same thing.
"If you wanna pull a bird buy a Jag, 'cos there's room in the back for a shag." Calf, P.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chigwells finest wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:16 pm there are some fantastic deals on 3 year tesla lease , 1 month down and 35 x £ 585 , which i know isnt cheap , but they want £ 460 pm for a new MG 4 and over 300 miles of range
https://www.leaseloco.com/car-leasing/t ... 0ba/config
Very tempting, only issue is they want £1500 a year insurance and I refuse to pay that
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Tesla are doing some great deals, just be careful on the mileage, as if you do above average the monthly payment rockets.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:01 pm Tesla are doing some great deals, just be careful on the mileage, as if you do above average the monthly payment rockets.
A mate of mine has a Tesla 3 purchased 10 months ago for 53k. He took it into Telsa in Dartford as one of the bumpers had a scuff and you can't buff it yourself. He saw the sales guy who flogged it to him and he tried to persuade him to PX it. He offered him 41k :shocker:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:04 pm A mate of mine has a Tesla 3 purchased 10 months ago for 53k. He took it into Telsa in Dartford as one of the bumpers had a scuff and you can't buff it yourself. He saw the sales guy who flogged it to him and he tried to persuade him to PX it. He offered him 41k :shocker:
That's not really a shock, tesla dropped the price of the model 3 to 42k starting few months ago
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:18 pmThat's not really a shock, tesla dropped the price of the model 3 to 42k starting few months ago
Three year old models starting around 22/23k currently...
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:21 pm Three year old models starting around 22/23k currently...
High milage?

Still not surprising. When the list price is now 42k losing 20k in 3 years is just under 7k a year

£583 a month, that's what a lot of the leases were which is just paying depreciation
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:32 pm High milage?

Still not surprising. When the list price is now 42k losing 20k in 3 years is just under 7k a year

£583 a month, that's what a lot of the leases were which is just paying depreciation
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true

as i thought almost 90k in miles in those 3 years

thats not surprising price considering the reduction in RRP on a new model vs the 30k a year milage
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:42 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true

as i thought almost 90k in miles in those 3 years

thats not surprising price considering the reduction in RRP on a new model vs the 30k a year milage
It’ll be interesting to see how mileage affects electric cars. Far less parts to go wrong, but will the motors and battery hold up?

I’ve had a model 3 performance for the past three years and will be looking to change it soon. Just not sure what to go for next. The Porsche Taycan’s look half decent. BMW i4 look ok. Maybe Merc EQE. I’m not sure I’d stick with Tesla, but I suppose if the price was right, I might.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:52 pm It’ll be interesting to see how mileage affects electric cars. Far less parts to go wrong, but will the motors and battery hold up?

I’ve had a model 3 performance for the past three years and will be looking to change it soon. Just not sure what to go for next. The Porsche Taycan’s look half decent. BMW i4 look ok. Maybe Merc EQE. I’m not sure I’d stick with Tesla, but I suppose if the price was right, I might.
Apparently the Tesla batteries are holding up well, there was a survey and batteries are lasting on average better than thought

You get 8 year 100k mile warranty with majority of manufacture batteries now which helps boost confidence

I'm tempted with the kia niro EV as they know what their doing do Kia, 40k for the model I want with 250 mile range, 7 year warranty on the car, 8 year battery I believe , but even if after that the battery suddenly dropped by 50% I could still do work and back twice on one charge , ofc that's a really ridiculous over the top situation but never know

At least the second hand prices are becoming slightly more sensible

The leafs brand new are 29k , ford focus brand new 27k so similar size cars least the gap there is more realistic

What about the e Tron?
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:00 pm What about the e Tron?
I’m not too keen on the look of the eTron, though GT looks ok. Not great on price though as the Porsche seems to hold value better, despite them basically being the same car platform.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Still can't wrap my head around the price of cars in 2023. Even base models seem to start at absurdly inflated prices. Anyway, my 2006 Golf is still rumbling on. It's even watertight again now, following some judiciously applied mastic around the bit where the roof bars clamp to the door frame.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:54 am Still can't wrap my head around the price of cars in 2023. Even base models seem to start at absurdly inflated prices. Anyway, my 2006 Golf is still rumbling on. It's even watertight again now, following some judiciously applied mastic around the bit where the roof bars clamp to the door frame.
sounds like my juggernaut

a leaked developed in heavy ran like really bad rain. or if snow sat on roof

guy who fixes my cars couldnt find it even with a hose on it.. said best go main dealer as replacement sunroof job (£2000 plus the cost to hire another car whilst they do it)

or cheap option.. flashing tape.. £30 including the rollers for it.. fuse pulled.. sunroof was never used anyways .. car been fine since
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:57 am sounds like my juggernaut

a leaked developed in heavy ran like really bad rain. or if snow sat on roof

guy who fixes my cars couldnt find it even with a hose on it.. said best go main dealer as replacement sunroof job (£2000 plus the cost to hire another car whilst they do it)

or cheap option.. flashing tape.. £30 including the rollers for it.. fuse pulled.. sunroof was never used anyways .. car been fine since
That's my favourite part about bangernomics - diagnosing and fixing the problem without getting an avaricious garage involved. Garage up the road wanted £200+ to remove the front bumper on my wife's golf to reseat a parking sensor - I fixed it myself by adding a drop of hot glue to the front of the sensor and attaching it to a cocktail stick before popping it back into place.

I've also tackled the problem of the failed electric window by using mastic to seal it in place. Means I have to open the door to retrieve parking tickets from barriers, but it's either that or spend a full day dismantling the door and buying & fitting a replacement motor and regulator.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am That's my favourite part about bangernomics - diagnosing and fixing the problem without getting an avaricious garage involved.
Requires selective repairs, spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to replace the intercooler pipe on an old jeep I owned. Didn't work, lost a days money taking the time to try, ended up with bust up knuckles and oil covered hands (despite wearing gloves :swear: ) and having to take the car to the garage anyways.

Used to love tinkering with old fords and minis, but these days not much can be done with a handfull of screwdrivers and a hammer. :grin:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:10 pm Requires selective repairs, spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to replace the intercooler pipe on an old jeep I owned. Didn't work, lost a days money taking the time to try, ended up with bust up knuckles and oil covered hands (despite wearing gloves :swear: ) and having to take the car to the garage anyways.

Used to love tinkering with old fords and minis, but these days not much can be done with a handfull of screwdrivers and a hammer. :grin:
Well yes, when a fuel injector buggered up my wife's Golf 3 days before we were due to drive to SW France, I didn't hesitate to stick it in the garage, where my wallet was duly emptied.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:11 pm ..... where my wallet was duly emptied.
:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I would not even go near a new ish motor nowadays to try and fix anything, I found it hard enough to change a windscreen wiper on a mini recently.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 am I've also tackled the problem of the failed electric window by using mastic to seal it in place. Means I have to open the door to retrieve parking tickets from barriers, but it's either that or spend a full day dismantling the door and buying & fitting a replacement motor and regulator.
Surprisingly easy and cheap if you use OEM parts that are available in eBay.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:39 pm Surprisingly easy and cheap if you use OEM parts that are available in eBay.
I just can’t be arsed - I’d need to check torque details for all the screws and stuff like that, and probably end up buying specific tools just to do this one job. If I had a garage that wasn’t full of *****, I’d probably consider it. But I don’t, so it’s not happening.